Memory Bus speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

balagopalks

Broken In
Hi,

My machine is a Intel P4(HT)2.4 Ghz machine with 865GBF mother Board with Windows XP (SP1) and 256 mb Simtronics DDR Ram.
I would like to add a new256 mb ram module to my machine along with the old ram . I would like to know which ram I shall buy so that my machine perform better and faster. Is there any significance in the BUS speed of ram? I suppose my older bus speed was 333 .. If you please comment on this regard; that would be helpful. Shall i buy a new ram with 400 Mhz bus speed?

regards
Gopal

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Go for the 400mhz if u can afford it as it will speede up ur ram bandwidth, BUT sometimes errors occur if both modules arent of the same frequency, but i guess its OK in 865 as i have 2x256 (333 and 400) and still no problem,
But be safe be sure :D

AlienTech

In the zone
Yes buy the fastest RAM you can afford since you can always use it later on. I would buy the DDR400 instead of 333 since the price difference is only 200-400 for 512MB. If your motherboard runs @ 333 then it will run the faster ram slower, but it will still be faster than the 333 RAM since some stuff like refresh and things takes less time with the 400.

OP
B

balagopalks

Broken In
Hi All,

Thankz for your answers!!

I am sorry to tell you that I have just found out that my current Ram(256mb) bus speed is (DDR)266
I thought mine was 333.
I am planning to buy a new 256mb ram
So wht bus speed shall i prefer ?266 or 333 or 400?

Please advice..

regards
Gopal

sidewinder

Ambassador of Buzz
if u can then discard ur old ram and buy ddr 400 modules.If u cant afford that then ddr 266 is ur best choice.ddr 400 may work but not gurranted nd also not safe either

OP
B

balagopalks

Broken In
HI,

My dealer accepted to pay 1200 Rs for my old DDR266 256, But i have to buy 2 DDR400 256 mb from him..(All simtronics)
I would like to know how refurbished ram could be identified, also I would like to know how I can find out a second hand RAM.
Do u have any tips to find out a new genuine RAM?

plz advice!

regards
Gopal

wolfff

Broken In
A very simple way is to buy the RAM with a bill. Because if you insist on a bill, it will be ur proof of Warranty. ie if u buy the Ram today, it should be warantted for (mostly) 3 years. Dealers cannot provide complete warranties on second hand Ram. Packing etc. can also be used to differeniate new ram from used modules. Insist on a sealed packing with a bill :)

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yep wolfff is right, insist on the bill, atleast it will see to it that u can replace it if faulty...
Also, u can buy any ram company, jus see the latency times and buy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom