motherboard queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

snasnodker1

Right off the assembly line
I have 3 Queries

1) I have M/BD of Gigabyte model K8VM800 for AMD Athlon 64bit (3000+) processor which I purchased in October 2005. RecentlyI have purchased Grapgics Card of GeForce 5200 128MB AGP 8X. I have preloaded BIOS Award Software International, Inc.Version :F1 on the mother/Bd. When I checked "AGP & P2P Bridge Control- AGP Aperture size" it was set by default at [ 64 ], do I need to set it at [128] instead since I have 128 MB Graphics Card on AGP Slot?

2) In BIOS, VGA Shared memory shows 64 MB as default allocation by motherboard, since I am now using the graphics card, can I set it at 32 or 16 MB considering my RAM is only 256 DDR ?

3) Max Memclock (MHz) settings are possible for 100, 133, 150, 166, 200 and auto as shown in the BIOS. I have used 256 RAM of 400 MHz (Make : Transcend). In "Auto" mode the speed is shown as 200 MHz. Is it not possible to utilize the full speed of 400 Mhz on this motherboard ?

Kindly hepl me out.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
1) set apg aperture size to 128MB (not because you haf 128 MB onboard memory) but coz that is the amount of ram that will be shared from ur main RAM. many sources suggest that AGP aperture size should be half ur system RAM. but then many ppl differ in this too. if you don't notice any performance gains revert back to 64MB.

2) since you are using an external graphics card, the internal would be automatically disabled. so whether u set to 32 or 16 or 64, doesnt really matter, as it is not effective anyway! make sure u select the "external graphics card" option in the bios and disable the onboard one.

3) afaik to realise the full speed of 400mhz ddr sdram, it should be in the dual channel mode. are u sure that it is not showing 200mhz ddr?? (coz 200mhz ddr = 400mhz effectively). but then i maybe wrong. how many memory modules do you haf?

aadipa

Padawan
infra_red_dude said:
3) afaik to realise the full speed of 400mhz ddr sdram, it should be in the dual channel mode.

As far as I know, dual channel means both sticks configured in dual channel can be accessed concurrently by memory controller, thus increasing bandwidth gives better performance.

This has nothing to do with 400MHz RAM speed. Infact DDR ram of 400MHz will run at 200MHz and effectively doubles the bandwidth available by sending data on the falling edge of the clock cycle as well as on the rising edge. Thus this results in double speed of 400MHz.

Don't get confused between "dual channel" and DDR.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
hey man! thanks for enlightening! :D

but i'd heard this somewhere so i supposed that. yeah i very well kno about the transfer mechanism of ddr modules. but i am not much well versed wid this dual channel ddr.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom