Memory Ch@os.......................Plz Help..................

Status
Not open for further replies.

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Hi guys,
I have a 400MHz moudule running....Its not even 2 month old.
From 2 weeks I am not using the pc too much...only surfing the net etc...
So I underclocked my ram from 400 MHz to 200 MHz..and the voltage from 2.60 to 2.55....to increase the modules life...and enabled Cool n' Quite for the processor.
But now when I run the ram at the rated speed 400 MHz,2.60 volts...it restarts as soon as Xp boots.....
I tried to 'Load Default Settings' from the BIOS but in vain......
The DRAM timing control is set to auto.......
My BIOS can only control the CAS Latency.....

Plz help me guys,

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
you are mad if you underclocked your ram.

from what I readunderclcocking too much has a negative effect atleast on the graphic card.

OP
samrulez

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
akshayt said:
you are mad if you underclocked your ram.

from what I readunderclcocking too much has a negative effect atleast on the graphic card.

But now what do I do??How does underclocking have a negative effect??

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
It may be having, why the hell did you underclock it, that too by 50%!!!

Anyway, go here techenclave.com/forum, in case your RAM is ruined you have to buy new ram, though you may get RMA if you make it 400mhz again but then that is ethically not permitted, that is to be dishonest, your coice.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
It may be having, why the hell did you underclock it, that too by 50%!!!

Anyway, go here techenclave.com/forum, in case your RAM is ruined you have to buy new ram, though you may get RMA if you make it 400mhz again but then that is ethically not permitted, that is to be dishonest, your coice.

cyrux

In the zone
akshayt said:
though you may get RMA if you make it 400mhz again but then that is ethically not permitted, that is to be dishonest, your coice.

Ahem , ahem ..cut the ethical crap

Sam , before you underclocked your RAM to increase its life, didnt you ever read about it somewhere else ... firstly where did this idea come to your mind..
When ever you try to do something new you should always see if its been done before and the other risk factors

if nothing works out increase your freq back to 400Mhz and apply for RMA

Ch@0s

In the zone
Well before RMA'ing it, go to the bios, set the divider to 400MHz, and tCAS, tRCD and tRP timings to 3-3-3 manually. Now check if it works or not with these settings. If not, reset the CMOS by removing the battery and waiting for a few minutes. Also you can check if its really the ram by downloading memtest86. You'd need a blank floppy to test.

OP
samrulez

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
It was a fun experiment that I conducted...I wanted a way to increase the modules life>>>....:D

I tried everything.........and..
It booted properly in the Safe Mode.......sometimes...
So I found out that there was some start-up software that could not accept the change.....
So I re-installed Xp and everything is running fine.....
But memtest detected 2 errors..any way to recover them...

Thanks guys for the replies,
Sam....

Ch@0s

In the zone
samrulez said:
It was a fun experiment that I conducted...I wanted a way to increase the modules life>>>....:D

I tried everything.........and..
It booted properly in the Safe Mode.......sometimes...
So I found out that there was some start-up software that could not accept the change.....
So I re-installed Xp and everything is running fine.....
But memtest detected 2 errors..any way to recover them...

Thanks guys for the replies,
Sam....

If memtest detected errors at stock, well the ram is kaput.

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1) Ethical is not crap, etihcal means not being a cheat.
2) Poor poeple like us need to use RMA for our own faults, if you are not POOR, then you shouldnt

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
From 200 MHz to 100 MHz ... Hmm ... did u try anything in between ?? like 133 (266) or 166(333) ???

This is very odd .. underclocking should not kill the RAM .. something else could be wrong ... maybe the reduced voltage could have done it , at even though underclock , u can't run below a certain rated voltage ...

OP
samrulez

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
deathvirus_me said:
From 200 MHz to 100 MHz ... Hmm ... did u try anything in between ?? like 133 (266) or 166(333) ???

This is very odd .. underclocking should not kill the RAM .. something else could be wrong ... maybe the reduced voltage could have done it , at even though underclock , u can't run below a certain rated voltage ...

I ran the ram at 100 MHz at 2.55 V.....
The default was 200MHz at 2.60 V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom