MacOS X : Got it running on PC finally

Status
Not open for further replies.

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
Well, after some trial & error & accidental deletation of many downloaded TV Shows, Zeeshan from this forum was able to run MacOS X 10.4.6 on his PC finally. Well....we will be disecting it soon compleately more then we disected Windows after his exams end.

This is just the begaining, MacOS X installed using the compatibility patch & since his PC only has onboard graphics he had to disable many things to get some speed, but now it is working quite speedy. Mac isn't that easy to use as Macboys say it to be. Enter key renames, to take a screenshot you have to press alt+shift+3 while the print screen key doesn't work & many other things. Lets see if it really is what the Mac users say it is.

In 30 mins, I tried quicktime which hanged cos i draged & droped a video file in it. Well on 2nd try it worked. But still failed to play cos it was XVID.

One problem with HSF is that is journling type file system. Means if there is a electricity cut or system crash chances are that the file system or file will get curropt. Actully this happened with him just now as lights went out & his UPS power also went down in few minutes. I hope he won't need to reinstall MacOS again.

Finder, don't talk about it. This is simple rubish. Even nautilus was better.

You cannot uninstall those apps which are in the form name.app using the usual drag & drop method to trash. You will need a perl script, well...so much for ease of Software uninstallation.

One very genuine flaw of MacOS X is that we cannot resize a Windows from any angle just the south east corner

*img99.imageshack.us/img99/2387/52297434th9.th.jpg

White colour theme, he likes it but I am looking for some black color theme. Mac users if you know of any dark color theme let me know.

Aplications do not full screen. They just don't & Mac is full of palated UI which might be good for some users of Mac. I tried safari which is good in opening pages, but then i found he was on the 2 Mbps line :p, obviously pages open fast.

Just a few videos I made & a screenshot of his computer. He will be continuing this thread alongwith me to enlighten everyone how good or bad MacOS X is as said by some users.

You can download the introduction Video here

The geenie effect.

Ravirdv

Broken In
its really long time since i m using osx on my pc, but i still cant figure out how to install my nforce LAN :S :( there a guide on insanely mac forums but that doesnt work for me

can u help me???

edit:
my config
AMD 3000+
asus A8n vm csm
512 mb ddr
160 GB(xp) + 80 gb(ubuntu) + 10gb (OS X)
i m using realtek NIC for internet

OP
gxsaurav

gxsaurav

You gave been GXified
sorry, we both are Mac noobs & nforce isn't officially supported so cahnces are it might never work. So flaw..

1) MacOS is good & stable cos it runs only on it's own hardware despite of that hardware being a PC.

Ravirdv

Broken In
gx_saurav said:
sorry, we both are Mac noobs & nforce isn't officially supported so cahnces are it might never work. So flaw..

1) MacOS is good & stable cos it runs only on it's own hardware despite of that hardware being a PC.

its true coz even AMD cpus are not *Officially* supported i thought u might also be using nforce and might have same problem thats y i asked

but for me OS X is speedy, stable, and it boots extremely fast just have to make nforce LAN working then i can throw my xtra NIC :D

have to search some hackd drivers lolz

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
You are new around these parts. I have a simple, friendly advice for you. You have got the wrong person to discuss Mac OS X with (as I am sure you can judge from his first post... and the second and the ones he has posted before this in other threads - basically every single post he has ever pressed the 'Submit' button for on this forum).

You are looking for people like goobimama, mail2and and nepcker.

You've been using it for months so I am sure you know its pros and cons (if there are any) already. Just do yourself a favour and please check up whatever he says on Google before believing it. This simple excercise can prevent you from severe misdirection. :)

And always do remember that if you run Mac OS X on a PC and are facing some problems, they are most probably due to your PC, not due to the operating system (because Mac OS X is not supposed to be run on normal PCs).

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
because Mac OS X is not supposed to be run on normal PCs.
and not even on high end ones :D

btw gx me too wanna try the OS X heard abt so much from every1 ... no pun intended arya ... ;) seriously wanna try it

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
The best way is to go to an Apple authorised reseller and see a demo. Doing it the illegal way is not the way to go. And you will certainly hold the operating system responsible for all the troubles you are bound to face.

Pathik

Google Bot
Even i was thinkin to do this since long but didnt get the time??
@gx/zeeshan r u dual booting os x and xp or hav u installed only mac in the hdd??

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
@ arya i did that i have a new apple service centre near my house i did go thr but cudnt spend a lot of time thr coz i actually found the mac to be a little alien to me but never the less i have a portable version of mac OS 7 and tht i think is legal will give tht a try ... i think i can compare it to some version of windows

Sykora

I see right through you.
I've been thinking of doing this for time sometime as well. If Zeeshan can post how he did it, it'd be nice.

Pathik

Google Bot
well here are some installation guides... i think they are perfectly legal.... if not, the mods can remove the links...
*osx86project.org/
*wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/Installation_Guides

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
What the guides are describing is illegal. It is no better than mentioning a warez website.

mAV3 said:
@ arya i did that i have a new apple service centre near my house i did go thr but cudnt spend a lot of time thr coz i actually found the mac to be a little alien to me but never the less i have a portable version of mac OS 7 and tht i think is legal will give tht a try ... i think i can compare it to some version of windows
You don't even need to try it out. Let me tell you, it is absolutely crap. Even Mac OS 9 was horrible. Mac OS X is nothing similar to any other version of Mac OS that preceded it. It is based on an entirely different architecture. If you cannot try out Mac OS X, don;t try any at all. That's a friendly bit of advice. :)

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
aryayush said:
You don't even need to try it out. Let me tell you, it is absolutely crap. Even Mac OS 9 was horrible.
well i kinda knew tht so havnt tried it as of yet :D
aryayush said:
If you cannot try out Mac OS X, don;t try any at all. That's a friendly bit of advice.
in tht case my lunch is gonna be in tht guys new shop across the road :D

Last edited:

Zeeshan Quireshi

C# Be Sharp !
pathiks said:
Even i was thinkin to do this since long but didnt get the time??
@gx/zeeshan r u dual booting os x and xp or hav u installed only mac in the hdd??
well me doin dual boot with XP

Sykora said:
I've been thinking of doing this for time sometime as well. If Zeeshan can post how he did it, it'd be nice.
well it was quite a bit of a problem to get Mac OSX to boot up after installation .

now , here's how i did it

1. Download Mac OSX 10.4.6 Tiger image in July 2006(Yes 2006 :shock:)
2. had been lying around with me when i decided to give it a try
3. simply booted off da disk
4.installer took bout 15 mins to pop up
5.went to Utilities->Disk Utility to partition my hdd
6.Disk utility went bersek , it erased my whole hDD even though i clicked on a single partition n selected erase :(
7. i recovered my partitions n then i thought let's try it again ;D
8. this time disk utility didn't delete my whole hdd(i did same thing , clicked on partition n selected erase) but it messed up my downloads partition :( n i couldn't recover it this time , it was gone for sure , now had nothing to loose ;) (btw , xp partition was still intact)
9. installed by clickin next->next->next ( a la windows )
10. botted of hdd , didn't boot , checked n found out partition containing OSX was not marked as active , marked it as active
11. tada , mac boots perfectly , every single peice of hardware is working perfectly (thanks to JAS for the Intel Patch n Drivers )

Last edited:

Pathik

Google Bot
k... not as adventurous as i had thot.... or as the guides said... :p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom