Modems - Advanced Tweaking - ask doubts here

Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Any doubts/queries regarding Modems- Setting, Tweaking... ask here:)

Lets start with Huawei SmartAX MT880 Modem

i had faced "ping" problem when playing "GTA SA Multiplayer" (online), but thanks to tarey_g, my problem's solved now.

To resolve Ping issuses, make sure your modem's "Firmware" is upto-date.

latest Firmware- V200R001C01B021SP03

read below
Reducing Ping Rates by a big margin
Tip by tarey_g

tarey_g said:
Trace route to find the details abt the hops made to reach a destination.
Code:
C:\DOCUME~1\GAURAV>tracert www.google.com

Tracing route to www.l.google.com [72.14.235.99]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

[B][U]1    25 ms    24 ms    25 ms  59.95.160.1[/U][/B]
  2    72 ms    77 ms    72 ms  218.248.249.85
  3    72 ms    72 ms    73 ms  218.248.249.9
  4    84 ms    82 ms    82 ms  218.248.255.1
  5    71 ms    72 ms    71 ms  218.248.255.2
  6    81 ms    80 ms    81 ms  125.16.156.25
  7    83 ms    83 ms    83 ms  202.56.223.73

I was getting very bad pings on the first hop to my bsnl gateway, i did the following things and the results were amazing. This is what i did :

Access your modem control panel by putting 192.168.1.1 in your browser. Chk the firmware version provided on the first page(summary section). I have a Smartx MT880 modem which had really old firmware, I was getting 90ms in the first hop(really bad) .So the first thing i did is to upgrade the firmware to the newest version V200R001C01B021SP03. This reduced the ping in the first hop to 55ms approx.
Now if you have an older version of firmware in your modem than i strongly recommend to update it. New dataone modems already have newest version of firmware.

Now second thing to do is expand the 'Advanced' section and click on the 'ADSL Settings' option .You will see these options.
*img95.imageshack.us/img95/6492/adslvy3.jpg

Now the ADSL modulation is the setting which makes the difference. The ADSL2+ is the default setting. The pings (for my Dataone gateway) i got for each ADSL modulation settings are as follows :

On ADSL2+ and ADSL2 44-52 ms
On T1.413 and G.DMT 48-64 ms
On Glite 25-30 ms
Multimode is G.DMT

Result suggests that Glite provides the least ping. In my case i was initially on 90ms now the ping is 24-30ms approx which is a big change . Even if you have the new firmware already you will get benefited by the Glite modulation setting. After updating the firmware i was getting 44-52ms , after i did Glite it slashed to approx half ie. 24-30ms .
One thing i noticed that on ADSL2+ setting i get max speed of 230KBps on my connection and on Glite its reduced by little to 215KBps. But when i had the 32KBps(256Kbps) connection the speed loss was not even noticeable.

I keep my modem's modulation setting on Glite usually 15KBps loss out of 230KBps is not much , even if it matters you can always switch modes wrt to your gaming and downloading sessions

you can see ip for your dataone(or other ISP) server by opening the status window of the current connection and clicking on the 'Details' tab.
For me it is 59.95.160.1

*img409.imageshack.us/img409/9397/statusvk6.jpg

I tested this "Modulation" mode with different settings, for me G.DMT worked.

i get a steady 28-30KBps for torrents, & ping rates have also come down.

though for LONG Online Gaming session i change the "Modulation mode" to G.Lite.

to see the Ping rates in different mode, do the below.
"Start->Run->cmd-> type ping 59.92.128.1 -n 10

NOTE: "-n 10" will ping the target 10 times.:wink:

[note::: If you want to thank someone, tarey_g, i learnt these modem tweaking from tarey_g. :)]

Tip
you can save your modem setting onto your PC HDD, so that if something screws your modem settings:D, just "Load Settings From Local Hard Drive". (no need to set everything all over again)
*img219.imageshack.us/img219/8753/bsnl2on8.th.jpg

Download Link MT880 Firmware V200R001C01B021SP03*rapidshare.com/files/19182383/MT880_V200R001C01B021SP03_20050706.rar [file size - 1.75MB]

(again thank @tarey_g for Firmware:) )

Last edited:
OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
these are basic settings, same in almost all modems (i guess:confused: ) :D.

so why not go into "modem setting" page & tell us what settings are available?

[off topic]
why & from whom are you hiding:D:D:D
[/off topic]

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
I am not able to ping to any site ..what may be the problem..???Router or OS ??

I have done a port forward on MT882 Router..but doesn't know..whether its working or not...??Because..When I check from Utorrent inbuilt application to check a certain port is opened or not,I recieve every port(whichever I give) is opened...

I have done the port forwarding through tutorials on www.portforward.com..

Last edited:

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
Can u please explain ..

From where it is done..or from where I can check whether it is enabled or not..

shyamno

Ambassador of Buzz
But I m getting ping problems..I am unable to ping ..to any site..even google or thinkdigit is not working..
Every time I get Requested time out..

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
amit2005 said:
i cannnot acess the page 192.168.1.1....somebody help
What modem do you have?

NOTE: "-n 10" will ping the target 10 times.:wink:

59.92.128.1 is the destination for the first hop for s18000rpm, for other users it can be different. you can see ip for your dataone(or other ISP) server by opening the status window of the current connection and clicking on the 'Details' tab.
For me it is 59.95.160.1

*img409.imageshack.us/img409/9397/statusvk6.jpg

Last edited:

amit2005

Journeyman
"tarey_g" Help needed??????

hi pal...this is amit..i followed ur modem tweaking as given by s18000rpm....i configure my modem to connect to 192.168.1.1....n the first thing i did was to upgrade firmware...to my bad luck..my modem is MT882 n s180000rpm's is MT880....so i upgraded the wrong file...now after the upgrade or whatever it did...my pc is not picking up the modem thru USB(i use usb to connect)..it's not even detecting the modem...then i took the modem to the bsnl peoples..they didn't figure out wht has happend(no hard feelings guys(bsnl one))....i tried to connect thru lan port..n to my wonder it did connected..i'm writin' this thing on lan port..that i bought for Rs.250...waste of money....n it also getting disconnected very often in idling condition...i've checked the box..idle to hang out ..never...so if u cud spare ur precious time to figure it out

regards

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
Re: "tarey_g" Help needed??????

If you want help from him,there is a thing known as "pm"
And on the 192.168.1.1 there must be an option to restore everything to factory settings.Find that and
reset it.

47shailesh

Security Exp

^+1 with addtion that if ur modem is detected on LAN than update the firmware with correct one...i.e. MT882 in ur case :D

OP
s18000rpm

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
^oops:oops:
my mistake, sorry everyone, i'll edit my post:)

amit said:
hi pal...this is amit..i followed ur modem tweaking as given by s18000rpm....i configure my modem to connect to 192.168.1.1....n the first thing i did was to upgrade firmware...to my bad luck..my modem is MT882 n s180000rpm's is MT880....so i upgraded the wrong file...now after the upgrade or whatever it did...my pc is not picking up the modem thru USB(i use usb to connect)..it's not even detecting the modem...then i took the modem to the bsnl peoples..they didn't figure out wht has happend(no hard feelings guys(bsnl one))....i tried to connect thru lan port..n to my wonder it did connected..i'm writin' this thing on lan port..that i bought for Rs.250...waste of money....n it also getting disconnected very often in idling condition...i've checked the box..idle to hang out ..never...so if u cud spare ur precious time to figure it out

regards

just go to Advanced Settings, & in Modulation Mode select some other mode (e.g. G.Lite/G.DMT/T1...)
[refer first pic]

for me in G.Lite mode i was frequently getting disconnected, but in G.Dmt mode the connction is very stable.:)

so try it & report back:)

Last edited:

amit2005

Journeyman

47shailesh said:
^+1 with addtion that if ur modem is detected on LAN than update the firmware with correct one...i.e. MT882 in ur case :D
where i cud find it..plz help no help frm google..every one is looking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom