Microsoft to Set IE8 Apart From Chrome by Giving It Twice the Bloat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat

Beyond Smart
Here's something you don't want to hear describing your latest browser: "epically porcine." Yes, that's exactly how software research firm Devil Mountain CEO Craig Barth described it. Just how bad is the bloat on the latest beta? Well, on a 10-site scenario test, Firefox 3.0.1 consumed 159MB of memory. IE7 consumed a heartier 250MB. IE 8? A whopping 380MB of memory. Yikes.

Read More: *gizmodo.com/5044967/microsoft-to-set-ie8-apart-from-chrome-by-giving-it-twice-the-bloat

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Firefox 150MB? A bit of googling on how much of a memory hog Firefox 3 is will put thing sin perspective. :) I am a full time Firefox 3 user on OS X; Ubuntu & Vista and it has even clocked 250MB + for 2 tabs.

And consumes around 1GB virtual memory on OS X.

WTH ? I am using Chrome comfortably without any issues on my Pentium 4 2.66 GHz Machine with 256MB DDR 400MHz RAM.

Infact, its due to chrome that I am resuming use of windows. Till chrome comes to linux, I wouldn't be booting to arch :(. All current browsers on Arch, namely Firefox (uber hanger), Midori (uber alpha state), Kazehakase (uber crashing), Konqueror (uber memory usage), Epiphany (uber bloated gnome libs), Opera (uber unusable) are bad.

krazzy

Techtree Reviewer
WTH ? I am using Chrome comfortably without any issues on my Pentium 4 2.66 GHz Machine with 256MB DDR 400MHz RAM.

Infact, its due to chrome that I am resuming use of windows. Till chrome comes to linux, I wouldn't be booting to arch :(. All current browsers on Arch, namely Firefox (uber hanger), Midori (uber alpha state), Kazehakase (uber crashing), Konqueror (uber memory usage), Epiphany (uber bloated gnome libs), Opera (uber unusable) are bad.

Arey Metaaaaaaaal. The thread is about IE8 being bloated, not Chrome. :p

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member

WTH!!! ??? are you trying to use opera to watch 1080p Videos?

kraazy said:
Arey Metaaaaaaaal. The thread is about IE8 being bloated, not Chrome.
Well, I was replying to people claiming that Chrome uses over 100MB of RAM.

Charan said:
WTH!!! ??? are you trying to use opera to watch 1080p Videos?
Nope. Opera has a rather LARGE interface, occupying most of my screen, and its toolbar and widgets look plane and there are no mouse over items effects (I use the QT4 compile). Along with this, it HANGS. When I open 5 tabs or so.

goobimama said:
Could it be that our Mr. Metal needs an upgrade in RAM? 256MB is waaaaaay back in time.
Well, anybody can ditch their ram for a new one, or throw their old system for a new one. There is nothing great in doing so, except for the fact that you need to save some cash. BUT, its a skill in itself to KEEP the old system and pull on with it.

axxo

99.9% Idle
my video ram itself is 256MB, I hope many would even have more than this..and my physical ram=4GB(256x16) :D
btw chrome is near perfect except for no addons.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
Midori (uber alpha state),Opera (uber unusable) are bad.

Wtf? Dude , seriously , how about you lay down the issues and not blames?
Midori's waay better than chrome , it is alpha but it still got regular features that the ingenious devs @ google managed to miss.

Like RSS feeds or Managing bookmarks for example.
And whats your issue with Opera? IIRC , i solved almost all your problems with Opera in the browser war thread?

Dont just throw crap on stuff without actually having any solid evidence.

narangz

Web developer
^^ Shanti bacha shanti, I see a fan of Opera in you. :p

Me too loves Opera. :D

Ontopic- Well IE8 Beta 2 is pretty good. I actually liked it. Will do some shootouts when the final version is out.

ray|raven

Think Zen.
^I aint angry , not even close :D

And about IE8 Beta2, i installed it on my office machine , but i dont see a 'Open in New Tab' on right-clicking links. Is it an issue with my system or did MS really miss it?

narangz

Web developer
There is 'Open in New Tab' option in IE 8 Beta 2. Here's a screenie:

*img177.imageshack.us/img177/9510/ie8ointrq1.th.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom