Microsoft Windows: The End of "My" in "My Computer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sourabh

Laptoping
Microsoft Windows: The End of "My" in "My Computer"

Those folders on your Windows desktop will still be yours -- but in the future you'll need to figure that out on your own.

Ending a longstanding tradition, Microsoft Corp. plans to stop using the word "my" as the default prefix for such folders as "My Documents," "My Music," "My Pictures" and others along those lines. Starting in the next Windows version, due out next year, folders will be known simply as "Documents," "Music," and so on.

With any other product, such a minor change probably wouldn't even be noticed. But the Microsoft operating system runs on more than 90 percent of the world's personal computers, and its persistent use of the word has been one of its most conspicuous characteristics -- helping to fuel widespread use of the "my" prefix in the technology industry.

Granted, computer users might not celebrate the change as much as they did the retirement of Microsoft's unpopular "Clippy" animated assistant. But some experts in the language of technology clearly won't be sorry to see "my" disappear from the next Windows version.

The practice was an artificial attempt to create a personal connection between people and their computers -- "to capture the loyalty of an egocentric population," said Naomi Baron, linguistics professor at American University in Washington, D.C.

Read More/Source: SeattlePI

busyanuj

In the zone
it hardly matters either way.

but yes Naomi Baron's views are right, the "MY" did have the role of a personal connection (egocentric).
so if Microsoft removes the MY from computer and documents, we'll all still have the choice to rename them.

rajas

In the zone
Just saw the news on Bink's website.

may not be a gr8 news for us, but for the west it does matter. no every person would ask a question where are "my" Documents, Pictures, Network places.
MS may feel that its childish, but we are so attached to using these words, missing them makes some difference.

Biplav

In the zone
it doesnt matter to me.whether microsoft says "my" or no my, the folder still belongs to me. right?lol/ :mrgreen:
and as we just got accustomed to the word my, now the very same way we`ll get accustomed to not saying "MY".

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
windows r for PC.... PC => Personal Computer... & every thing thats r in there is my... then there is no need to keep the " My" word... good dission...

anandk

Distinguished Member
ya, but one had got so used o the word 'MY', its gonna be missed by some .... but as they say, whats in a name ? :roll:

koolbluez

Šupər♂ - 超人
It's kool to lose the MY factor...

I had changed the MY monolistic repetetion in MY computer MYSELF!!!

What is mine windows

according to the stupid EULA of microsoft we had no right install "My" copy of windows even on my other computer and i cant even make bhackup of "My" windows.

then what is there in the word "My" which does not belong to me :lol:

If they renamed it means they are allowing it share windows with other.

Did they? :?:

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
why wait for windows next version? install the autopatcher xp from june dvd and see that the " MY " of my computer vanishes just the the "professional " from " windows xp professional " vanished after installing SP2 !!!

theKonqueror

CCIE# 20863
My oh My!
I think, this is just another news from M$. It hardly matters what u call YOUR folders....
Afterall, What is is name?

DKant

In the zone
Duh? How does it matter. Except My Comp I don't even look @ the other folders neway. And in ne case even if they called it Your Computer or Not My Computer I wldn't care. Anybody wldn't! Hell how-does-it-matter? Geez. Needless to say this must have been laboriously documented and entered into MS's records. What a waste of time and energy. Gaah!

P.S: Actually, "Pictures", "Documents" etc feel a lot more personal and to-the-point than "My Documents" etc. The latter sounds like Windows owns all that stuff and won't give any of it away to a stranger like u. :p Anyway it doesn't matter.

EDIT: Nice sig Konqueror. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom