motherboard upgrade help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsmsikar

Journeyman
hi mates

i need ur advice to upgrade my PC ,
i have a Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.50GHz processor with Intel D850MD motherboard and 64 x 2 = 128MB RDRAM .
now i want to increase the ram but i m unable to get the RDRAM at an affordable price, as i want to run windows XP with service pack 2 so i have to upgrade it ...
when i search the market i found that Socket mPGA-478 motherboards and processors are discontinued/obsolete... but i am getting a new motherboard from Kobian P4VM800M , and using that motherboad i can increase the RAM and as the specs of this board discribes , it has many new features too ,
please advice me ?

please help

thanks

GeekyBoy

In the zone
Check out *www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/Kobian/P4VM800M

for the motherbord's specifications.I dont think this is a good motherboard.The onboard graphics is weak,but it has AGP 8X slot.As this motherboard does not support RDRAM,I guess you have to change your RAM as well.Get 256 MB DDR 400 MHz RAM for light office work or 512MB DDR 400 MHz for gaming.

I advice you to buy an Intel D865GBF motherboard which has a mPGA-478 socket as it offers very good performance.

vijay_7287

Cyborg Agent
yeah get an 865gbf board
and atleast 512 mb of DDR 400 RAM
to run XP smooth along with other appliations on it

puja399

In the zone
Unless ur too low on cash, I suggest that u get a PCIe motherboard and not AGP. And when ur upgrading ur mobo as well as RAM, try to get a now processor too, 915 may be a good choice because of GMA900.

shovik

Banned
the motherboard you are going for is not at all upto the mark. though mPGA-478 socket is discontinued they give execellent performance. If you have modest budget then you can try for intel's 865GBF with a mPGA-478 processor of atleast Pentium 4 2.8Ghz or else you can go for AMD motherboards with socket 754 such as the MSI RS482M-IL with a Sempron 64 or AMD Athlon 64. Also get about minimun of 512MB of system memory.

All the above solution should come into a budget of 12,500, though it seems a bit high but you can be sure of future proofing.

Happy computing..........

OP
gsmsikar

gsmsikar

Journeyman
thanks for replying..

first i dont want to install any graphics card/
second i also need to have windows 98 with windows xp SP2 ..

now ?

OP
gsmsikar

gsmsikar

Journeyman
now what should i do , should i buy that motherboard or buy a new board with processor ,
i m also thinking of an AMD 64 Sempron 2500+ processor with ASUS K8V-MX-UAYKZ motherboard , but it will be costly as it will double my investment ,

*www.motherboards.org/mobot/motherboards_d/ASUS/K8V-MX/

GeekyBoy

In the zone
No,I think you should go for the Intel D865GBF motherboard because it's way ahead of the ASUS K8V-MX-UAYKZ motherboard in terms of performance.Also,if you buy a 915 chipset based motherboard,you cannot run Windows 98 alongside Windows XP SP2 because the chipset does not support Windows 98.You could upgrade your processor and go for a Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz(Prescott) processor which is a mPGA 478 processor because I think the P4 1.5 Ghz is purely lacking in terms of performance and also because the P4 2.4 GHz is much more better than the Sempron 2500+.You can als overclock the processor upto 3.6 Ghz,but take the necessary measures to cool the processor if you overclock.

How to overclock the processor:
1)First,in the BIOS set the RAM clock on FSB level(ratio 1:1) and lock the AGP/PCI frequency on 66/33 Mhz.
2)Raise the CPU core voltage from 1.38 v to 1.50 v.
3)Increase the FSB clock from its standard 133 Mhz speed in 10 Mhz steps,each time testing the stability of the system under full load-the CPU temperature should remain below 65 degree celsius.
(This overclocking Guide was taken from CHIP -November 2004 issue.)

The price of the Intel D845GBF motherboard is Rs 4500 and the P4 2.4 Ghz processor is Rs 5500.

The specs of the Intel D845GBF motherboard can be found at
*www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d865gbf/index.htm

You will find that there is a huge difference between the two motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom