Most suitable distro for laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rohandhruva

Broken In
Hi,

I am looking for the most suitable distro for laptops. I did try searching the forums, but no thread exists for the particular topic of laptops.

Here are some of the requirements:

- Configure ACPI events (lid close, power button etc) automatically, and allow me to configure them
- Configure the hotkeys (volume, mute, sleep etc) automatically
- Adjust CPU frequency according to the load
- Adjust the resolution appropriately - 1280x800 in my case

Icing on the cake would be having XGL/AIGLX and beryl/compiz :) .
ATM, ubuntu satisfies all the requirements mentioned above. However, the software in ubuntu is quite outdted, and not updated frequently. I can't wait 6 months to get the latest stuff :)

Can someone please suggest me a distro that would satisfy the above needs ?

Thanks a lot !

praka123

left this forum longback
use ubuntu's testing Feisty or use Debian Etch(testing) ,apt-pinned with unstable and experimental repos for most updated packages.use beryl-svn repos for quick beryl updates and Xorg or XGL Xservers.

AND AIGLX is already included with Xorg >7.1 while XGL is a xserver from novell's ban^ing room.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
I use Open SuSE 10.1 on my ACER 5002 NWLMI. It supports acpi events, dynamic cpu frequency scaling and resolution. Don't know about point 2 as I don't use hotkeys

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
Thanks a lot for the speedy replies.

NucleusKore: I did try suse 10.2, but it did not configure the proper resolution. Reason being that the xorg included in it is too new, and a RC version.

praka123: Thanks. Feisty is too unstable. I will surely look at debian, but from what I hear, it does not setup acpi events and hotkeys automatically. Right ?

subratabera: Unfortunately, it'd take too long to download the DVD image. I am waiting for it's CD version, though :)

Thanks a lot, and please keep the responses coming :)

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
rohandhruva said:
praka123: Thanks. Feisty is too unstable. I will surely look at debian, but from what I hear, it does not setup acpi events and hotkeys automatically. Right ?

Yep. That's right. But it's just a matter of 5 minutes to configure those.

praka123

left this forum longback
I think you can use Debian Sid or sidux for ur lappy.below link may help u configure acpi
*linux.spiney.org/debian_gnu_linux_on_an_ibm_thinkpad_t43p_special_keys
*granny.homelinux.org/~linho/vacant/?p=22

afaik hotkeys can be if detected be configurable on GNOME using gnome-keybinding-properties cmd and also is "hotkey-setup" "hotkeys",xbindkeys cmd available u need to apt-get them.

for cpu control " cpufreqd" and many other packages.

X resoltn can be set properly by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf and some GUI tools are available.also search google.com/linux for more infos.cheers

NucleusKore

TheSaint
rohandhruva said:
Thanks a lot for the speedy replies.

NucleusKore: I did try suse 10.2, but it did not configure the proper resolution. Reason being that the xorg included in it is too new, and a RC version.

I use SuSE 10.1, you can try that. I downloaded 10.2 but never installed it as I have all my aps in 10.1 and reinstalling every 6 months just because a new distro is out doesn't make sense. 10.1 remastered would be the one to try if you are still interested and not the regular 10.1. SuSE 10.0 too is very good, I used that before 10.1. Digit gave it as a DVD if I am not mistaken, last year.

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
Thanks a lot, praka123, those links were very helpful :)

NucleusKore: OK, I have the suse 10.1 iso's on a DVD, I will surely try it..

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
^^ Try out OpenSuSE 10.2.. Its a LOT better than 10.1

I'd suggest NucleusKore to upgrade too! Believe me, its worth it!

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
Kalpik: As i already told, since it uses X.org RC, 915resolution does not work with it. Meaning, resolution is an ugly 1024x768 :(

eddie

El mooooo
OpenSUSE does come with 915resolution. You can configure it and use it for any resolution you want. I personally configure it for using a 1152x864 which you will not find on default i915 VBIOS.

OP
R

rohandhruva

Broken In
True, but I was told in the suse IRC channel that 915resolution does not work in suse because of the RC release of xorg..
By the way, is that true ?

eddie

El mooooo
^ I don't think so. It is working on my system. In any case if you ever face any problems, you can either grab some unofficial RPMs or you can compile 915resolution yourself. All you have to make sure is that at the boot time, it starts BEFORE starting X server.

Aberforth

The Internationalist
rohandhruva said:
Here are some of the requirements:

- Configure ACPI events (lid close, power button etc) automatically, and allow me to configure them
- Configure the hotkeys (volume, mute, sleep etc) automatically
- Adjust CPU frequency according to the load
- Adjust the resolution appropriately - 1280x800 in my case

Icing on the cake would be having XGL/AIGLX and beryl/compiz :) .

If you don't want Ubuntu you could choose Suse

1> Its has a 'laptop' module which you choose during installation and will meet your requirement. It is also configurable using advanced power management in Yast.

2> The hotkeys can be configured by configuring your keyboard settings in Control Centre.

3> This can be done using Yast, hardware settings of advanced power management settings

4> 1280X800 is usually automatically detected in Suse unlike Windows.

Additions -

1> Compiz with XGL work out of the box after installing your graphics card, 3D drivers.

2> A lot of proprietary but useful softwares come out of the box with the addon CD or default DVDs which you can choose to install (or not) when you install Suse

3> A lot of open source softwares come in RPM packages which are native to Suse and would require no compiling to install.

4> Intel and nVidia have driver support for RPM packages for RHEL, Fedora and Suse so its an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom