Mono - Crossplatform .NET by Novell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fdew queries about Mono, a clone of M$ .NET thats OSS and made by novell:

1. Is it drag and drop, minimal code and easy to use ?

2. Will the download from mono-project.org, the generic linux .bin installer be enough to start creating apps ?

3. Whats the status of Mono's licence in India ? I heard that it can potentially violate patents of microsoft in the U$. what about India ?

4. Is mono a good place for me to start creating GUI apps ?

no replies ?
please guys... I need a M$ Visual C++ Like application to create GUI programs on Linux platform. I am finding glade ineffitient.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
MonoDevelop with Stetic GUI designer should cover that need of easy window designing.

But you should realize that on GTK (And almost all other GUI Toolkits), the windows have to have contents packed into boxes. It may feel weird at first but its how you are supposed to create forms as, not the fluid way like VS allows you to. You'll learn why in a short time of usage.

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Or you can program in VS and run the Mono Profiling Tool to check whether it runs under Mono or not .

I used this approach for LinSmilies .

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Off Topic : ^^^ Zeeshan, how did your exam go? Why r u working on computer, should I call aunty now :D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Why use Glade 2.0 when 3 is the latest one?

And didn't you read my first post? I pointed you to MonoDevelop IDE, try that out.

What about Qt designer?
it was the first thing that came to my mind, but I am not aware of its working.

as I said before, I currently want a program that has got a simple and easy to use drag and drop interface to quickly make small gui programs, but I also want to be able to script it and change code using C++. I know that QT4 = C++, but I don't know much about it. Information will definitely be appritiated.

Update: I saw the demo video on trolltech website, and I was impressed by Qt Designer.

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
it was the first thing that came to my mind, but I am not aware of its working.

as I said before, I currently want a program that has got a simple and easy to use drag and drop interface to quickly make small gui programs, but I also want to be able to script it and change code using C++. I know that QT4 = C++, but I don't know much about it. Information will definitely be appritiated.

Update: I saw the demo video on trolltech website, and I was impressed by Qt Designer.
If you use Qt then you will need to Develop your apps using C++(and Qt) not GTK .

I think mono's development is still at .NET framework 1.1 compliancy level. Am i correct?

BTW, i haven't used MonoDevelop much but what i understand that it is nowhere in comparison to V Studio when it comes to intellisense.

@Zeeshan : Where can i find the Mono Profiler? Is it free (It must be :) )?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
If you use Qt then you will need to Develop your apps using C++(and Qt) not GTK .
Did he mention GTK in his post? Meh, its obvious enough. Also, GTK is not a language, and QT isn't limited to the language you wrote there either. :|

@Krazy_About_Technology - Yes almost everything about Mono is free, and you can download the MoMA (Mono Migration Analysis) tool at Mono's website here.

And its an simple "Analyzer" one uses, not a Profiler. A Profiler is used to generate statistics about CPU Time and other efficiency purposes. That'd serve no purpose if you wanna test if your code is applicable to Mono.

And yes, QT isn't limited just to C++. You have bindings of QT existent in almost all other popular languages, even Mono. I use Python + PyQT4 myself.

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
Did he mention GTK in his post? Meh, its obvious enough. Also, GTK is not a language, and QT isn't limited to the language you wrote there either.
I guess everyone here knows that both GTK and Qt are Frameworks . What i meant was that for using Qt he'll have to program in C++ using the Qt Framework and not the GTK Framework(GTK#+Glade Designer) :)

^^I am already thinking of ditching Gnome for KDE after my exams, because I feel that gnome has gone over the limit in its drive for simplicity. Look at totem and compare it with Kaffine. I don't mind KDE ecept for its Inexcusably Horrid Naming

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
KDE is not necessary for running QT applications. You just need libqt installed, with whatever bindings it is that you use.

QT4.4 onwards is fully platform-independent, so your QT app will run on any OS, any environment.

KDE uses QT, but not vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom