Status
Not open for further replies.

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Is it safe to use monitor at its maximum supported resolution or keep it lower than it?
Does using it at maximum limit do any harm to hardware?

Using max limit put stress on graphic adapter, yes or no? And does constant resolution changes, like when normal use it is some value and during playing games it has some other value cause any problem.

Right now I am using Samsung 793s at 1152 X 864 at 32-bit with refresh rate at optimal on Geforce 5200 128mb. The maximum resolution supported is 1280 X 1024. But while playing doom 3 and hl2 it is 640 X 480 and 1024 X 768 respectively.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
I am not aware of any damage that might be inflicted with max resolution usage (though they warn u in the box). I have a samsung 753s and it too has a max resolution of 1280x1024, which I am using for desktop and some games. And afaik, only the grafx card memory gets used more because of higher resolution, so no damages there.
Constant resolution change is something else, though as it puts strain on the monitor. Once, I was using tc++ so much that, one day when I exited back to destop, my screen width got shrunk. I had to repair my monitor to get it fixed.

cvvikram

MVP in VC++
Yup even i have read in technical magazines saying that if use monitor in their threshold level ..it may damage them...i don't know wether it is true or not.

to be safer side it is better to use std res like 1024x764 etx for 17in

KnightRider

Broken In
Well, if you use monitor at higher resolution,, it depends upon your machine. if its a latest machine then it doesnot matter much at what resoluiton you use. but in case of p3 or less then using at higher resolution may hamper the memory if u dont make the memory size to 4 mb or 8 mb in the bios. the normal size is mb for video. at 1 mb you cannot make the resolution to 1024 X 768.. when u try to make it may not happen and if it happens then it take up your virtual memory. for which everytime you log in, your machine will start slowly.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
One more thing that I forgot to add is that, at maximum resolution, ur monitor will at it;s minimum refresh rate (60Hz). I don't know if it's true for all monitors, but I guess this is why they ask u not to run at max. resolution.

q3_abhi

Youngling
I think a level just below the maximum will be then best n will ensure that no damage is caused . It also depends on ur machine configuration.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
i got a Samsung Syncmaster 763MB 17" monitor .... max resolution supported is 1280x1024 @ 65Hz ... my desktop res. is at 1280x768 @ 90Hz .... i generally play games at 1280x768(90Hz) , 1280x960(65Hz) , 1280x1024(65Hz) .... i dont think using the highest supported resolution will harm any hardware parts....

raasm287

Journeyman
it depends on your monitor!! my monitor's max resolution is 1280x768. but this resolution should not be tried in all monitors as it can give few errors

KnightRider

Broken In
iT depends on the monitor for the resolution... and its true its not going to hamper any hardware parts! but it will take up memory.. soif u have low memory then its a problem.. but its just a mere thing. it hardly matters in present days pcs.

OP
john_the_ultimate

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
My machine configuration is p4 3.0 GHz, 512mb DDR RAM(single channel), 80 GB SEAGATE HDD(PATA), Geforce 5200 128mb agp 8x, Intel 865GBF motherboard, 400w SMPS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom