Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Mile22.... turned out ok..... action is great but in parts, shakey camm is ok as far as I am concerned, but to construct an action scene cuts every 0.5 sec is horrible and has become boring ...... The only saving grace is Iko Uwais with the beginning handcuff fight scene... that was done beautifully..... 6.5/10 for this one....

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Kuch Bheege Alfaaz - Those who crave for hidden bollywood gems, add this one to your list. Of you loved The Lunchbox, chances are you'll like this one too. Sad, nobody bothers about such movies.

I do .. and I keep looking for such hidden Geme ... where did you watch it?..

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Kuch Bheege Alfaaz - Those who crave for hidden bollywood gems, add this one to your list. Of you loved The Lunchbox, chances are you'll like this one too. Sad, nobody bothers about such movies.
Have seen it already.
The movie is too sweet, I mean tooooo much sugar.
Watched on recco. of couple of my female friends and I know why they loved the movie so much.
I do .. and I keep looking for such hidden Geme ... where did you watch it?..
Netflix.

Flash

Lost in speed
^^Ghost Rider 2 is not even worth mentioning & as for 1st part it is just avg.
Marvel should reboot Ghost rider with a younger actor for Johnny Blaze, or a different version of Ghost rider with Danny Ketch/Robbie Reyes. It's almost 10 yrs since 1st GR was released.
With mesmerizing CGI like the ones used in Doctor Strange/Infinity War, the reboot can very well portray Ghost rider and his CGI in his awesomest form.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Marvel should reboot Ghost rider with a younger actor for Johnny Blaze, or a different version of Ghost rider with Danny Ketch/Robbie Reyes. It's almost 10 yrs since 1st GR was released.
With mesmerizing CGI like the ones used in Doctor Strange/Infinity War, the reboot can very well portray Ghost rider and his CGI in his awesomest form.
Yes but other than that most important point is story,they should stick close to comics or at least adapt one that is not too much deviated from it.

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
The name itself is hidden...thanks for bringing it here

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Hi.. Sorry for the late reply.. Was traveling. Watched it on a flight. Tried to search on prime later but wasnt there. Looks like it's on netflix.

quan chi

mortal kombat
2.0 (3D)
This film had so much potential. BUT...yes But....overall couldn't do well. Story is good with a really good message. VFX is very good considering the Indian standards. The problem of this film is its execution yes its a bit boring compared to Robot, in spite of having less cringe worthy, stupid scenes and only 1 song. As a viewer I am not completely satisfied. It looks like this movie needed some more time. Anyways overall it is far better than the trailer and I would recommend Rajeev masand's review and ratings for this film. Do watch it if you can. I will support films like these instead of those other bollywood craps.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

2.0 (3D)
This film had so much potential. BUT...yes But....overall couldn't do well. Story is good with a really good message. VFX is very good considering the Indian standards. The problem of this film is its execution yes its a bit boring compared to Robot, in spite of having less cringe worthy, stupid scenes and only 1 song. As a viewer I am not completely satisfied. It looks like this movie needed some more time. Anyways overall it is far better than the trailer and I would recommend Rajeev masand's review and ratings for this film. Do watch it if you can. I will support films like these instead of those other bollywood craps.
Having only 1 ending credits song is fine by me. But still some flaws and the ending.
Also, second half is stretched for long.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
2.0 had so much potential. It could very well be on par if not more than hollywood counterpart. The movie doesn't lack in the VFX department, and I would say it doesn't even lack 'much' in the pacing. Where it fall short was the depth. There was little to none character development. There were no grey characters. There were only one sided characters. They never really went truly deep into the psyche of character motivations, except of course the villian.
I thought the movie needed a better storywriter to pack in some emotional punch, as I found the movie lacking severely of heart. Events kept on happening one after the other with no time to engage in any character emotionally. I think it just shows the lack of maturity as a storyteller. Just on screen extravaganza isn't much. The movie was only targeted towards Rajni fans, and it showed. I found the 1st part to be draggy, since they took really long time to introduce the real villain. Flying phone sequence was too lengthy for example.

Maybe my expectations were too high. But a movie which doesn't leave it's impression on you, is a waste of such extravagant work which was done in it.

Now let's talk about some pros too:
VFX, brilliant I would say. And there was lots of it. The scale was huge. Watching Indian cities getting destroyed was great for a change. :p
Rajni of course. He still is a very versatile actor even at his current age. Rajni 2.0 seemed so young in comparison and so different than 1.0.
Akshay Kumar as villian: Whoa. Such brilliance. The VFX and detailing on his villain costume was so great that for the first time I thought of using a still from an Indian film as wallpaper.
Amy Jackson: I didn't know she was of British origin. Kinda makes sense now. :wub:

Some examples of lacking depth:
Film mentioned that the robots were made to follow Asimov's laws for example, but never clarified what laws. Did they just assumed viewers already know?
Amy Jackson robot was seen as having an infatuation with the Robot. But when he really came, not much was built up on it. Just some flirting by 2.0.
When Rajni 1.0 was torn apart in the middle of the street, the Amy Jackson robot could have handled the villain for atleast some duration. She was so good, but the movie dumb her down so much. The only robot which could have saved the day was Rajni. Of course. I felt the Amy Jackson was under utilized.
Then the stadium sequence. Brilliantly done. But again no contribution from the general public themselves. It was like they were not even there. Literally not there. When 2.0 turned into ball of shooting guns, he was not even aware that the bullets may even hit public?
Remember that scene in Spiderman 2, where spiderman saves a train from falling of the tracks? Then he fainted? Then general public saved him from falling down? It was great. Intense. And really respected public too. So much could have been done with 2.0, in similar way. But no, Rajni is god. Only he can save us.

*no disrespect to Rajni fans.

quan chi

mortal kombat
2.0 had so much potential. It could very well be on par if not more than hollywood counterpart. The movie doesn't lack in the VFX department, and I would say it doesn't even lack 'much' in the pacing. Where it fall short was the depth. There was little to none character development. There were no grey characters. There were only one sided characters. They never really went truly deep into the psyche of character motivations, except of course the villian.
I thought the movie needed a better storywriter to pack in some emotional punch, as I found the movie lacking severely of heart. Events kept on happening one after the other with no time to engage in any character emotionally. I think it just shows the lack of maturity as a storyteller. Just on screen extravaganza isn't much. The movie was only targeted towards Rajni fans, and it showed. I found the 1st part to be draggy, since they took really long time to introduce the real villain. Flying phone sequence was too lengthy for example.

Maybe my expectations were too high. But a movie which doesn't leave it's impression on you, is a waste of such extravagant work which was done in it.

Some examples of lacking depth:
Film mentioned that the robots were made to follow Asimov's laws for example, but never clarified what laws. Did they just assumed viewers already know?
Amy Jackson robot was seen as having an infatuation with the Robot. But when he really came, not much was built up on it. Just some flirting by 2.0.
When Rajni 1.0 was torn apart in the middle of the street, the Amy Jackson robot could have handled the villain for atleast some duration. She was so good, but the movie dumb her down so much. The only robot which could have saved the day was Rajni. Of course. I felt the Amy Jackson was under utilized.
Then the stadium sequence. Brilliantly done. But again no contribution from the general public themselves. It was like they were not even there. Literally not there. When 2.0 turned into ball of shooting guns, he was not even aware that the bullets may even hit public?
Couldn't agree more .You have covered almost everything properly. I was tired and also felt a bit lazy to type these things. Anyways what I also felt was may on paper this movie was far better but they couldn't reproduce all of it on screen due to various limitations. I am saying this because the main hero of this movie 2.0 (evil robot) was introduced so late that they had to rush to end the movie..and we could really feel it. They could have used some innovative ideas for his scenes and his screen presence should have been more than what we get, since as a character 2.0 is far more interesting and badass than its 1st version. Also missing is the entire screenplay of Dhinendra Bohra and the antagonist.
You cannot release someone just like that and disappear! I mean WTF was that.

In short 2.0 is the matured version of Robot but without any soul.

Last edited:

Zangetsu

In short 2.0 is the matured version of Robot but without any soul.
2.0 was present from Robot itself, but was developed for Destruction by Danny.
Here in this version he was reincarnated from the destroyed chip.
Its only when Chitti couldn't save vasigaran, 2.0 was required to save the world. and 2.0 developed 3.0 :)

ashs1

Padawan
Most reviews are praising Sara Ali Khan. Overall, story seems meh..might go this Sunday.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
So I watched Kedarnath yesterday night.
Despite not having much appreciation about romantic movies I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. From the picturesque view of Kedarnath right from the amazing opening aerial shot to the ending, the visuals are appealing.

It's a romantic movie amidst the Uttarakhand flood which came in 2013. Although it could have been great if the movie were to be based on this disaster at its core, but it's not and actually the disaster is just a small part in the end. So expectations needs to be settled down before anyone decides to watch it in a theater.

The movie manages to keep away from many Bollywood tropes and that's why it felt better, although not by much, but it's not that bad. I liked the female lead, Sara Ali Khan. Enough 'exposure' to keep you interested. While her character of a perky girl is what most of today's youth wants, history is proof that when boys really encounter such perky girls they come of as nothing but an attitude ridden snob, like most of Delhi girls are (no offense to any Delhi girl in particular). So that's why I couldn't 'enjoy' the character per se, but as the story goes she was a delight to have. She will break stereotypes like Geet from Jab We Met.

While most wouldn't like the ending, and many would see it coming, I still wish this would be a full blown disaster movie that focus on how people survived rather than a "limbering rom com where the flood is just a plot device" movie. But that's just wishful thinking.

Heavy spoiler...
Despite the fact that I don't like happy endings as much as realistic endings and daring endings, I still wish the ending to have been a happy one in this case. Reason being that the flood was already a glooming reality of the movie, and so a happy ending would have been great. But I guess the story tellers wanted to showcase the impact the floods had and how it led to thousands of missing persons. I just feel SO bad for the hero's mom, to whom the hero pledges that he would return. Alas he wasn't able to.

Or was he? I would still like to fantasize that he was just missing and that somehow he managed to survive and got reunited with his mom.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
While her character of a perky girl is what most of today's youth wants, history is proof that when boys really encounter such perky girls they come of as nothing but an attitude ridden snob, like most of Delhi girls are (no offense to any Delhi girl in particular). So that's why I couldn't 'enjoy' the character per se, but as the story goes she was a delight to have. She will break stereotypes like Geet from Jab We Met.
:lol: there goes your potential dating choices.

ashs1

Padawan
Watched Kedarnath Today..like I expected, overall the story was meh.. thankfully, it was short(runtime : 2h)..But, I liked the cast..impressive debut by Sara Ali Khan and yet another powerful performance by sushant Singh Rajput. The visuals of Uttarakhand were stunning.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 Pro using Tapatalk

Top Bottom