McAfee joins Symantec protesting Vista kernel lockout

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

ankitsagwekar

The world's two largest security vendors are now in lockstep protesting against what they see as an attempt by Microsoft to shut them out of the Vista security market by leveraging its operating system monopoly

*www.itwire.com.au/content/view/5942/53/

anandk

Distinguished Member
they :D r trying to save their bread-n-butter ! else they will have to re-invent their biznesses

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!

well the idea of the patch gaurd is superb....

but i think these antivirus software firms (symantec ans Mcafee) can provide a update or offer microsoft...concerning about the security alerts to provide regular updates if they find or if someone hacks into the patch gaurd system...

well i think microsoft is correct in locking the kernel..

wht is symentac and mcaffe are intrested....?????

i dont know....

vista is the ultimate and microdsoft wants it to be the best..if they are finding a newer solution in preventing from the hackers,trojanetc...it should be taken in a good manner...

yes i agree that programs are codes that is to be broken...but well microsoft are the best in software developing..they will make the patchgaurd more secure.....

then wht is the purpose of the antivirus agents to take control over the kernel????
now itself they are killing the monster systems...
why??cant a trojan or spyware mimic as a software and have kernel access???

or let it be like this...cant a NEW BREED OF INFECTIVE PROGRAMS be designed...

?
?
?
hope for the best....

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
ankitsagwekar why cant u open a poll of whether to lock down the kernal by microsoft or leave it open so as the so called power hungry antivirus/anti spyware......agents take control over the kernel.......

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
yeah, me 2oo agree wid wat AnandK hafta say !!! :) No need of AVs to get control over kernels !!! As Viruses will do so with as much ease.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
This will put Symantec & McAfee out of business!!! Talking about Kernel-lock, the
Virus-writers know how to unlock the lock!!! Let the drama unfold!!!

OP
A

ankitsagwekar

read this

ms is big player
i think ms give access 2 av bcoz ms is dumping there old os when next ver of windows release i m sure it dump vista
if u don't like my post ask urself about windows98 & 2k
even xp requied 3rd party patch
i m 101% sure patch gard is crack by hacker and if virus go to kernal what u do??????? wait for windows update????

anandk

Distinguished Member
now it seems adobe has also joined symantec/mcafee in asking d EU 2 ban ms from incorporating free software into Vista; because it will hamper competitors from developing similar software !

maybe adobe fears that ms's 'Expression' may takeover adobe's photoshop or dreamweavers work !

swatkat

Technomancer
PatchGuard is not new. It's already there in Windows x64 editions (Windos 2003 SP1 and Windows XP Pro 64bit versions). And, it has been already bypassed. Here's an excellent article which deals with bypassing PatchGuard.

hemant_mathur

-- No Easter Eggs here --
Whats more .. kaspersky says MS is not trying to block Kernal : *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38142

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Swatkat, That's a very nice article. Thanks for that link mate. Yes, kernel-locking
will make Windows Vista more secure & stable. Apple's Mac has kernel-lock in place.
So that no program can access the kernel & do damage.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Why should third party apps have access at kernel level is beyond me. I feel opening the kernel to such apps will make the whole OS more insecure. Bugs in such software can leave the whole OS vulnerable to various exploits. MS made Symantec and other security companies so big and they have to face the consequences now. Just like Frankestein went against it's master.

anandk

Distinguished Member
ketanbodas said:
Wats this Patchguard ?

PatchGuard, is that ms technology which locks the windows system kernel to all outside vendors.

ms claims that by locking the kernel to outside vendors, it'll eliminate most of the causes of the "Blue Screen of Death", as well as prevent rootkits from installing. but unfortunately (or fortunately), it'll also eliminate most third-party firewalls...and av's too !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom