Modem speed confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
Hi there mates,

I am connecting to the net using my BSNL netone connection. I have a 56 kbps D-Link Modem (Connexant Soft56 Data/Fax/Voice). My problem is that when I connect, I get speeds of only about 45.2 kbps and not 56 kbps. What do you think is the problem?

Also, my friend also has the same type of modem, but it connects at 115 kbps. Is this a driver problem or a modem hardware prob?

Please Help!

satyamy

Alive Again...
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
Hi there mates,

I am connecting to the net using my BSNL netone connection. I have a 56 kbps D-Link Modem (Connexant Soft56 Data/Fax/Voice). My problem is that when I connect, I get speeds of only about 45.2 kbps and not 56 kbps. What do you think is the problem?

Also, my friend also has the same type of modem, but it connects at 115 kbps. Is this a driver problem or a modem hardware prob?

Please Help!

which OS u use.....?
try changing the speed of Modem from control panel

mAYHEM

Journeyman
Ur modem is showing the actaual speed(modem 2 modem)of connection whereas ur friends modem is showing the Port Speed(modem 2 pc).use w2 in the extra intialization box,to show show actual speed of connection.

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
-I use WinXP SP2,
-The max speed I ge while downloading is 5 kbps at 45.5 kbps.
-How do I enter the string you have given?

What I exactly want to know is that :why am I connecting at 45.2, when I am supposed to connect at 56 kbps?

The CyberShot

Broken In
To speed up ur modem, got to : (In Win XP)

> Network Connections
> Click on ur connection (RightClick > Properties)
> In "General" under "Connect Using" click on "Configure..."
> In "Maximum Speed (bps)" Select the highest possible value.
> In my case it's "921600"
> Click "OK"
> Click "OK" again.

My Modem runs st the speed of 115 KBPS.

CyberShot

Brave_Hunt

Journeyman
As long as you're getting 5-7KBps while dowloading somthing nothing to worry about it It's a decent speed in dial up. Connection speed doesn't matter. I'm using Bsnl DataOne broadband connection my speed is 256kbps and I connect on 1Mbps and get 30-32KBps while downloading. So there's no problem in your modem.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Desmond, your modem is working fine. So don't worry. You'll get around 40 - 45 kbps.
Not 56 kbps!! That's the limit. Also speed varies from site to site. You can use a
good Download Manager like FlashGet to accelerate the download process. If you
want higher speeds you must switch to broadband ( atleast 128 kbps). You will feel
the difference for sure!!

The CyberShot

Broken In
DeSmOnD dAvId said:
Thanks mate, will try it today.

BTW, which modem do you have and which connction?

Sorry for the delay. U see i cant get online as frequently as the others.
BTW i use a 56K modem and i have a dial-up connection.

CyberShot

OP
Desmond

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
The CyberShot said:
To speed up ur modem, got to : (In Win XP)

> Network Connections
> Click on ur connection (RightClick > Properties)
> In "General" under "Connect Using" click on "Configure..."
> In "Maximum Speed (bps)" Select the highest possible value.
> In my case it's "921600"
> Click "OK"
> Click "OK" again.

My Modem runs st the speed of 115 KBPS.

CyberShot

Well tried it, but doesnt work. Is there any extra options to be set?

@Indyan,
I do not use a SancharNet connection. I use a NetOne connection from BSNL. It gives me much faster speed than Sancharnet. For sancharnet my modem connects at 33.6 kbps.

Last edited:

shaunak

Tux Fan
on dial up the maximum theoritical speed is 7 kBps. Add disturbance, copper wiring, etc and it goes down to 5~6KBps.

If your freind is on dial up:- Mayb he has a 112kbps ISD modem and so windows shows his handshake speed as that. but in reality he will get the same speed.

windows shows my hand shake speed as 100Mbps!:)) but i get only 128kbps [theoritically]
*img67.imageshack.us/img67/917/asddcopyzx4.gif

get both your speeds checked here or here.

Last edited:

ApoorvKhatreja

Journeyman
i think there is a confusion b/w kbps and kBps. maybe u don't realise but there is a lot of difference in these two.
kbps = kilobytespersecond
kBps = kilobitspersecond

and 1 bit = 8 bytes

so those who have a 256 kbps connection.........if you are gettin download speeds of 30kBps...........it's perfectly OK!! you can get a maximum of 32kBps anyways!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom