Microsoft Plans New Update to Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) Notifications in XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Microsoft is planning to release an update to Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) notifications in Windows XP. The worldwide roll-out will begin this week and will continue over the next few months.

This update will only affect Windows XP Professional systems. It’ll reconfigure the notifications experience to mirror notifications in Windows Vista SP1.

Customers who are using non-genuine Windows can expect a black desktop to appear every 60 minutes of use. Also a persistent desktop notification will appear in the lower right corner indicating that the user may be a victim of software counterfeiting.

For customers using non-genuine software, it’s important to note that Microsoft has a flexible option to convert to a genuine version. I recommend you to visit www.microsoft.com/genuine to learn more.

For more details about this update, you can check out the information outlined in the WGA blog at *blogs.msdn.com/wga/default.aspx.

Source

victor_rambo

हॉर्न ओके प्लीज़
I thought MS is smart to atleast have this keep confidential. Does MS think that hackers and crackers will keep mum?

debsuvra

is NOT a PC/Mac
I already encountered an update to Windows Update itself in Vista SP1 a few days ago but there were nothing similar for Windows Server 2008 though and that's strange. Still now nothing in Windows XP updates, waiting for it.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
So XP is going to be with us for some more time. Nice move by MS, I guess they realize that almost all those who use pirated windows use the professional edition.

*s269.photobucket.com/albums/jj44/visio159/Unismilies/44large.png

The only thing is how many of them actually bother to turn Automatic Updates on?

din

Tribal Boy
Vishal, this information was under NDA. U Sure u r allowed to post it?

As per VG's post, this news is already posted in

*blogs.msdn.com/wga/default.aspx

Which can be accessed publicly.

Also that blog post time is - Tuesday, August 26, 2008 10:24 AM

So I do not think VG has done something wrong. Whats wrong in sharing the useful info ?

chandru.in

In the zone
^^ Sssshhh... Don't argue he is just doing his duties. :D

Don't worry saurav. I'll stop him from hindering the flow of your FUD.

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
I Also recommend to use At least Genuine Operating System if you cannot get Original Software/Games ,at least get Genuine OS

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
I also recommend using genuine windows
by getting genuine.. sorry thats AWESOME GENUINE MICROSOFT WINDOWS your pc will run faster, and you will automatically feel hi-tech!!

Quick throw your money , don't be a victim, and boost that ego
HARRRR

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
Well; unless you cant afford, or you are absolutely clueless; or an inconvincable arrogant, Using Genuine Windows/Software is recommended.

I do not happen to use a genuine Windows because;
1. I cannot afford it for the time being; as I am a student.
2. It'll take a few years before laws get enforced in our country, Nepal.

Though; Im not like people who being aware, dont care piracy. I use Windows because its necessary. I do not use any other pirated software like MSOffice, Photoshop; as we have damn good free/OSS alternatives. Add to it that I am learning linux and will temporarily abandon windows once I am able to do all basic stuff in Linux. I just have to get used to Linux. (Its being a tough battle right now to configure it for my hardware; damn the Via chipset I have. :neutral: )

There are freinds of mine, who know about simple OSS alternatives (like OpenOffice.org to MSOffice; Like GIMP to Photoshop, Like AVG/Avast to Morton, etc) of many softwares but still they havent woken up to the fact and keep using the pirated softwares. At least they could contribute to less-piracy.

After I get on my feet; I promise anything, I'll use genuine Windows/softwares. But Im sorry friends; I am not a tech noob and have a good Idea of linux as well; but I simply cant prevent using pirated Windows for 1-2 years to come.

Smoke

Macroshaft® Losedos™ MVP
Let me tell you something
If there is no piracy, rapidshare business will be lost and so the m$ going to lose their share(as they lost IE share to firefox) so it not only saves m$ but also someone who indirectly involves in the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom