Mounting DVD-Writer and Win NTFS partitions in Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Hi,
I have a SATA DVD-Writer and SATA HDD. I have installed XP, Vista and VectorLinux in the system...

In Linux, the Windows partitions were not mounted automatically by VectorLinux, so I went to /etc/fstab and added lines like
/dev/sda1 /mnt/winc ntfs umask=0 0 0
for each of the partitions (for some reason sda2,3 and 4 are not regular partitions and sda5 refers to win D:). Now the partitions are accessible... I have ntfs-3g installed and wondered if changing ntfs to ntfs-3g will be enough or should I make some additional changes to the line...

Also, for the DVD-Writer, there are two entries in fstab
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 users,noauto,r0
/dev/sr0 /mnt/dvdram iso9660 users,noauto,r0
What are these two entries for? One for CDs and another for DVDs? Do they allow burning?

Thanks in advance,
Arun

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
I haven't used vectorlinux which Slackware based so the information may also be incorrect:)

for mounting of drive install ntfs-config & run it will automatically scan & mount all drives by itself.

have you tried reading & writing CD/DVDs do they give any error??
AFAIK optical drives are mounted automactically so you don't need to mess around;)

Last edited:
OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
Ok, I will try installing ntfs-config tonight... Is there any command to run after ntfs-config is installed? I will let you know what happens...

I havent yet used CD on Linux, will try it tonight... My doubt is why there are two entries, when I have only one SATA DVD-Writer...

Arun

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
after you install ntfs-config just run it either from terminal being root:)
Code:
ntfs-config

OP
S

sakumar79

Technomancer
I opened Package manager, but ntfs-config is not listed in it... I went to their website but package download for ubuntu only seems to be available... Tried downloading the source and compile - successfully ran configure and make; make check gives error warning (a long list of mismatched quotes in .py files), and then make install also seems to fail...

Anyway, ntfs-3g page has sample fstab line, so will try it out later today...

Arun

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
I don't know why anyone hasn't pointed out yet, but replacing all NTFS with NTFS-3G in FSTAB will work just fine. That's what ntfs-config is meant to do, anyway, using a very easy 1-2-3 GUI.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Also, change iso9660 to auto. That would be much better since DVD's use UDF and audio cd's use cdfs and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom