Mainstream Value PC Builder's Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gautham's guide to building the Perfect Mainstream Value PC

Many of us are at a loss as to what to buy, when we are hunting for a new PC. To solve some of those problems, I am presenting here a tutorial to build a mainstream, i.e. average level PC, which should fit quite well for most people. I am going to describe here in this tutorial how you can build the perfect Value PC, which has all the features needed by a mainstream PC, and still keeps its price under the hood. Overclocking is an excellent way to get more juice out of your PC, so I shall recommend thee a good overclocker system, i.e. - a PC which can be overclocked to much more power. The machine I am designing will definitely qualify as a mainstream PC, so no eXtreme budget parts. The PC will be of an Intel based platform, because sadly, AMD is no longer living up to its expectations as far as cheap and good quality processors are concerned. All of its processors, perhaps with the exception of the extremely rare and elusive Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition are far below similarly priced processors from Intel.

The PC is intended to be as future proof and upgradable as possible, so that you need not suffer later by having extremely outdated parts. Expansion slots, ability to overclock, usability of some parts later in future, etc are given due importance. I won't blindly suggest a rig here and you are expected to read the contents fully and only then, make a purchase after deciding what you need and what you don't.

So lets get down to business and do the dirty work shall we ?

Continue Reading :)...

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Damn. it's soo long that it took sometime for me to just scroll to the bottom. Anyways,

NICE WORK BUDDY.

Abhishek Dwivedi

TechFreakiez.com
wooo....a long tut...but good one... :)
but dnt u think its in the wrng section??? may b the "Hardware Troubleshooting" is the right sectin... :p (corrct me if am wrng)

Damn. it's soo long that it took sometime for me to just scroll to the bottom. Anyways,

NICE WORK BUDDY.

wooo....a long tut...but good one... :)
but dnt u think its in the wrng section??? may b the "Hardware Troubleshooting" is the right sectin... :p (corrct me if am wrng)
This is long because I am practicing for an essay competition.:)
So I am writing some big full length tuts.

I am not sure which section to put this in, but as its a guide, I put it in tut.

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
Oh damn! it's so freaking long :shock: What's up with everyone writing How To Build PC tuts?

I have not gone through all the component descriptions, but the tut looks good, however I have heard that the Abit gets hot pretty quick.

Pathik

Google Bot
^^ The IP35e gives some of the most stable OCs in that range. Hot is not a problem if you dont OC the proccy.

johnjjx

Ambassador of Buzz
Very nice guide. I wud recommend same parts except ram gskill 2gb ddr2 800 at 2.4k.
Spks vs4121 at 2.7k
Even wd 640gb costs 4.6k.
And gautam wer do u get a vip 600w for .8k? Even 400w gold vip/powersafe is 1.5k.

Also 2 great vfm cards r palit 9600gso fr 6k. A rebadged 8800gs. Wen ovrclkd perfms like 96gt. And mercury 86gt 256 ddr3 fr 3k.:)

Last edited:

saqib_khan

I M A *STAR*
Which internal TV Tuner card to use?? U haven't mentioned in the tutorial.

BTW, how is PixelView PlayTV Pro 3 ???

Oh damn! it's so freaking long :shock: What's up with everyone writing How To Build PC tuts?
I had started writing mine before GX posted his. Then I became lazy to type further. Then when GX published his, I thought I can forget publishing mine. But the fact that I am going after some essay competitions made me stronger and I finished it today.
Very well written.
You are tempting me too upgrade my old P4 rig.. :(
Even I have a P4 rig. This is supposed to be my dream upgrade.:(
Very nice guide. I wud recommend same parts except ram gskill 2gb ddr2 800 at 2.4k.
Spks vs4121 at 2.7k
Even wd 640gb costs 4.6k.
And gautam wer do u get a vip 600w for .8k? Even 400w gold vip/powersafe is 1.5k.

Also 2 great vfm cards r palit 9600gso fr 6k. A rebadged 8800gs. Wen ovrclkd perfms like 96gt. And mercury 86gt 256 ddr3 fr 3k.:)
thanks for the cards part. I shall update soon and delete the radeon cards, seeing that they no longer fit the value segment.

We get Odessey 600W PSU for .8k. Sorry for mistake, but I still think I remember reading somewhere about VIP standard 600W PSU for .8k.

And I did mention an OCZ model and that gskill model of RAM in the original version. But I removed them because there is no way they can possibly fill the value segment successfully. Besides, the latencies of GSkill and Transcend Value are almost the same. Only difference is that Transcend lacks a heat spreader.
Mode upgraded to SH-203D. Plz update the original article.
ok. will do.

Just thought I may inform this to you guys:

when I started writing this, some price cuts and product introductions like 9600, 8600, etc were not there yet. So please excuse the older version of the article. I hope you find the new version more up to date.

Last edited:

ratedrsuperstar

The Sexy Beast
well written.an amd cpu-mobo combo would be a great addition bcoz for most guyz the intel advantage doesn't matter.the spare 2k would be great in getting a better GC for gamerz or a better monitor/speakers for others.

well written.an amd cpu-mobo combo would be a great addition bcoz for most guyz the intel advantage doesn't matter.the spare 2k would be great in getting a better GC for gamerz or a better monitor/speakers for others.
Well, once you OC, intel >> AMD.
This is a mainstream PC, so NO AMD.
But if you DO need budget PC, wait for my next essay.
@ MetalheadGautham

Where is my answer?
sorry. I don't know much about TV Tuners, but I recommend External cards any day(useful for those wanting to use laptops later)
Nice essay.

Clearly written.
I am glad atleast one person agrees that this is an essay, not an article. Thankyou.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom