Mac for the masses, mac Mini from Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gxsaurav

To fight in the low cost PC market, Apple has launched the Mac mini in their Macworld Expo, yesterday,

Official Homepage

*www.apple.com/macmini/

It is a lot better considering it's price of $ 500, Rs 22.500, not as powerful as a PC, but hey, in India, U will hardly find games for Mac, it comes with 32 MB Radeon 9200 gfx card, enough for the UI, however, the 32 MB RAM can be a problem as Quartz will have low memory to store the UI textures

Other then games, which are not for Indian Mac, this Mac has all the power needed to compete with the PC market in Asian market, U have to buy a Monitor yourself along with a keyboard & Mouse, since it has inbuilt support for Bluetooth the combination possibility are endless, also comes preinstalled with iwork & Mac OS X Panther

U can use it with Bluetooth keyboard & Mouse for a almost wireless experience, with taxes it might cost s 35k, but still a Mac for this cost is a steal, it has the power, not too much, but still enough for daily home usage, & the most important thing, U will hardly play games on it, the given power of G4 1.42 GHz is more then enough, hell even a P3 PC runs XP fine & is enough for anything, except Games

A tip for all, - If U don't play games, then your works can be done by a P4 1.5 GHz too, all U need is nice management

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Hey gxsaurav can you tell what version of mac Os it ships with . If its panther or tiger i'm definatly getting one for me . Cannot be a more beautiful dream
And Bombay Boys any chance on having that on the lamington road to cut the import duties en all . Will be more viable for me . :p

theraven

Technomancer
AHA
someone who saw the point !
first things first apple proccys are clocked at much lower clock rates than a corresponding PC proccy
yes gigahertz is dead
but the other major diff is that mac proccy's are RISC proccys
whereas pc proccys are CISC proccy's
read RISC vs. CISC Here
a scaled down version of a mac would mean some serious pull back in power and a major performance drop
still good for the mac fans out there ...
who just want to run the mac OS .. ( apart form using emulators ofcours )
i agree owning a product from apple is ... pur pleasure/eye candy/pride
but one as low end as this COULD be ... could mostly be a drawback/insult
i bet apple will make this up by providing some serious eye candy for this machine

OP
G

gxsaurav

Apple has always proven that again their PowerPC CPU are better then X86 is some ways, howeverm GHz still count a bit

One thing, the memory management of apple is superb, a lot better, however 32 MB Radeon will be low for the UI, we all know FX cards perform bette in OpenGL then y not a FX 5700LE with HSF & 64 MB RAM or 128 MB RAM, that would have been a lot better

borg

In the zone
I think this topic is already in discussion here-

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12832

gamefreak14

Journeyman
A Mac is basically for those people who have no idea of what money can buy, except to show off. The average american doesn't care about GHz or RAM. I'm talking of non techies here. Most Americans use the PC for surfing, and as a hub for their digicam. I guess if they are planning to release it in India, they will have to reduce the price to about 350$. But then again, the imac isn't intended for the casual user in India, is it? Another one which will be forgotten by techies.
But the 99$ ipod is lovely. Kudos to them for breaking the price barrier.

OP
G

gxsaurav

A review of the Mac mini in the PC world at anandtech

*www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2328

addicted

Right off the assembly line
Was just wondering....How many of you commenting on how good or bad Macs are, have ever used (or even seen) one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom