Status
Not open for further replies.

hades_gt500

Right off the assembly line
Current config is

AMD 3000+ AM2
Asus M2NPV-VM
1GB Transcend 667MHz RAM

thinking of replacing proc with an AMD 6000+. But would it be OK if I keep the old MOBO...it is compatible all right, but would it be advisable ? or do I have to spend 4-5K on an descent MOBO???

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^6000+ requires the Am2 socket. And afaik your motherboard has the AM2 socket so you can use it with no problem..

OP
H

hades_gt500

^^6000+ requires the Am2 socket. And afaik your motherboard has the AM2 socket so you can use it with no problem..

as I said the problem is not compatibility but performance. M2NPV-VM is fairly old mobo...so i am wondering if it would be able to use the full power of 6000+

nvidia

-----ATi-----
^^I guess it will... But if you are a hard core gamer and if you want to overclock a lot then its best if you change your motherboard....
And btw, add another 1GB RAM to your rig...

OP
H

hades_gt500

^^I guess it will... But if you are a hard core gamer and if you want to overclock a lot then its best if you change your motherboard....
And btw, add another 1GB RAM to your rig...

ya forgot to mention that ...adding 2x1GB 667 RAM

ya that mobo was not designed for overclocking.... there is no way to change core voltage manually. but I don think i'll need to overclock it for next 1-1.5 yrs . so guess i'll keep the mobo for some time

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Thats a gud mobo nd decent performance. In case of AMD, performance wont vary much with different chipsets etc.
So that mobo is almost as gud as todays AM2 mobos, in sheer performance.
And u can do mid oc with that mobo. Upgrade the bios also.

OP
H

hades_gt500

Thats a gud mobo nd decent performance. In case of AMD, performance wont vary much with different chipsets etc.
So that mobo is almost as gud as todays AM2 mobos, in sheer performance.
And u can do mid oc with that mobo. Upgrade the bios also.

rt now i have the latest bios and the proc is overclocked 25% without any trouble ... guess that's descent enough

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Actually single core Athlons can be oced really gud. I have onve oced a 1.8Ghz 3000+ 939 to 2.8Ghz w/o effort.
But X2s dun oc that much and max core clock than X2 6000+ cud reach is 3.3Gkz on stock cooling. Thats a light oc compared to stock clock of 3.0Ghz. SO ur mobo will be fine for such oc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom