Modem is not dialling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hard_rock

Salieri Family
Hi Guyz...I have a problem.I recently bought DFM 560 IS+++ (D-link) Internal modem for my freind's PC. The drivers are correctly installed in XP and even if I "Query Modem" in Modem Options it is receiving MODEM commands correctly.But the problem is, it is not dialling any number giving an error that "NO DIAL TONE".So I checked the modem on my PC and it gave same error.

It is not making any dialling sound from modem speaker.So I checked the phone kept in other room and heard no dialling sound there also.Also one peculiar observation is that even if I am not dialling or even if I am not connected to internet there is no Dial tone in Phone.It is making my phone, dead when PC is switched ON.So what might be the problem Guyz?and what is the solution.Why it is not dialling the no.?

shwetanshu

Cyborg Agent
well i dont know about other problems, but for the first one with the error NO DIAL TONE, do this: Control Panel --> Phone and Modem Options, there will be an option check for dial tone before dialling. Untick the option and then dial. It shud work, it worked for me wen i used dial up.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
hard_rock said:
Hi Guyz...I have a problem.I recently bought DFM 560 IS+++ (D-link) Internal modem for my freind's PC. The drivers are correctly installed in XP and even if I "Query Modem" in Modem Options it is receiving MODEM commands correctly.But the problem is, it is not dialling any number giving an error that "NO DIAL TONE".So I checked the modem on my PC and it gave same error.

Install it in any other PC and don't install any driver for it. Now try it and report what happen. If it's still not working contact its dealer for warranty support.

(...)

Broken In
Try this

Change the data baud rate to 9600 from 115200.

else you can try this rubbish way

unplug the phone line cable from line in port of the modem and plug it into the phone out port. it works for me.

OP
hard_rock

hard_rock

Salieri Family
l tried it on my freind's PC and it dialled there.So I removed the manufacturer's (DLINK) driver from my PC and rescanned for new hardware and windows installed the default driver(Soft V92 Data/Fax modem).
Then I plugged in the telephone jack and dialled and voila it connected. So I disconnected from net and tried to redial but I heard engage beep. I plugged out Telephone line Jack from Modem and plugged in again. Again it dialled. But if I left some time after plugging in it gave engage tone.By this I realised that Modem is working fine but it is making telephone line engaged and also even if I am not dialling or even if I am not connected to internet there is no Dial tone in Phone

This means modem is making telephone line busy even if it is not using line to connect to internet. It is like when you pick up the receiver of your telephone for some time, you hear dial tone and after sometime you hear Engage beep and after some time no beep sound at all. The similar case is here with the modem. When I plug in the line it's like picking up receiver. As soon I connect line to modem I hear dial tone for some time. In that time I have to dial otherwise after that the line will be engaged.

Why this is happening?Is there any mistake in the modem? What is the solution? My Telephone line is perfectly alright since I regularly connect to net using my External modem.

@(...)
unplug the phone line cable from line in port of the modem and plug it into the phone out port. it works for me.
I tried that.It worked but the above said problem occurred.

hcp006sl

Journeyman
Now one more experiment. Dial that number using your handset and not modem, i.e., dial it using your telephone. Now see what happens. If still sometime there is dial tone sometime not, sometime it's connecting and sometime not, then it's a fault of your exchange otherwise modem is the culprit. Search for a driver update for your modem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom