Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

fieldgunner

Broken In
Cause it's a disgrace to the series!! It's an enjoyable popcorn film!!! But not worthy of being in the Terminator Series!

Strong views...strongly expressed, too...however...

1. All 'Terminator' films are 'popcorn' films, if by that you mean, films which are to be enjoyed for their form rather than their content, or films which have little intellectual/emotional content, but lots of eye-candy to be enjoyed...

2. The absence of Schwarzenegger- may be a factor for hardcore fans. Bale and Worthington do not have a combined screen presence equaling Arnold, but we all remember the tongue in cheek comments that followed all Terminator movies before saying Arnold was the best choice to play a robot, 'cause he couldn't act anyway...

3. Action/Special FX/Pyrotechnics- Good enough for me. Not groundbreaking like T2, of course, but still decent. Definitely not cliched/boring/obvious.

4. Plot/Script - at par with the other movies, insofar as it is just a device to showcase the action...

So, I'll still recommend it, without getting too emotional about it.

A couple of trends I've noticed on this thread, even in myself, so no one should take this personally...

Sometimes we tend to overanalyse a movie like professional critics...it's okay if thats your thing but I feel a critic never truly enjoys a movie...even a good one, because he is subconsciously looking for faults...

Secondly, we often recommend obscure/foreign/old films, for no reason other than it seems to be an intellectually superior thing to do...and become movie snobs in the process. I'm not saying that all such films recommended here were bad...just that often they were not for me, and i found myself wondering why it was even recommended, except for the fact that it was exotic...

I apologise if this offends anyone. Guys, I think as audience members, we should have the capacity to judge films irrespective of imdb/rottentomatoes ratings. If I wanted a critics opinion on which films to watch, I'd visit only those sites. I visit this thread to get audience reactions, not critical analysis.

Anyway...no offence meant to anyone.

Cheers.

Krow

Crowman
Haha.. Nicely put. I stopped visiting imdb for ratings like six months ago. Never went Rotten Tomatoes in the first place. Till date, I have only recommended the movies which I liked. I don't expect everyone to like them, but I usually mention that in my posts. :)

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Sometimes we tend to overanalyse a movie like professional critics...it's okay if thats your thing but I feel a critic never truly enjoys a movie...even a good one, because he is subconsciously looking for faults...

IMO, critics or no critics, a movie should be something which should have the power to blow u away.

And, critics are not born, they became. After watching enough movies, u start finding resemblance b/w two movies. U start recognizing cliches, plot holes.
It happens when u start taking cinema very seriously. There are two type of movie viewers, one is to who a movie is just a movie (a barely timepass), but to the other a movie is something else, a learning experience, a source of knowledge etc.
This second type tends to critique cinemas.
Its not they are always finding loopholes but its just that they have seen enough that the loopholes which are overlooked by others are visible to them.

Secondly, we often recommend obscure/foreign/old films, for no reason other than it seems to be an intellectually superior thing to do...and become movie snobs in the process. I'm not saying that all such films recommended here were bad...just that often they were not for me, and i found myself wondering why it was even recommended, except for the fact that it was exotic...

C, this is totally wrong to say why a movie is recommended though u didn't like it.
He who posted it good, sure found something that he liked very much.

I apologise if this offends anyone. Guys, I think as audience members, we should have the capacity to judge films irrespective of imdb/rottentomatoes ratings. If I wanted a critics opinion on which films to watch, I'd visit only those sites. I visit this thread to get audience reactions, not critical analysis.

Cheers.
U need not to apologize, u surely made some good points.

And about ratings, I support ur view.
I always say, watch unbiased and make ur own opinion.
Then say what u liked and what not.

About critical analysis...hmmm......

a_medico

Chillum Baba
If I wanted a critics opinion on which films to watch, I'd visit only those sites. I visit this thread to get audience reactions, not critical analysis.

Personally, I prefer critical analysis of few members on this thread over that on the professional sites. It is in simple language and easy to comprehend as compared to those sites. And its logical, to the point, without much using the ornamental language!

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!

1. All 'Terminator' films are 'popcorn' films, if by that you mean, films which are to be enjoyed for their form rather than their content, or films which have little intellectual/emotional content, but lots of eye-candy to be enjoyed...
While I agree that both T1 and T2 can be considered as popcorn films , but they were groundbreaking when they released , highly influential even today and it was a something
the audience haven't seen before! T:S is just another decent action flick.That's it! Nothing more ,nothing less! While I enjoyed it ,I won't watch it more than once! And I doubt if anyone else will! When it comes to T1 and specially T2 its total case all together!
3. Action/Special FX/Pyrotechnics- Good enough for me. Not groundbreaking like T2, of course, but still decent. Definitely not cliched/boring/obvious.
It reminded me of Transformer so much! :))
4. Plot/Script - at par with the other movies, insofar as it is just a device to showcase the action...
By other movies you mean T1 and T2????? o.0 ...you think it's story is as good as T2!!

Not true! While it's true that some of us analyze film more than average film goers , but then again because we don't watch films just for passing time!
About old films, Since they didn't have any fancy CGI or effects back then , the script had much better treatment back then! I mean films like 12 ANGRY MEN or SUNSET BLVD. or CITY LIGHTS and many others are timeless! Their story is so good that it can never get old!
Of course we have films with great script even in current generation,Case in point Eternal Sunshine Of A Spotless Mind, but you don't see them often!
About foreign films, well it's still a movie isn't it? :)) Doesn't matter which country it is from as long as its good!

And I know what you're saying! I mean I've seen movie snobs saying KING KONG 33' s stop motion effect is better than KING KONG 05's CGI effect! . :))

Cheers.
Lol. You shared your thoughts! Whats there to apologize ! :)

About IMDB/RT , while they're not perfect in anyway but I found a great lot of films because of them! I mean I would've never seen lost gems like Barry Lyndon, if not for IMDB! :))

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Seems like the Mexican version of 21 grams. Even the director is the same.

Must watch. Its a class on its own. I really liked the selection of music and the color scheme. Of course you have to tolerate the REEECHEEE part :D

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Carriers - 7/10. Well acted thriller movie, but could have been provided with better explanation of how the infection actually started out. The movie has a good chance of receiving a prequel.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Cause it's a disgrace to the series!! It's an enjoyable popcorn film!!! But not worthy of being in the Terminator Series!

They should have stopped after T2 was completed. Both T3 and T4 were useless. The 3rd one had a woman as a terminator, and 4th one had..do not know, what they were trying to do....even John Conners is made to look like a looser. Hell, the kid from T2 could have whipped Bale in T4...!

Only saving grace was Sam Worthington. What really cheezed me off, was the end scene "take Sam's heart" to keep John Alive. Groaaaaaaan. Even hindi movies do not show that. In a post apocolyptic world, heart transplants are possible. Double groaan.

All 'Terminator' films are 'popcorn' films, if by that you mean, films which are to be enjoyed for their form rather than their content, or films which have little intellectual/emotional content, but lots of eye-candy to be enjoyed...

Not contesting this point, but putting my views forward -- being a movie buff.

Yes, all 4 'are' popcorn films. 1 and 2 were made with the same frame of mind. Quick-money spinners (like most big action movies). But both of these movies evolved too cult status. Now how does that happen. A certain 'click' happens with the audience, and the movie become popular/famous for reasons it was not made for.

T3,T4 tried to capitalize on this factor, but failed miserably.

Krow

Crowman
^That film got poor ratings. Do you rate it for the story or the animation? Asking this only because you are into animation yourself. :)

Nithu

I'm in 3D Grafix world!!!
^That film got poor ratings. Do you rate it for the story or the animation? Asking this only because you are into animation yourself. :)

only for animation buddy:lol:... not the story:x... its not good as UP.

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
disturbia
its really a must watch for all ppl who are into suspense thrillers genre
:lol:

I've loved you so long (French) 4.5/5 the female lead just destroys any competition in the best actress award category for 08.a shame that the oscars suck as much as the grammys.a definite must watch for the acting and great debut direction.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Lord Of War...... one of the better performances of Nic cage, as an arms dealer, the film is based on actual events and very very realistically portrays what goes behind this arms dealing business, politically, financially and emotionally as well as far as Nic is concerned. Very nicely crafted movie...... 6.8/10

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
@rhitwick *www.imdb.com/title/tt1068649/

dunno why but unless its horror i dont mind which genre my movie is.quite ironic because i dont dig music without knowing the genre at first

Ethan_Hunt

Aspiring Novelist
Now that I'm back to my usual movie watching spree, would just like to provide update on the last 3 movies I saw. I'll ditch the traditional rating method, like I used to do before and just post my views on 'em.

American Virgin (2009). My brother had got this movie for some reason, assuming it would be a usual Rob Schneider fun fair; it wasn't. Not that I expected a great deal from this movie, but it was downright awful. So not recommended.

The Soloist (2009). The movie is really slow and tested my patience. A story about friendship and supporting a schizophreniac with his love for music was the theme for this movie. Good, but not great.

500 Days of Summer (2009). The narrator in the beginning specifically says "This is a story of boy meets girl. But you should know up front; this is not a love story." Now how the f*ck can two elements like "Boy" and "Girl" co-exist in movies and NOT be a love story? :blink:

Anyway, yes this is about love and all the mushy things that go along with it. I enjoyed it. It did have thay typical boy-meets-girl-gets-crush-falls-in-love start, but it's displayed in a weird flashback sequences. It's not linear and shows 500 days spent with Summer (not the season, the female love interest) in random counts. What "almost" killed the film was it's ending, only to realise what the narrator's message was towards the end. It's a good afternoon flick.

I just got 'Chasing Amy' after watching a small portion of it yesterday on Sony Pix. I loved the first half an hour. Let's hope the movie sustains. Heading off now, will report back.

Top Bottom