making font

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saharika

In the zone
well,

I was trying to make font of my handwriting.
i found the software which has may be template for the font making means we can import bitmap for each charater.
so i have thought of writing each letter and scanning it.
so before i start i think many snags will definately come in my way .
so i think that here we have expert for every subject
there must be one for font making as well.
so its like project.
please suggest what should i do,and what shouldn't i and where might things go wrong.
It not 100 % tutorail.
may be a workshop.
every body welcome for thier suggestions.
thanks.
saha

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
Hi Saha,

We do not want queries to be posted on to Tutorials section. This thread belongs to Q&A section.

As for making fonts, they are not made by scanning handwritten images. Fonts are vector drawings in nature, so that when you increase your font size, its structure does not get blurred which it would get if it were an image.

For making fonts, we use fontforge (earlier called pfaedit) program in our labs. I'll ask my students more about it and maybe i'll upload a font making howto sometime soon.

enoonmai

Cyborg Agent
Many font creators and tutorials on creating fonts are available at:
*www.fontsnthings.com/tools/creation.shtml

Creating Fonts:
*www.chank.com/howto/
*www.andrew.cmu.edu/~twm/makefont/

I know only High-Logic Font Creator, and frankly, I find that program quite a pleasure to work with.
*www.high-logic.com/fcp.html

sohummisra

Broken In
Ahhh...I remember doing this a few years ago--in 1999 when I had interest in such things. I used a program called Fontographer, which I got off a software CD, and then I did scan my own pictures and somehow imported it into the program. The program then set up points based on the bitmap so that the blurring wouldn't happen. I'm sure there is newer technology out there. Sigh...those were the days. :p

G

gxsaurav

I made a font for my doom3 wallpaper posted long time back, although not a compleate font as I just made the charectors in Illustrator,

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
search the digit cd archive , u will find a 'font creator program' . i used it its good and easy.

OP
S

Saharika

In the zone
GNUrag said:
Hi Saha,

We do not want queries to be posted on to Tutorials section. This thread belongs to Q&A section.

As for making fonts, they are not made by scanning handwritten images. Fonts are vector drawings in nature, so that when you increase your font size, its structure does not get blurred which it would get if it were an image.

For making fonts, we use fontforge (earlier called pfaedit) program in our labs. I'll ask my students more about it and maybe i'll upload a font making howto sometime soon.
Thanks
and about wrong section sorry ,it can be moved.

well thanks for all for thier comments
ya i was talking about high lab software when i said importing bitmap
but from mr gnuraj text i think i would be better not to go directly in to it now
may be some home work required.
so may be i will try to go through some tutorials and all
any way thanks
saha.
if there are any thing keep on posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom