Mandrake ... FC 3 ?? for newbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

talrejaharish

Journeyman
hey

im a complete newbie on :roll: LINUX :roll: :roll: :roll:

so to start off i installed ...

FC 3 from Digit Jan DVD ... made a couple of mistakes but started FC 3 and used it ... dint find it tat good compared to windows XP and the reviews i had read bout Linux.

Just then , got digit FEB DVD ...
burnt iso's of mandrake 10.1 ... formatted n reinstalled on FC 3 drive ... its a desktop users "DREAM COME TRUE" ... all who say FC 3 is better than mandrake are either
Code:
LINUX Geeks/ command line users/ GUI i-dont-care-types.
... well for me ... its great ... i m goin to leave windows XP soon and shiftover to Mandrake or the next issue of PCQ Linux ... so all in all one more Linux user !!!
keep counting
:lol: :lol: :evil: :evil:

and al those who havent tried mandrake coz of wat ppl say n want a good easy to use / configure GUI .. please use Mandrake 10.1 (latest as of now) ... its worth it ... !!!! :D :D :D

OP
T

talrejaharish

Journeyman
and now i have FC 3 (full download) distro 4 cds

and Mandrake 10.3 (full download) distro 3 cds .....

contact me if anyone needs either of them ...

and please post and say wether ur view towards Mandrake changed after the previous post ..............

tuxfan

Technomancer
Cool!! Welcome aboard the Linux rocket!! :D

I will suggest go for PCQ Linux 2005. Its coming in March. I have been using PCQ Linux 2004 and its good. They customise a lot of things and fine tune it to our requirements. Additionally, they provide support thru the magazine and their forum. All in all, its a pleasant expereince.

I just installed Mandrake 10.1 in one machine and that looks good too.

demoninside

In the zone
Hey it doesn't matters which distro u like,
all goes in the say way of freedom,
any way tux i m also waiting for PCQ2005 never used it before,
any way i think Mandrake is cool,
but FC3 isn't bad either but just wasn't able to play my Xvid rips on that.

tuxfan

Technomancer
From what I have heard, FC3 is a resource hungry distro. Its a bloat on the system (knowledge courtesy GNUrag and a few others). But because of PCQ's customisation, they reduce a lot of overheads required to run the system and still you get the goodies of FC. So that is why I prefer PCQL. They really put in a lot of effort for us :)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
ubuntu is gr8 too... just the installation is a bit tuff for newbies...

though i just loved the installation part.... and gnome 2.8.. thats what i vie for :p

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
He he he .... Ubuntu is such a great distribution that now i feel so proud of using and advocating Debian GNU/Linux to people who are contemplating a switch from Windows.

Though its a base CD only, but its so neatly done with GNOME that i'm telling my students to make a similar kind of distro..

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
I jumped onto Linux with slackware 2.0 in '97. and I've always been partial to RH and Fedora till now, but Ubuntu was so awesome that I am literally pushing it on to every single user I can find who wants to switch to Linux. :D Kinda restores my faith in the good old Linux, and here I was afraid that all this segregation and "customization" was going to break the very idealogy of Linux. I was so upset with the RH BDI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom