1. Hey Guest Did you know you can win an Honor 10 phone worth ₹33,000 and an additional ₹70,000 in paytm vouchers, just by replying to some threads and taking part in the discussions happening in the Honor Hub?

What are you waiting for? Start commenting and start winning! Remember to read the instructions posted here.

Dismiss Notice

Low Performing SATA HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware Q&A' started by munnabhai, Apr 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. munnabhai

munnabhai New Member

I have a Seagate ST380817AS (80 GB 7200 rpm) and i have measured its performance through Fresh Diagnose it is very low.
    Read Speed-: 32 MBps as against same model normal is 44 MBps
    Write Speed -: 27 MBps as against 31 MBps
    I have tried both mode ie. SATA and RAID mode from Bios but the results presists.
    What r the reasons for this low performance and how could i improve it.
    I have following config.
    AMD 64 2800+
    ASUS K8V-MX
    Seagate SATA

Also I am thinking of upgrading to WINDOWS XP 64 BIT do u suggest that and will i receive better overall system performance with it.

2. nishant_nms

nishant_nms New Member

Upgrade to x64 only if u have 512 MB RAM. I had used it on 256 MB. It is slightly slugish than 32 bit XP on 256 MB RAM

3. deathvirus_me

deathvirus_me New Member

Well ... the speeds are always lower than the actual theoritical speed ..... tell me ... do u find any difference in performance ?? If u do in which apps ???

4. OP
    OP
    munnabhai

munnabhai New Member

Low performance

yes its somewhat low in performing in photoediting softwares and some other apps ie. it takes more time to load than my older pata 7200 rpm (seagate).
    Also yes i am having 1 GB of ram should i upgrade to WINDOWS XP 64 BIT and from where to get it. Is anyone having that plz tell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.