.:: 3 : 1 6 ::.
Hi guyz
i am about to take a new Pc with the foll config

AMD 64bit 3200+ processor
MSI Motherboard
1GB Ram
160 GB SATA Segate HDD
..........etc..

But my Machine assembler told me that i cant install win 98 to my system as the max ram it can take is 512MB..and the installation stops after being half done..is there any patch to make it possible to install it.

Also im usin a pIII machine now and i havent tried any softies like windowsblind,styleXP etc..can anyone telll me how to make PNG icons in a row on the bottom as we saw most times in the MY DESKTOP part in the digit mag???

ALSO TELL ME MSI MB OR THE ASUS MB is god for the AMD processor...???

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
The max ram win98 can accept is 2GB. But due to a bug in memory block allocation, windows does indeed halt if more than 512mb ram is installed.
Here's a google answer:
*answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=333688

Here's a microsoft article:
*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181862

My suggestion is to upgade to xp or 2000 as it can better utilize the hardware and provide faster i/o performance.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
Couple of questions buddy. Which one do you have in mind 754/939 ? Because mobo for both are different. So can you please let us know.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
@OP
If u haven't bought the processor yet, ask for a venice core processor. It has sse3, has increasable multiplier and overclocks better.
Go for asus if u want to overclock ur processor better. The NF4 ultra chipset in asus is good too. Which msi mobo do u have, btw?

AlienTech

In the zone
siriusb said:
The max ram win98 can accept is 2GB. But due to a bug in memory block allocation, windows does indeed halt if more than 512mb ram is installed.
Here's a google answer:
*answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=333688

Here's a microsoft article:
*support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;181862

My suggestion is to upgade to xp or 2000 as it can better utilize the hardware and provide faster i/o performance.

But you can use WIN ME :) I have been using it with 1GB for a long time. Not that it makes any difference. You run out of memory jsut as fast as if you only had 256MB.

siriusb

Cyborg Agent
Are u serious? Friends don't let friends use win ME!
Don't even think about ME. Use 2000/xp that is stripped of all extra services. You don't even have to do this as ur h/w is good enough.

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
I agree with Siri. Venice is the way to go. Go here and check out quick reference guide. *www.amdcompare.com/us-en/desktop/Default.aspx

AlienTech

In the zone
siriusb said:
Are u serious? Friends don't let friends use win ME!
Don't even think about ME. Use 2000/xp that is stripped of all extra services. You don't even have to do this as ur h/w is good enough.

Win2000 is not a possibility because it has a total lack of drivers. WinME on the other hand was the new apple and a lot of multimedia stuff used to have drivers just for it. And it was all auto detected so it was great and easy to set up. Well maybe.. :) I still liked how easy it was to set up win95 if you knew what you were doing. WINME does not give you that choice.. Now that winxp is out all this is pointless but when a problem develops, debugging any of it is a royal pain. Actually I have not been able to fix a single problem since win me came out since it is all in the drivers which has to be compatable with the operating system. With 95 you could always find a way to get it up and running. I know of a few major problems with win xp but I have no clue on how to fix it. Even when I know where the problem is. What a royal pain.

theraven

Technomancer
oye bhaiyon .. if hes shifting hed rather shift straight to xp / 2003 na...
who would want to use 98 on an AMD64 system without a good reason ?

though i cant see that reason myself lol ..
there are a million choices of OS's ....

also anisha. . that line of PNG icons is called a "DOCK"
now mostly ppl yse Y'ZDock .. but that development has stopped and u wont get it for download anywhere

other choices are mobydock and Objectdock ...
try them out..

ull get png icons at deviantart.com, and wincustomize.com

zombie

Resident Weapons Expert
anish_sha said:
can anyone telll me how to make PNG icons in a row on the bottom as we saw most times in the MY DESKTOP part in the digit mag???

Makes me miss my eMac. :cry:

Anisha, as Raven told go for some other OS. No point running 98 on 64-bit rig. You will be wasting the resources. Moreover it'll be better if you switched to XP or still better Linux (provided you want to) to take full advantage of this rig. That would solve all problems for supported H/W

Ankit

Journeyman
well i suspect if is a memory problem...infact i think there is a problem with either processor or motherboard...coz i tried installing win 98 on a computer of similar configuration except the RAM which was 512MB...the installation gave hell lot of problems and i was not successfull...now he has got some programs which will work only in win98 ..not even in compatibility mode of win XP....now i'm planning to install win 98 on a vmware runnig on XP...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom