Moser Baer DVD-R, any good??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I've been watching and intend to win this auction on eBay *cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5187925777 for MBI DVD-R media. Would greatly appreciate any input from users of MBI. If possible please post screeshots of Nero transfer quality tests.

Should I buy this media. Apparently I have 2 days to decide. Speak now or forever hold your peace :lol:

Cheers,
Keith

Vyasram

The pWnster
Mostly their discs are good and pretty cheap but i heard that there are many fakes of moserbaer so make sure before buying it.

Anyway it is better to buy such things directly , I think 1 DVD-R will cost 30rs

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
Pretty good, as a matter of fact among the better discs available in india. Go for them since i have used quite a lot of them and no coasters till now.

adorablesrini

Broken In
I hav used loads of Moser Baer DVD's and they all turned out gr8!! (I even used those Princo DVD's and til now none of them failed.so if u r burnin sensitive data go 4 Moser else try out the cheaper alternatives!)

I lamington Road (Mumbai)Moser Baers were 40bucks a piece and Prince was 20.

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
moserbaer is a nice brand to have ur faith on ...
nd frm the ebay link u provided ... they r plain discs...WITHOUT ny markings on them ... so BEWARE....cud be a hoax....!!

drgrudge

Another Brick in the Wall
Moser baer costs rs. 40 here in chennai and others like scorpio, next-gen and unbranded costs rs. 15. I have burned more than 40 disks and no coasters till now. So for me, it never matter whether it is moser baer or a 15rs. DVD :D

OP
K

Keith Sebastian

Padawan
Thanks for the input guys. Yeah, I'm a bit worried about fakes, but the deal is too good to pass.

drgrudge said:
Moser baer costs rs. 40 here in chennai and others like scorpio, next-gen and unbranded costs rs. 15. I have burned more than 40 disks and no coasters till now. So for me, it never matter whether it is moser baer or a 15rs. DVD :D

Drgrudge - It's not about coasters. For me it's about -

1 Compatibility - should work well on my standalone dvd players, and my ps2.

2 Integrity - Should work fine 6 months to 1 year down the line. Princo's, Shintaros have died on me, some within 6 months, no scratches immaculate condition.

I can swear by Riteks (G04's). Have 110+ written over 1.5 years no probs at all.

OP
K

Keith Sebastian

Padawan
A note on Princo

Princo has been accused of manufacturing fake TDK media

*www.tdk-europe.presscentre.com/corp/Releases/release.asp?ReleaseID=1215&NID=Press Releases

TheKing

Broken In
hi,
if u read the reviews of DVD writers @ cdfreaks, while reviewing them they check writing quality of the writer as well as that of the media. I have read most of their DVD writer reviews and 99% say MoserBaer India makes awsome DVDs.

These blanks Rock.

Njoy!

TheKing

Broken In
Moserbaer Rocks

hi,
if u read the reviews of DVD writers @ cdfreaks, while reviewing them they check writing quality of the writer as well as that of the media. I have read most of their DVD writer reviews and 99% say MoserBaer India makes awsome DVDs.

These blanks Rock as good if not better than Ritek medias.

Njoy!

blade_runner

Cyborg Agent
drgrudge said:
Do a advanced scan of the dvd-rs and u will know. The next time u wont buy these el-cheapo dvdrs. Also most of them become unreadable say after a certain number of times. Thats the major diff between bad and good media.

hitesh_hg

Journeyman
i got a 10 DVD-R Moser baer spindle from chd for 450/-..

Anyways my question is, when burning as data DVD it displays only 4.38 GB of space instead of 4.7 GB..is it ok??

Hitesh Gupta

OP
K

Keith Sebastian

Padawan
hitesh_hg said:
Anyways my question is, when burning as data DVD it displays only 4.38 GB of space instead of 4.7 GB..is it ok??

Hitesh Gupta

Here's your answer (courtesy, the good guys at Plextor)

Why do I only get about 4.38GB on a DVD disc instead of the 4.7GB advertised by the vendor?

DVD media has the same capacity conversion confusion suffered by users trying to find out the correct capacity of their hard drives. Vendors compute storage size in a decimal value, while computers compute storage in a binary value. One megabyte (MB) of hard drive storage is computed by the vendor as 1 x 106, or 1,000,000. Computers are binary systems, seeing a megabyte as 1 x 220, or 1,048,576 bytes.

In a CD or DVD, a percentage of the disc is taken up by overhead, i;e. link blocks, track information, reserved areas for video title, etc., and takes up some of the user data area , but may not be part of the output data stream. In the case of a DVD, this is approximately 1 MB.

So a DVD disc advertised by the vendor as 4.7GB (decimal) is displayed by computer applications as approximately 4.38GB: (4,700,000,000 ÷ 1,048,576) - 1MB = 4.38GB.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
blade_runner said:
drgrudge said:
Do a advanced scan of the dvd-rs and u will know. The next time u wont buy these el-cheapo dvdrs. Also most of them become unreadable say after a certain number of times. Thats the major diff between bad and good media.

What advanced scan are you talking about?
Even I buy MoserBaer's and am intrested in checking if their authentic or not.
The MoserBaers that I get have a blue dye which leads me to believe that they may not be of ideal quality because best quality media have silver or gold dyes.

btw, which brand of RW's (both +RW & -RW) do most of you buy and what is the cost?

OP
K

Keith Sebastian

Padawan
To check authenticity, read the ATIP code using Nero Info Tool. Now compare it with an online repository to see what manufacturer the code belongs to. Just type the code in google.

This is not fool proof as fakes produced by Princo had TDK ATIP codes.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Keith Sebastian said:
To check authenticity, read the ATIP code using Nero Info Tool. Now compare it with an online repository to see what manufacturer the code belongs to. Just type the code in google.

Okay so i got the ATIP code. Now which site do I go to find out if it is authentic?

OP
K

Keith Sebastian

Padawan
drvarunmehta said:
Keith Sebastian said:

Okay so i got the ATIP code. Now which site do I go to find out if it is authentic?

What is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom