Mac Malware: Slow but Steady Evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

anandk

Distinguished Member
"Although security vulnerabilities are discovered in Mac OS X on a monthly basis, the operating system remains a backwater for malware hackers. "We have seen an increase in bugs, but they haven't been critical," Amol Sarwate, vulnerability research manager for Qualys, a security auditing and vulnerability management company in Redwood Shores, Calif., told MacNewsWorld.
*www.macnewsworld.com/images/rw837918/malware-mac.jpg
"There aren't enough Mac OS systems being used, to be exploited publicly by viruses and worms" he added...

Though incidents are increasing, most malware targeting OS X remains one-off, proof-of-concept code. "They're things that show up once," he explained. "They serve no greater purpose other than to show that they could be done."

macnewsworld

kirangp

The joy Of Wow
I have a feeling Microsoft would have invested millions to support this cause...just to make the users know about vulnerabilities in MAC OS...they can be exploited...hmmm

goobimama

 Macboy
Thank god the mac community is a minority. Its why I never advice my friends to buy a mac, the lesser we are the better...

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I have the same feeling but I don't know why I have this strange compulsion to advise everyone I know to switch to a Mac, even though I do not actually want more people to have Macs.

Maybe I am just too noble. :p

Aberforth

The Internationalist
goobimama said:
Thank god the mac community is a minority. Its why I never advice my friends to buy a mac, the lesser we are the better...

Thats called Elitism. Got it all over in our college and I don't really like it. :p

aryayush said:
I have the same feeling but I don't know why I have this strange compulsion to advise everyone I know to switch to a Mac, even though I do not actually want more people to have Macs.

Maybe its just you have a good experience with Mac and want to share it everyone you know. :p

goobimama

 Macboy
Well that's a little harsh eh aber? What I don't want is the Mac platform to gain a lot of market. Its nothing about us being superior, or not letting others get the joys of using a mac, but a fear that it might become a target for hackers and viruses alike....

When someone is genuinely interested in the iMac and wants to get a Mac himself, I don't hesitate to give a nice demo, as well as send them along to my apple dealer.

What I don't do is if someone is buying a PC laptop, go ahead and pester him to go and buy a mac instead...

Might sound like elitism, but its not.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Proof of concept malware exists for every OS in the world that's worth something. So, it's not much talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom