Movies Discussion Thread V1: Ratings and Opinions

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
The Place Beyond the Pines (2012) - 8/10
Excellent movie with good story, superb acting by Ryan Gosling & Bradley Cooper.
Must watch movie for all Crime/Drama fans.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Independence Day: Resurgence 4/10

Just makes no sense, not at all.

Hereditary 7.5/10

I think I understand less now than I assumed seeing the trailer.
Successfully creates an eerie atmosphere but then I did not get the ending.
And, how is it related hereditary?

Cook-up a stoorm 6/10

I like such food related movies but this one was not that good.
In recent times, I've seen two movies which are really good on this genre "Eastside Sushi" and "Macher Jhol".

Tomb Raider (new one, forgot the tagline) 6/10

First 1hour is a good build up then last one hour makes no sense.
The leading lady sure had to go through a lot of actions (if body double not used) but, not worth it.
Now that I think of it, in movie genre, "Tomb Raider" and "Indiana Jones" are on same theme. And the kind of impression the later has created over time can hardly be shadowed by this.
If they want to continue this series, they need to sort the storyline first.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
UPGRADE .....ON HELL OF a movie ...after a long time, I was completely blown by a movie ...... not coz of its story .. like AI takes over the control. that has been done many times, but the execution was class apart .... I anyhow love Action, but if its Dark, Gritty, Violent then I love it.... add to it sci-fy and Thrill and blend it to near perfection and you will get UPGRADE. This movie has all, and to just the exact amount, not more not less, just about right dose, and that made it a joy ride. Then the ending, I just loved the way it ended ..... performances are top notch ...... there is nothing I can complain about this movie as such ...even though yes the plot was predictable to the extent that AI will take over, it still brought a twist I was not expecting ....... its a rare 7.8/10 for this one .....

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
People keep talking all the time can led to a good movie too. Case in point, "Man from Earth". But it has to be engaging enough.

I second your opinion, I loved Man from earth. .......Sunset limited was awesome as well ... SL has only two people talking, but it was one hell of an engaging movie ...

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
UPGRADE .....ON HELL OF a movie ...after a long time, I was completely blown by a movie ...... not coz of its story .. like AI takes over the control. that has been done many times, but the execution was class apart .... I anyhow love Action, but if its Dark, Gritty, Violent then I love it.... add to it sci-fy and Thrill and blend it to near perfection and you will get UPGRADE. This movie has all, and to just the exact amount, not more not less, just about right dose, and that made it a joy ride. Then the ending, I just loved the way it ended ..... performances are top notch ...... there is nothing I can complain about this movie as such ...even though yes the plot was predictable to the extent that AI will take over, it still brought a twist I was not expecting ....... its a rare 7.8/10 for this one .....

Sounds so similar to upcoming Venom movie.

There symbiote takes over and does a deal with the host, here too.
Though I've not seen Upgrade, seems to be in similar theme.

Yes, too much generalizing I agree.

Need to see upgrade. Is it in Amazon or Netflix or just out there?

icebags

Technomancer
current Johny English movie that i saw couple of days ago, was good enough. good humor.
but Predator movie was kinda headless entertainment.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Venom 6/10

1 hr is taken for build up and then an underwhelming climax.
Better than Deadpool (in terms of story)
Deadpool(1 as well as 2) did not have a 1 hr buildup & certainly not an underwhelming climax.Though your conclusion matches my expectations based on what I saw in Venom trailers.

Allu Azad

Time Ruins Everything
Upgrade - 8/10

thanks sam for the suggestion. Needed a fast movie and this was it. 1.30 hours well spent.

Why do you think Eron did not just smash stem? May be he was curious how far stem will go?
Why did he agree for the wife's killing? Maybe he didn't know the details of stem's plan?

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
Upgrade - 8/10

thanks sam for the suggestion. Needed a fast movie and this was it. 1.30 hours well spent.

Why do you think Eron did not just smash stem? May be he was curious how far stem will go?
Why did he agree for the wife's killing? Maybe he didn't know the details of stem's plan?
Yes 8/10 from me too.
Ending is superb

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Andhadhun 7.5/10

Verdict:
After a long long time (since Kahaani) I cursed when it showed "Interval". I mean intervals in movies are expected in India, we know it would happen, we know it's coming but at times like this you just wish had it not happened today at least. Andhadhun begs for a continuous flow and that curse for the ineveitable interval is its win on audience. Go for it.

Full review posted here: The Movie Review Thread

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Hichki 5/10

Mostly based on the book "To sir with love".
Killed by melodrama and saved by Rani Mukherjee.

Hichki is not even remotely based on the book or movie "To sir with love" Hichki movie is a copy of a movie called "Front of the class" which was 10 times better than Hichki

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Hichki is not even remotely based on the book or movie "To sir with love" Hichki movie is a copy of a movie called "Front of the class" which was 10 times better than Hichki
I beg to differ, but making the teacher challenged in any body form is not really creative that does not make it a totally new movie.

As you are saying "Hichki" is not based on "To sir with love", I'll assume that you've read the book (and not comparing it with the movie of same name).
The main concept is same, the main plot points are same. They just took the concept and made their own version around it.

We already had "Sir" acted by Naseeruddin Shah on same concept a long back.

Basically "To sir with love" is hugely popular book and every country in every language did some movie/plays around the same concept.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
The "ONLY" thing common is teacher and student .... the entire content of both movies is completely different. By your logic, all courtroom movies are same then since all involve lawyers and judges and show some sort of legal system. Hichki is a movie about "Tourette's Syndrom" and how a teacher overcomes this limitation to successfully become a teacher .... same is with front of class.

To sir with love is NOT about a person becoming a teacher. Its about a man who already IS a teacher and the complications he faces being a BLACK man in a white high school students and how he manages to overcome this.

Both movies are miles apart.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not all movies can be successfully adapted into regional/local language without some pretty good script modification & brilliant acting.Only hindi movie that I know of successfully doing it is "Ek Ruka Hua Faisla" which is an adaptation of classic "12 Angry Men". This movie actually adapted the diference between jurors brilliantly in Indian context with issues like slums vs rich,marathi vs outsiders,old generation vs new etc.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
The "ONLY" thing common is teacher and student .... the entire concent of both movies is completely different. By your logic, all courtroom movies are same then since all involve lawyers and judges and show some sort of legal system. Hichki is a movie about "Tourette's Syndrom" and how a teacher overcomes this limitation to successfully become a teacher .... same is with front of class.

To sir with love is NOT about a person becoming a teacher. Its about a man who already IS a teacher and the complications he faces being a BLACK man in a white high school students and how he manages to overcome this.

Both movies are miles apart.

The movie surely not about "Tourette's Syndrom", the movie is still about how a teacher brings in line a class full of unruly students. "Tourette's Syndrom" is here the discomfort that "To sir with love" did with the teacher being "black".

"To sir with love" is a brilliant book about how a black teacher is given the responsibility of a total messed up class. If he fails to bring them in order, he goes out.
If you look closely, "Hichki" too deals with same concept.

b/w if your opinion is on the movie version of "To sir with love", that was a shitty movie. I've read the book and watched the movie too. I can make the difference.

By your logic, all courtroom movies are same then since all involve lawyers and judges and show some sort of legal system.
Aren't you generalizing too much here?
Every courtroom drama is different, I've that much grey matter to make the difference.

But, if two movies deal with same core concept, I'll call them "SIMILAR" and "INSPIRED".

Top Bottom