Mobility + Performance = hp dv2117tx

Status
Not open for further replies.

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
Hi friends
I am planning to buy a notebook in range of around 60k. Some of the things I want are :

i) Vista capable
iii) DVD writer
iv) 1 GB RAM
v) 100 GB HDD
vi ) 14.1" Widescreen

The only lappy which I feel I zeroed on is hp dv2117tx :

* Processor - Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2050 with Intel® Centrino® Duo Mobile Technology (1.60 GHz, 2 MB L2 Cache, 533 MHz FSB)
* Operating system - Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005
* Standard memory - 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2 SDRAM (667MHZ)
* Cache - 2MB Level-2 Cache
* Hard drive - 100GB (5400 rpm)
* Optical drive - SuperMulti Drive Dual Layer with LightScribe DVD±RW/±R
* Graphics - NVIDIA GeForce® Go 7200 Dedicated Graphics (TurboCache 2.0 Technology upto 128 MB Video Memory)
* Webcam and Microphones - 1.3 Megapixel Web Camera and Two Omni-directional microphones
* Modem - High speed 56K modem
* Network - Integrated 10/100 LAN Ethernet, Intel® PRO/Wireless 802.11 a/b/g integrated WLAN, integrated Bluetooth
* Battery - 6-cell Lithium-Ion battery
* Display - 14.1" colour WXGA BrightView
* Pointing device - Touchpad pointing device with 2-way scroll
* I/O interfaces - (1) 5-in-1 Digital Media Reader slot, (1) IEEE 1394 port, (1) S-video port, (1) VGA port, (1) Notebook Expansion Slot, (2) Headphone Jacks / Line Out, (1) Microphone line-in, (1) AC power adapter, (1) RJ-11, (1) RJ-45, (3) USB 2.0 ports
* Security features - Kensington MicroSaver lock slot
* PC card slots - (1) ExpressCard/54 Slot
* Status display - System Power, NUM Lock, CAPS Lock, SCROLL Lock, Battery Charging, HDD/Optical activity, Media Slot, Mute, Wireless
* Audio - Altec Lansing branded speakers, Hardware volume control and mute button
* Keyboard - Full-sized keyboard with touchpad, 86 Keys layout, 12 Function Keys
* Accessories - HP Mobile ExpressCard Remote Control
* Weight - 2.48kg - may vary, depending on configuration and components

Price : 62.5k (including everything)

Is a good match of performance + mobility.
Initially I was attracted by dv6114tx due to Nvidia 7400 Go, but i feel that 15.4" lappies are a bit heavy. Moreover 6114tx has just 80GB HDD and 512MB RAM.

So friends just need ur suggestions and comments on 2117tx laptop. And kindly suggest any other laptop if it suits my requirements.

dragonlord

Broken In
but, if u'r looking @ vista, dun u think it's better to go for the 7400, than the 7200. Gfx card freaks, any significant diff. b/w the two ?

Aberforth

The Internationalist
Your laptop is good enough configuration as of now, ask HP if its possible to upgrade your graphics card to 256 MB Geforce Go 7400. HP laptops are modular like Dell and you can upgrade quite some components if you want. Confirm about graphics card to be sure.

If that is not possible it will be better to go for dv6114tx as it has a better graphics card. Vista capable does not always mean you can run full features of Vista so you don't want to compromise on that. You can easily upgrade your hard disk to 120 or even 160 GB, same goes for RAM but not often graphics card.

The choice of size is upto you, you will have to make trade offs between size and performance. Check the models at a showroom/dealer before you order so as to be sure it looks like shown on internet. HP India (I don't know why) has this tendency to display the pictures of mixed up models of laptops.

Raaza

Journeyman
how many hours of backup time with this dv2117TX model ?

There's another model dv2119TX with almost same configurations.

(Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T5200
• 1.6 GHz, LEVEL 2 CACHE 1MB, 533 MHz Bus Speed )

what are the main differences with these models?

in dv2119TX , there's only 1 MB L2 Cache

can anybody explain this?

should I go for dv2119TX or dv2117TX ?

my preference is on more backup time, lite weight as well

OP
tech_cheetah

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
Thanks for ur suggestions guys .. I have finally decided to go for hp dv6114tx .. Though it has less RAM and HDD and more weight , but 7400 makes up for these drawbacks .. I can upgrade RAM, use external HDD, manage the weight but there is no substitution for graphics card .. I think this laptop will prove to be a long companion and won't become obsolete after vista's arrival !
Going to buy it in the evening today :)

Will give u people a feedback about it very soon ..

OP
tech_cheetah

tech_cheetah

Journeyman
hp dv6114tx review

I bought my dv6114tx for 58,230/- The dealer gave me free - mouse,earphone,carrybag(extra),joystick.

Here is my review for dv6114tx :

+ve points :
1. Looks and weight : Its a very nice machine with sexy glossy looks. It doesn't look heavy and thick as other 15" lappies. The weight is also not that much as I thought. You can manage it on ur lap easily.
2. Heat generated : The heat ventilation is also very good. You just need to take care that the lappy is not placed over some bad heat conductor like cushion,bedding
3. Noise : There is no noise at all. Its perfectly silent under normal operation. only when u put a DVD/CD there is some noise in while reading , which I think is normal.
4. Sound : Awesome !! U will really Njoy listening to song on Altec Lansing speakers. The maximum volume is loud enough to enjoy all the frequency stuff in songs
5. Games : yesterday I played Tomb Raider : Legend Demo and it was an amazing exerience on Nvidia GeForce 7400.
6. Display : With hp Brightview technology the display is simply excellent.
7. Webcam : U can even make videos in Windows movie maker using this webcam. that cool !
8. Softwares : The Windows XP Media Center Edition just rocks. The user interface is so simple and cool that even a first time windows user will find it easy and enjoyable to play movies,songs,tv,radio etc. Plus hp has also shipped a remote control for playing DVDs./CDs. It has quite a good range and it worked even from a distance of 5 metres.

-ve points :
1. RAM : 512 MB is a bit less when u think of doing multimedia and games on ur lappy. I will get it upgraded to 1GB soon.
2. HDD : Hey they told that it had 80GB space . However it turned out to be just 70 GB. Recovery partition eats up 10GB space . C:\ drive is 60 GB :( Where is remaining 10GB ??
This is the case with all hp laptops. U will find that C:\ drive is 10 GB less than what u expect.
3. No Original Windows CD : hp should have atleast given some recovery DVDs, if not original Windows DVD. But then I had to write 3 recovery DVDs myself :( The dealer had told me that hp doesn't give recovery DVD/CDs anymore.
4. DVD drive : It is a bit slow. It takes 20-25 minutes for copying a full 8.5 GB DVD.
5. Graphics card : Don't expect too much from this card. This will play most of the latest games at decent frame rates at 800x600 resolution. First Person shooters will run fine with most of the effects turned on.If you go for 1280x800 then racing games wont run smoothly. You will require to make a compromise between quality and frame rates.
6. Battery life : It is just 1.5 hrs !! But that is not a big problem for me as I don't have to carry it around and there are not much power cuts in Bangalore.

I am going to get a free Happauge TV tuner card soon (as part of this laptop package) .
In the end I am very happy with my dv6114tx :)
I feel that what hp has offered in dv6114tx is a value for money.

It would have been great if hp had allowed customers to make changes in the configuration of laptop online, just like dell !

khemkarahul

Broken In
I think the core 2 Duo T5200 has a 2 MB L2 Cache ...
i'm planning to buy a dv2119TX.....it has core 2 duo T5200 with only 533 mhz bus speed...and no support for virtualization.....Would lack of support for virtualization affect much in future????? the best thing about this laptop is it has a GeForce go 7400 turbocache!!!

Last edited:

Aberforth

The Internationalist
tech_cheetah said:
HDD : Hey they told that it had 80GB space . However it turned out to be just 70 GB. Recovery partition eats up 10GB space . C:\ drive is 60 GB :( Where is remaining 10GB ??

Same problem here. I got 85+7 GB out of my promised 100 GB (7 GB is apparently taken by system files and configuration). I guess someone ought to take storage media companies to court. In Sony Memory sticks you get 467 of 512 MB.

By the way you can always upgrade your internal hard disk if you need more space. A 120 GB, 2.5" laptop hard disk from Western Digital or Hitachi comes about Rs. 5400 (ex- Delhi) with 5 year warranty, way better deal than external drives. I upgraded mine for a 120 GB WD (108 GB unfairytale wise) and converted the existing laptop disk (Hitachi HDD) to external HDD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom