Microsoft finishes work on Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Courtesy: Yahoo News
Edited: Kiran

SEATTLE - Microsoft Corp. finished work Wednesday on its long-delayed Windows Vista operating system, and said the software would be broadly available Jan. 30.

The announcement means Microsoft will meet — just barely — its revised goal of putting Vista in consumers' hands in the first month of 2007.

Windows Vista's code was released midmorning Wednesday to manufacturing — a step that allows the company to begin making the copies that will be distributed with PCs and sold at stores.

The release will be the first major upgrade in more than five years to the operating system that powers most of the world's personal computers. Vista boasts improved graphics, more effective tools for finding documents, pictures and other items on personal computers, and a new Internet browser, among other changes.

The software has been plagued by delays, the most recent of which was blamed in part on efforts to improve security. Microsoft products are a near-constant target of Internet attackers, and the company is often in the uncomfortable position of having to plug holes in its products.

Microsoft cautioned that Vista will still face some security threats because attackers are growing more sophisticated. But it said a rigorous testing process and changes that make it harder for attacks to jump from one Vista-powered computer to the next should reduce those problems.

In its quest to get Vista out the door, Redmond-based Microsoft also has had to scale back some of its original goals, including scrapping a more sophisticated method for sorting and organizing data. Analysts have said that scaling back the system could hurt the company if people don't see enough reason to upgrade.

The most recent delays also forced Microsoft to miss the holiday season, potentially dealing a blow to computer makers and retailers who may have been hoping for the new system to boost gift sales.

Microsoft said it is providing tools that allow companies to test for compatibility problems more quickly than with past Windows releases. He also said he hopes the security improvements would drive companies to upgrade faster.

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
xp will live 1-2 years easily , I will most probably go dual boot when i get vista. And i dont think small offices/cyber cafe's have any reason to switch to costly vista.

nikhilrao

Journeyman
Thnks kiran for the info. No MSwill hav to spend time on the vista patches, i guess. Xp will last for atlist 5 more yrs befor its start getting outdated methinks.

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
nikhilrao said:
Thnks kiran for the info. No MSwill hav to spend time on the vista patches, i guess. Xp will last for atlist 5 more yrs befor its start getting outdated methinks.

Welcome dude :)

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
Windows Vista will take bit more time in India compared to other countries. Same was the case of Windows XP earlier. But now it is extensively used. Time being we may feel that Vista requires high configuration, but with time, high-end system's are becoming more and more affordable and more powerful. It's worth to account for Vista's awesome Aero Interface. Windows adds colour - fun with computing!

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
But i have noticed 1 thing.......its easier to adapt to vista from XP thn it was to adapt to XP from 2000/Me...

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
You 'said' it or you 'discussed' it - what ever your literature mean, understand onething this is not place for it. Read the forum rules...you don't wanna Moderator do some hammering on you. Right?

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Aah. I m not a new member. I jst said that word. Means if i say the word piracy then m i breaking rules. I never gave any site link. Ppl daily here say pirated, crack and all means they r breaking rules??

OP
Kiran.dks

Kiran.dks

Technomancer
It's pitty that being a 'Alpha Geek', I still have to say these things to you. People discuss here 'AGAINST' Piracy, crack..etc and not ABOUT it. Hope the bold ones made any difference for you.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
Aaah. I m been on this forum more than uu. I have seen many posts.... Well after this toh me not gonna reply in this thread. If according to u i broke rules than fine I did....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom