Massive data loss bug in leopard ...another hole

Status
Not open for further replies.

naveen_reloaded

!! RecuZant By Birth !!
Massive Data Loss Bug in Leopard
November 5 th, 2007
Update: The bug occurs regardless of the type of destination being moved to (whether it's local USB, local Firewire, SMB, etc.). Also, I have been informed that this bug goes back all the way to Panther.
Update 2: Here's a video of the same thing happening to a USB drive: leopardmovebug.avi

Leopard's Finder has a glaring bug in its directory-moving code, leading to horrendous data loss if a destination volume disappears while a move operation is in action. I first came across it when Samba crashed while I was moving a directory from my desktop over to a Samba mount on my FreeBSD server.
I've now run tests on a Windows XP SP2 SMB mount, as well as a local HFS+ formatted USB drive, and the bug surfaces every time the destination disappears while the Finder is moving something to the destination.

*tomkarpik.com/articles/massive-data-loss-bug-in-leopard/

praka123

left this forum longback
this is what closed source development means both for mac or windows.
opensource Linux or BSDs fix bug asap.So OSS works!

din

Tribal Boy
@NucleusKore

That is not about copying, the data loss occured while moving (as per the news / source). It is safe to use copy till they fix the bug. Moving data on network - always risky. Using copy-verify-delete is better.

NucleusKore

TheSaint
din said:
@NucleusKore

That is not about copying, the data loss occured while moving (as per the news / source). It is safe to use copy till they fix the bug. Moving data on network - always risky. Using copy-verify-delete is better.

Ok, that's right, I always avoid cut paste, copy paste is always better

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
This has already been fixed in the 10.5.1 update recently seeded to developers by Apple. It will soon be released to the general public. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom