Mac OS X on X86 based System...

Status
Not open for further replies.

prankie

D PrankMaster
Hey,
i've heard that its now possible, to install Mac os (Tiger, Panther) on X86 based system, using some hacks..
I have a SSE3 based system (AMD64 Sempron), and i wanna give it a try.
some say that MAC OS runs faster in X86 machines than on real machines because of higher clock speed...
check out this link
*www.360insider.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203

What do u think???

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
Firstly, Apple has converted to x86 from PPC. There is a Core Duo in the Powerbook(I refuse to call it the MacBook Pro :p), iMac and the Mac Mini.

Secondly, it is not quite "easy" to install OS X on x86 hardware yet. I own a PPC Mac and i've run OS X on my old PC too.

It is quite a pain installing it. So if you really want to use it, then install. Otherwise if you just want to try, go to your local mac dealer and check out OS X ;)

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
me agree with mail2and... i have also user the PearPC to get the OSx install on my system.... which is very unstable & was painful to install... :roll:

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
PPC is a type of emulator, it runs Mac OS in windows...
i know that , but here (check out the link i gave) the've used UBUNTU to create partition for mac and have installed it just like other OS...
Userwill be asked to boot in to either MAC os or Windows in the bootmenu itself...
and if u have SSE3 based cpu then, mac will run quite smoothly, and will run most of the applications...
Check out this link:
*reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024180,39235916-6,00.htm
then u'll know...

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
i know that , but here (check out the link i gave) the've used UBUNTU to create partition for mac and have installed it just like other OS...
Userwill be asked to boot in to either MAC os or Windows in the bootmenu itself...
and if u have SSE3 based cpu then, mac will run quite smoothly, and will run most of the applications...

i read bout it some where... this requers downloading a 3GB hdd ghost image.... which is ilegal... also man a 3GB download... there are very few reliable source to go for that huge download... so i have chose not to go for that procidure... but if u have that hdd ghost image... then its a worth of try....

(correct me if i am wrong)

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
prankie said:
PPC is a type of emulator, it runs Mac OS in windows...
Check out this link:
*reviews.zdnet.co.uk/software/os/0,39024180,39235916-6,00.htm
then u'll know...

PPC is not an emulator, kid.

PPC is PowerPC which is an architecture like x86. My Mac Mini is PPC Based.
You can create partitions from windows itself using dd.

As usual, those dumb zdnet guys did what the wiki at osx86project.org said.

Unfortunately, the instructions for installation are no longer available.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
QwertyManiac said:
Arre andy! he meant PearPC not PowerPC :p

On an online forum, when I say MS it implies MicroSoft and not Mahendra Singh Dhoni.

Hope you get the difference.

OP
prankie

prankie

D PrankMaster
PPC is not an emulator, kid.

I meant Pear PC and not power PC,
Common sense.....
and i am not a kid!!!! i am 18 :lol:

there are very few reliable source to go for that huge download... so i have chose not to go for that procidure... but if u have that hdd ghost image... then its a worth of try....

I've got the image, it took me 4 nights to download it(4.3GB)...
I have UBUNTU image but i dont have a cd writer... will manage, and will then try..

Wish me luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom