Microsoft "new" patent could "force" downloaders to view commercials!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitboxx

Juke Box Hero
A new patent application filed by Microsoft describes methods for "enforcing" advertisements in downloaded media. Traditionally, ads accompany streaming content and, by extension, restrict that content to a browser. But technology that could bring ads to downloaded content would open up new opportunities for digital distribution services, advertisers, and consumers, and could give DRM a whole new leg to stand on.

Microsoft's patent application, titled Enforcing Advertising Playback For Downloaded Media Content, describes systems that are based both on tokens and DRM which would prohibit playing a media file unless its accompanying advertising is viewed. The technology is designed to prohibit fast-forwarding, editing, or otherwise circumventing the advertisements, though it is unclear exactly where the ads would be placed. Internet users have repeatedly announced their distaste for pre-roll ads in streaming content and video games, but users of NBC's Hulu service reportedly don't mind its TV-like interstitial ads. READ MORE
As if DRM wasn't enough!!:x

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
ok M$, go on.people won't be watching any longer.
btw i just want to meet the man who invented DRM.

praka123

left this forum longback
that's what i said from first!M$ is the devil who forces DRM and other technologies to poor end user :x I have to say M$ sucks!

vaithy

In the zone
Which advertiser going to force for such technology ?.. the object of the advertisement is to make a good impression of his products on the consumer minds.. Can any advertiser dare to force his advertisement in the Nazi 'gestapo' style on the throat of the customer?.. it'll be a negative publicity for them..Already Phillips has some sort of patent that the TV watcher should view the advertisement compulsorily... Any way it is very good that M$ is doing the destruction of its own company...

vaithy

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
:-(

I hate when they use drm..

First of all we should start stop buying products from those companies who force these kinda ads..which will eventually will lead to removal of these nonsense.

moshel

Padawan
so is this like...I purchase a song with my hard earned money, and then i have to listen to ads first before i get to hear the song????

just like it is in DVDs. i buy an original DVD and am forced to see adverts. i buy pirated DVD and the second screen which displays on the tv is the title screen....pirated stuff is sooo simpler than original stuff.

i buy original windows, i have to go through the online registration and stuff before i can use it....i buy pirated windows, i can just start using it as soon as the setup is over..pirated stuff is sooo simpler than original stuff...

x3060

A LOTR fan
i am afraid to say "pirates may be the only good future " for us :-(. its sad , but i guess life over there is simple for humans .
wait , if only 3ds max , photoshop , combustion or after effects gets to Linux . i can say happy farewell to windows . arent those companys listening :-(. i want to move out of MS .

x3060

A LOTR fan
hell , am on phone , but is this your machine , man thats maya :). expect a pm ;-). is it 2008 , 8.5 or 8 . . i cant zoom much in phone .
well , i use maya and max (for archi). combustion for post production . will move to fusion next month .i know photoshop can be MADE to run . but i was wishing for a solid package :).

praka123 said:
that's what i said from first!M$ is the devil who forces DRM and other technologies to poor end user :x I have to say M$ sucks!
Only FanBoys think M$ Doesn't suck, so don't repeat the line again and again. Atleast concider adding some poetry or some literary device to make it unique.
moshel said:
so is this like...I purchase a song with my hard earned money, and then i have to listen to ads first before i get to hear the song????

just like it is in DVDs. i buy an original DVD and am forced to see adverts. i buy pirated DVD and the second screen which displays on the tv is the title screen....pirated stuff is sooo simpler than original stuff.

i buy original windows, i have to go through the online registration and stuff before i can use it....i buy pirated windows, i can just start using it as soon as the setup is over..pirated stuff is sooo simpler than original stuff...
solid reasoning there bro...
Hitboxx said:
Maya(which I think is better than Max) is readily available across all platforms including Linux:smile:
Wooohooo! Really? I love Maya then. Which versions are available for Linux? What is the system requirements for their latest Personal Learning Edition? What is the other best version(free) for us? Which version can run on My config(With 256 mb DDR, P4 2.66 GHz and GMA 900, I guess the answer is none)
CadCrazy said:
Wah wah. "Billi ka to lagta hai bas yahi sapna ram ram japna praya mal apna"
Billi is not involved in this. Ballmer is the one who is heading M$ now. Which era do you belong to?

x3060

A LOTR fan
maya was available for all platform from the start itself, alias did a right thing there
only autodesk is not providing any support for linux..:(
blender is a good open source program for 3d
fusion, flame, inferno????, flint (i guess) , shake, FCP all work with linux , these are composeting programs
i wish for a .rpm or .deb for photoshop, they still dont have any for linux..:(

oh, hitbox said maya is a .rpm format so redhat is the way to go, or suse ..that lines

just a few more and you can run a full fledged 3d app suite in linux....am waiting for
1.3d max
2.photoshop (official release)
3.combustion, after effects
.....may be zbrush or mudbox, thats all..:)

Last edited:

d1g1t

Stupid Member
Next they'll be giving out free handycams, provided you share everything you record with them o_O

CadCrazy

in search of myself
MetalheadGautham said:
Billi is not involved in this. Ballmer is the one who is heading M$ now. Which era do you belong to?

So you are saying that Billi has sold it to Billa-Mar :D

Voldy

The Dark lord
When MS would stop bringing their idotic policy to distrub the customers first DRM now these

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom