Make DVD iso from CD isos of Fedora Core 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
Make/Convert DVD iso from CD isos of Fedora Core 5(linux)

allright people.. lots of ya all seem to be interested in this.

it is quite simple. Since things have gone multi-giga-byte now a days, handeling one DVD is way easier then poppin n jiggling six CDs one after the other.

Ok here are the steps. *upload.wikimedia.org/skins/monobook/external.png

What u need:
1. The CD isos of Fedora core 5 ofcourse(the 1st five only, as sixth is rescue)
2. Magic ISO to edit images. or any other free alternative
3. An editor.
4. A Dvd Burner.
5. Daemon tools(makes life easier and lessens the free space req.)
6. 4 Gb free HDD space(+ the space the CD isos are taking up)

HowTo:
1. Copy the CD1 to a temp folder.(there should be 4 GB space on this drive)
2. Open Magic ISO and browse for the file.
3. From the root of the image see for a file named ".diskinfo"
4. Right click and extract on desktop.
5. Open a command promp and type "edit"(notepad doest work with this nicely, u can use textpad too)

6. Browse to the ".diskinfo" file. it will look like this:
Code:
Fedora Core
x86_64
Fedora/base
Fedora/RPMS
Fedora/pixmaps

7. Edit the file to look like this, basically append ",2,3,4,5" after "1" in line 4.
Code:
Fedora Core
x86_64
Fedora/base
Fedora/RPMS
Fedora/pixmaps

8. Save the file.

9. Drag and drop it to the open iso in Magiciso.

10. Right click on daemon tools in the taskbar and goto virtual CD/DVD-ROM>set no of deviced>4 Drives.

11. After the drives have been created left click on daemon tools again and select "Device 0" and Browse to the 2nd CD image to mount it.

12. Repeat the above step for Cds 3 thru 5. (and select device 1 thru 3 respectively). You should have cds 2 thru 5 loaded in virtual drives. check thru My computer.

13. Next, for each drive(mounted image) go to Drive:\Fedora\RPMS and select and drag and drop all files onto the magic iso window under the folder Fedora\RPMS.(alternatively add then thru magic iso, whatever, just add all). You will be asked to over write a file "TRANS.TBL" each time u drag and drop. just select yes(for explanation see page 3 of this thread).

14. After you have added all rpm files. select File>save under magiciso. rename the file to DVD from CD.

15. You are all done. Now Burn and enjoy!!!

Clean UP:
1. Left click on deamon tools and select unmount all.
2. Right click deamon tools and goto virtual CD/DVD-ROM>set no of deviced>1 Drives
3. Delete the CD isos if u want to free up space(1st check the DVD Image to be sure)
4. Delete ".diskinfo" from desktop

SHORTCOMING: This media will NOT pass the media check. so do no test it. If u are paranoid'nf then load a virtual machine and emulate the linux setup and "media-check" the individual cd isos there. To make it pass the media check u need to regenerate the checksums. which is beyond the scope here and worthless for home users. others google.

Blog *upload.wikimedia.org/skins/monobook/external.png__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT: src2206 and aditya.shevade were interested in the reverse i.e. DVD to CD iso...
(this is a painfull method)

1. Go to the fedora website hosting the CD isos.
2. Directly mount the CD isos one by one in deamon tools via the webaddress(suppose drive x)
3. Run "CMD" and execute the following commands:
4. Change directory to drive x by typeing "x:"
5. type "copy .diskinfo c:\cd1.diskinfo"
6. Type "tree > c:\cd1.txt"
7. Load the next iso in deamon tools and repeat the two commands above but keep changing the 'cd1' to cd2 and so on(in both commands).
8. Now after u have all the directory structure u gotta get working. load the DVD iso in deamon tools
9. Now using explorer create five folders named CD1 ... CD5
10. See the directory structure but running CMD and using the edit utility.
11. Now for each folder duplicate the contents by copying the files from DVD according to the CD structure.
12. Rename each "cdx.diskinfo" file to ".diskinfo" and place in respectibe CD folder
13. Make iso using magiciso or nero.
14. Varify the file size.
15. Any files u dont find in the DVD, copy them off by loading the CD iso
again in Deamon tools directly from the web.

I sincerely dont think u will go thru the above painfull process.
I am not aware of any simpler processes except downloading the ISO images.
Just think of my effort to write this procedure and try it. give feedback.
I havent tried the above so no promices but logically it should work.

Last edited:

plsoft

Journeyman
Thnx Roller, have been looking for this.
Rollercoaster said:
SHORTCOMING: This media will NOT pass the media check. so do no test it. If u are paranoid'nf then load a virtual machine and emulate the linux setup and "media-check" the individual cd isos there. To make it pass the media check u need to regenerate the checksums. which is beyond the scope here and worthless for home users. others google.
Will it still install fine?

Venom

Journeyman
@plsoft - I have tried this out, it just fails the media check due to those checksum variations, but it installs fine.

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

Yes the everything is exactly as the original DVD from Redhat.
The checksum fails as it is for only the 1st cd.
to make the checksum it needs to be recalculated for the disk and written inplace of the old value.

If you want to create a media checksum for the installation software to look at when you do a media test during install, then following these additional steps(from linux env):

a. Install the anaconda source rpm located on disc5 and cd /usr/src/redhat

b. Comment out the BuildPreReq line in SPECS/anaconda.spec

c. Run rpmbuild -bp SPECS/anaconda.spec

d. Go to BUILD/anaconda-8.0/isomd5sum

e. Run "make"

f. Run "./implantisomd5 ..../dvd.iso" (where ... is
replaced with the path to your new ISO image). This step
will take several minutes and not provide any feedback while
it runs.

note: Not tested. Old method.

Last edited:

plsoft

Journeyman
@Venom, will try out based on yur comment. Nways the final iso file comes out to 3.19 GB, is this the correct size?

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Umm... A question.... Can the above process be reversed (a curiosity)? Can we create 5 isos to be burnt on 5 cds? I know that it's unnecessary but can it be done?

Aditya

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

@plsoft, yes the size is correct.

@aditya, well with linux virtually everythigh is possible. it is just a matter of creating the right file structure and ".diskinfo" files to manage multiple medias. if u have a problem of not having a dvd burner u can use a RW cd or a Pen drive to write the driive\images\boot.iso and then install with the command "linux askmethod" and choose the hdd partition containing the dvd image. for this u will need to have the partition in fat 32 format.

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
@ rollercoaster

Can you please tell me how to boot linux from an iso on the hard disk in a little detail? Please... I have got a DVD writer but that's on the laptop and I want the linux in Desktop and that dosen't contain a dvd drive. I don't have a lan card also. :-(.

Please tell me how to boot linux from DVD as well as CD images from the HDD.

Aditya

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

@aditya

1. Load the cd1/dvd image in deamon tools/nero image drive
2. Copy file drive:\images\boot.iso to desktop
3. open and burn on a disk
4. Make sure all the CD ISOs or the DVD iso are/in on a FAT 32 partition(make one using partition magic or something for 3.5 gb) as NTFS is not readable at boot
5. restart and boot with the cd u just burnt
6. when the prompt comes type "linux askmethod"
7. then when it asks abt the source select "Hard Disk"
8. now select the partition where the images are stored
9. now when the installer finds the images it will start the setup as usual.
10. enjoy

Pathik

Google Bot
@roller i think he was askin for a way to directly boot 4m isos on hdd......
@aditya u can use vpc or vmware for that.....

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
Thanks roller coaster.

@ pathiks

I want to boot linux from HDD. I have a live cd. Is there any way that will enable me to install that LIVE CD on my HDD?

What is vpc/vmware?

Where can I get that?

If I store an image on hdd, is there any way that can be used to boot from that image? without burning it on a disk as the size of image > cd and I don't have a dvd writer on that pc.

Aditya

Pathik

Google Bot
@aditya i was talking about MS VIRTUAL PC... and VMWARE....google them
they r virtualisation softwares.... if u wanna boot using ISOs then install VPC/VMWARE and boot 4m that ISO...

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

there is no point in using vmware. that stuff is slow and when u can do it on vmware then u can do it better in real.

no u cannot boot from an iso image from hdd. atleast i dont think so. why dont u use a pendrive? just use one of those utilities(google) to write the boot image on the pendrive. or better still use a RW disk.

FatBeing

Administratus Rotundus
Stuck this; it should be useful for quite a few people.

Anyone tried this with other distros as well?

OP
Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster

FatBeing said:
Stuck this; it should be useful for quite a few people.

Anyone tried this with other distros as well?

thankx for the sticky.. my 1st one :)

btw this is a anaconda feature.. so it should work with whatever distros that use anaconda

aditya.shevade said:
Hi

The size of the fedora image on the dvd is too big. I will need a huge pendrive. It won't fit in a cdrw.

Aditya

dude.. u dont need to write the fedora image.. when u load this image browse to the directory (mounteddrive):\Images and see for a boot.iso file in this directory.. it is 6.9mb only..

basically the image file in inside the main image.

Alternatively u can do this by burning the CD1 image or the CD6 rescue image too.. just type "linux askmethod" at the boot prompt. It is the same...

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
good work mate
i posted here because the "thanx" button is missing.
wonder what admins are doing
might be making some good changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom