Matter or Not ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

FasTrack

Journeyman
IS FIRE MATTER OR NOT ?

As per the conventional definition, anything that occupies space and has mass is called matter.

So tell me is it or it isn't.

ishaan

Padawan
yeah it is
cuz dose molecules wich get heated up or whatever....da fuel molecules i guess.....dey do occupy space n dey do hav some mass...no matter how small it is but it is dere...

but 1 thing boggles my mind...y da DIGIT forums ???

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
A bit confusing...
Well fire doesn't occupies any space and don't have any mass. It is not matter but a form of energy.
Proof:
It doesn't occupy space: Put your hand in fire, will the fire move to other place to occupy more space???
I doesn't have mass: Take a piece of candle. Measure its mass. Light it and again take its mass in an airtight container. Minus the mass of the container. You will get the same value.

N

nipun_the_gr8

may i know why r these things being posted in here ???????????

N

nipun_the_gr8

may i know why r these things being posted here ???????????

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
I suppose u r talking about 'flame' not 'fire'

even if u r talking about fire,
->it doesnt occupy space - what u see are heated up particles of the combustible substance
->it doesnt have mass - mass is of particles of the substance being burned
that way fire is simply a collection of particles having very high energy wrt the surroundings

theraven

Technomancer
is this a joke ?
nicccceeee ....
"matter" discussions in a tech forum
now ive seen everything
( i hope i didnt say that too soon ) :lolz:

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
hmmm yes

linkin park
physics
engineering or not?
happy birthday
my sister's wedding
euthanasia

we've sure seen much more for a tech forum

OP
F

FasTrack

Journeyman
Physically v can categorise a particle into solid, liquid or a gas.

Fire does not come into any of the above given categories, though it is the result of burning of some form of matter, I'm not sure if the resultant obtained stuff is matter.

Reasons 4 not being matter

1) u can extinguish a candle flame with ur finger - ultimately whats left between ur fingers after u extinguish the flame is nothing (i.e the volume), and there is no mass too which suggests it is not matter.

2) Different layers of burning ( ever noticed diff colours in a candle flame ???? ), matter though not always burns uniformly, but the resultant obtained flame is unicoloured.

Reason why it is matter

1) Everything that occupies space is matter - till the candle flame is not put off, observe that the space occupied by the flame is at the expense of burning some atmospheric gases, so the volume by which the atmospheric gases are burnt is the instantaneous volume of the flame, which ultimately means it is matter.

NikhilVerma

Padawan
I disagree....
reasons...

1) If fire is not a matter then where the hell it came from...
It is actually a cloud of gas giving out photons... and gas is a matter..

2) The candle experiment doesn't prove anything .. It just proves that the net mass of a body remains intact...

3) And if you put your finger in the fire it spreads around them...

NikhilVerma

Padawan
Check these out... and tell me if i'm wrong...

*antoine.frostburg.edu/chem/senese/101/matter/faq/is-fire-matter.shtml

*www.madsci.org/posts/archives/Apr2003/1050876133.Ot.r.html

*science.howstuffworks.com/fire1.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom