Managing A 320gb Hdd And 40 Gb Hdd

Status
Not open for further replies.

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
i bought a 320gb hdd recently (today:D) .previously i had 40 gb maxtor hdd.
can anyone suggest me best use of both the drives .???

i don't want to use 40gb maxtor hdd as an external hdd! i read smwhere that os can be installed it one hdd ,all the other programs and data on the other.by doing so wont the links get broken when i reinstall os after some period?

any software to fix the broken links automatically???

any other ideas??

and one more thing! ive got a 40 gb old seagate hdd which has crashed .its not detected by the bios.wht else can be tried on this peice??:confused:

magneticme200

In the zone
also thre is no such sftwre..
i wud suggest u make ur 40 gb hdd ur boot hdd...and install as many sftwrs as u want...
40 gb is enuf for any numbr of sftwrs..
and fr evrythng else use ur 320 gb hdd..!
do not install sftwrs in any othr drive...coz wen u reinstall ur os...many sftwrs remain half installd in ur system unnecesarily.!

OP
S

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
if i install all softwares in one drive then i will have to install each and every software once again when i re install os on tht particluar drive.more suggestions please.:confused:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i bought a 320gb hdd recently (today:D) .previously i had 40 gb maxtor hdd.
can anyone suggest me best use of both the drives .???

i don't want to use 40gb maxtor hdd as an external hdd! i read smwhere that os can be installed it one hdd ,all the other programs and data on the other.by doing so wont the links get broken when i reinstall os after some period?

any software to fix the broken links automatically???

any other ideas??

and one more thing! ive got a 40 gb old seagate hdd which has crashed .its not detected by the bios.wht else can be tried on this peice??:confused:

Two things which would really matter a lot:

Make partitions for each point mentioned below (apart from others if you alrady haf some on your old hdd). If you use Windows:

1) Make a fixed page file (swap file) on the 40GB HDD and install the OS in the 320GB one. Let the partition size be about 10-20mb greater than the swap file size.

2) Keep the temporary files (by editing the TEMP and TMP variables in System Properties > Advanced) on the other partition on your 40gb hdd. Make this partition quite large (about 10gb for temp files, otherwise you may get errors).

3) Keep the music files which you frequently listen on another partition on your 40gb hdd. This would ensure that there is no strain on your main hdd (320gb hdd) if you are doing some disk trashing work (like mebbe running some heavy software or transferring huuuuuge files) and listening to music side by side.

If you use Linux:

1) Instead of swap file.. make the /swap partition.

2) Instead of editing the TEMP, TMP mount the temp. files partition on /tmp

3) Remains same as in Windows.

OP
S

sreenidhi88

Journeyman
i am using xp.i will give it a try .thanks man:)

ive got few doubts ,please clear them(starting with 0 partitions on my 40gb drive)

1)from what i understand from your post ,ill have to create A partition in 40 gb drive (of what size) . Make a fixed page file (swap file) on the 40GB HDD in the newly created partition??of what size!!

Let the partition size be about 10-20mb greater than the swap file size.(ithe partition in the 320gb drive,where os is installed??)

finally i will be left with 3 partitions in my 40 gb drive.
1>one for page file
2>one for tmp variables
3>one for music

done with 40gb one ,now
how many partitions shall i keep in 300gb drive??
i am thinking of making 5 partitions of 60gb each.wut do you say?

thanks again

my system config

512+128 mb sdram
p4 1.5ghz
digilink gigabyte intel 845 chipset mobo
450w intex smps

Last edited:

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
i am using xp.i will give it a try .thanks man:)

ive got few doubts ,please clear them(starting with 0 partitions on my 40gb drive)

1)from what i understand from your post ,ill have to create A partition in 40 gb drive (of what size) . Make a fixed page file (swap file) on the 40GB HDD in the newly created partition??of what size!!

Let the partition size be about 10-20mb greater than the swap file size.(ithe partition in the 320gb drive,where os is installed??)
finally i will be left with 3 partitions in my 40 gb drive.
1>one for page file
2>one for tmp variables
3>one for music

done with 40gb one ,now

OK, there seems to be some confusion here. Install the OS in your 320G hdd and use your 40G hdd for temp. files/swap and freq. music collection.

While there are many rules to set the swap size, the most commonly followed is hafing the swap partition of size: (1.5 * RAM) + 30MB

If you are into video editing then haf a large partition for temp. files.. mebbe 20-25GB. In this case your 40G hdd will be full and you won't be able to use it for anything else.

Hafing freq. listened-to music here is purely personal choice.

how many partitions shall i keep in 300gb drive??
i am thinking of making 5 partitions of 60gb each.wut do you say?

thanks again

my system config

512+128 mb sdram
p4 1.5ghz
digilink gigabyte intel 845 chipset mobo
450w intex smps
My suggested setup for 320G hdd is given below...

Partition number:

1) Windows + Apps which place their files in Common Files or System32 folder (e.g MS Office, Adobe, Corel etc.)
2) Programs which are independent of windows files (i.e programs which you do not need to re-install after you re-install windows)
3) Music and Movies
4) Downloads
5) Games

This way all partitions are independent of each other and if there is corruption in one partition, the data in the others are safe. I've saved a lot of time and labour with this kind of setup over the years. Plus it lets me safeguard some partitions from accidential writes/overwrites in Linux and also helps in organized sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom