Microsoft Preps to Unveil DirectX 11 Features

Status
Not open for further replies.

s18000rpm

ಠ_ಠ
Unlike DirectX 9, the DirectX 10 will not have a more than four year lifespan as Microsoft Corp. plans to introduce features of DirectX 11 application programming interface at the forthcoming XNA gamefest conference that takes place next week in Seattle, Washington. Moreover, ATI, graphics product group of AMD, and Nvidia Corp. also plan to discuss certain Direct3D 11 features at upcoming conferences.

Microsoft is going to host four sessions dedicated to Direct3D 11 application programming interface (API), according to agenda of XNA conference. The world’s largest software maker plans to introduce the Direct3D 11 graphics pipeline, unveil details about D3D 11 Tessellation capability, new type of shaders called Compute Shader as well as high level shader language 5.0.

The DirectX 11 should be compatible with both Windows Vista and Windows 7 since Microsoft officially said that it has no plans to change driver model in its next-generation operating system. Therefore, it is logical to expect the arrival of DirectX 11 both ahead or after the launch of Windows 7, as the releases of the two products do not seem to be aligned.

It is unknown when ATI and Nvidia plan to launch hardware compatible with DirectX 11 application programming interface.

*neowin.net/news/main/08/07/18/microsoft-preps-to-unveil-directx-11-features
full story - *www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/displa...veil_DirectX_11_Features_in_Several_Days.html

Last edited:

amitava82

MMO Addict
WTF! DirectX 10 isn't even mainstream and we are talking about DX 11! :O
Seriously, MS needs better CEO who really knows and understands company's priorities... :|

goobimama

 Macboy
Well if compatibility is maintained with DX10 cards, then I think progress should always be priority. I don't see any point in holding back.

amitava82

MMO Addict
I don't see any reason why Dx11 should be a priority when they have other things to fix. I'd have concentrated more on the OS so that consumers actually pull the product instead of pushing it into the market. No flame war please.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
U guys have many misconseptions. Too bad I M standing in metro right now so can't type much, I will reply till 2 pm here. DX 11 is bringing tesselation & when combined with geometry shader it can do wonders for game devs, also GPGPU is the next big thing so we need DX 11 to bring a common API to use the potential of all GPUs equally.

goobimama

 Macboy
U guys have many misconseptions. Too bad I M standing in metro right now so can't type much, I will reply till 2 pm here. DX 11 is bringing tesselation & when combined with geometry shader it can do wonders for game devs, also GPGPU is the next big thing so we need DX 11 to bring a common API to use the potential of all GPUs equally.
I will go ahead and admit that I don't know jack about this stuff. So my +1 doesn't hold much weight as it can sway either way.

amitava82

MMO Addict
I don't know how that's going to help the OS. And as far as I remember, you said the same stuffs during early days of Dx10. So, yeah your lecture is not going the change the fact that MS team really need to focus on the OS.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
I don't see any reason why Dx11 should be a priority when they have other things to fix. I'd have concentrated more on the OS so that consumers actually pull the product instead of pushing it into the market. No flame war please.
No flame wars plz.. but imho MS has really FAILED when they came out with Vista. Not boasting around or something but I'm quite an advanced user (in all 3 platforms/OS internals) and haf been using Windows since I guess Windows 3.0 and I feel to the end user Vista has NO discernable improvements over XP. They surely wanna better their gaming console and I think its Xbox and related things that pushing MS in betterment of DX.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
^^^ Whatever.. they wanna pull back their image after Vista.. prolly thats the most cursed MS' OS.

Xbox is a wonderful product, its a welcome move if the next version would be DX11 compatible.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^yeah but then should all those who purchased DX 10 cards may have to trash them. beside people have seen that there really is not much visual advantage in DX9 and DX10. Remember Crysis highest setting mode was locked in XP (just coz people will play it on VISTA for the namesake of DX10). Its damn cruel business :rolleyes: Even Godfather fails here :!:
This has more entropy than filled jar of candies :D

Xbox is a noisy little beast :p

praka123

left this forum longback
countdown to the decline started ,I think :D .someone bought 9800GTxyz and there comes DX11 ! :lol:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
[ignoring useless rant]

@T159: Depends on how DirectX 11 actually works. Also, it is not like they are releasing DX 11 next month or next year for that matter. This is just going to be preview of sorts. Does someone actually stall their purchase of something that is announced today as going to be launched 3 years hence? Even if it were to trash DX 10 cards, 3 years from now, people would be in the usual upgrade cycle by then. People still buy second hand 7900gt inspite of DX 10 cards. ;)

[/ignoring useless rant]

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Xbox is a wonderful product, its a welcome move if the next version would be DX11 compatible.

Current XBOX 360 is already DirectX 10 compatible.

beside people have seen that there really is not much visual advantage in DX9 and DX10

DirectX 10 was never intended to be visually appealing then DX 9c. It was more of a highly efficient update. However with this efficiency developers were ablet o do more work per clock in DX 10 compared to DX 9 due to which resulting quality was much better, Example Crysis

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Current XBOX 360 is already DirectX 10 compatible.
thats what he meant ;-)

DirectX 10 was never intended to be visually appealing then DX 9c. It was more of a highly efficient update. However with this efficiency developers were ablet o do more work per clock in DX 10 compared to DX 9 due to which resulting quality was much better, Example Crysis
Crysis ? U seen the DX9 and DX10 shots in highest setting ? lolz

I agree that it was more of an efficiency upgrade from dev point of view

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
this will be a gr8 inspiration for gpu manus....but fact is even DX 10.1 games are rare and still most sites benches DX9 games even now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom