Low GFX subsystem Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Guys I feel that my GFX subsystem is underperforming. I did some checks, can you verify if indeed this result is correct or there is something wrong with my system.
My Config:
Code:
CPU: Intel P4 520 ( 2.8 GHz HT Presscott )
MOBO: [URL="*www.intel.com/products/motherboard/d915gav/index.htm"]Intel D915GAV[/URL]
RAM: 256 MB + 512 MB DDR running @ 333MHz
HDD: 80 GB + 120 GB + 250 GB (All Seagate SATA )
GFX Card: [URL="*www.sparkle.com.tw/product_detail.asp?id=49&sub_id=91"]Sparkle 7300GT[/URL] with 256 MB DDR2 RAM
GFX BIOS Version: 5.73.22.05.03
Core Bus Frequency: 350MHz
Memory Bus Frequency: 333MHz

Drivers: 
Intel Chipset Driver: 6.0.1.1002
Forceware Version: 163.44
I think these details are enough for you guys.

BenchMarks

3DMark05: 2737 (Results showed the other 3 tests with similar configuration achived a score of 5503 )

F.E.A.R Extraction Point: All medium settings 800x600
I get a 75+ FPS when not in combat but it drops to 24 or less when in combat.

Splinter Cell 3: Chaos Theory : All medium settings 800x600
I get 50+ FPS and when in combat I get atleast 25 FPS which is playable.

FarCry: Medium settings 800x600
I got 45+ FPS
But in combat it drops to 24 and below.

So that it. Please let me know if this is what I will get or can the performance be improved.

praka123

left this forum longback
I too got XFX 7300GT 256MB dual dvi out on a gigabyte 915GV chipset board.does it supports pci-ex16 -for me there is the slot-but it is written in mobo manual that originally it is pci-ex4 only :(
1 x PCIe x 16 slot (x4 mode)
(*Running at PCIe x 4 bandwidth)
:(:(

blackpearl

The Devil
Charan said:
BenchMarks

3DMark05: 2737 (Results showed the other 3 tests with similar configuration achived a score of 5503 )

I think 2737 is all right. 5503 with a 7300GT is impossible man!! Show me where you got that.

I have a 7300GS and its 3dmark05 score is about 2100. So there you are.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ the 5503 score was displayed on 3DMark website along with my results it was from other system with similar configuration.

*img164.imageshack.us/img164/5394/3dmvd3.gif

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Please post which power supply unit u have.

Yes ur 7300GT is scoring low than what it should.A stock 7300GT should atleast score 3600 in 3d mark 2005.Your score is 900 less.

Please give info on ur power supply also are the two ram modules of different brands??

Last edited:
OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
My vendor had replaced my old SMPS with this new 400W one. I checked the SMPS, the brand is Elcomp. The ram modules are different. 512 is ZION , I will check the brandname of the 256 one.

I also have one spare 256 MB RAM which my friend gave it to me. there is no label on it but the chips are ACE. Dono if its working or not . Can I take a risk of putting it on my system?

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
The ram modules might be the cause of the problem,i have a similar condition in my old system and different ram modules cause problems.Even if the system boots,it might be unstable or the performance might be low.Take the 256MB ram module out and run farcry with the 512MB on.It will run fine with 512MB and note the performance.

Different ram modules seldom work out together,i had many problems with them.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
The_Devil_Himself said:
Does that mean we should use same brand RAMs?
Yes,whenever u buy a new system u should opt for the maximum same brand ram u can get in ur budget or else u'll have compatibility problems later if u buy a different brand ram than the previous one if the old brand is not available.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Sorry for the delay, codnt stop playing at a much better frame rate :D

Ok some news here .... I Removed the 256 MB Module. Ran 3dmark05 .. Results 3112 :shock: a difference of 375 :rolleyes: . Checked Far Cry on medium and high settings, I got much better framerates than what I was getting previously :D, Playable even in combat . so the culprit was the 256MB ram module :mad: . I will check with other game performance later :D.

Thank you Harvik for pointing out to the RAM ;)

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Charan said:
Sorry for the delay, codnt stop playing at a much better frame rate :D

Ok some news here .... I Removed the 256 MB Module. Ran 3dmark05 .. Results 3112 :shock: a difference of 375 :rolleyes: . Checked Far Cry on medium and high settings, I got much better framerates than what I was getting previously :D, Playable even in combat . so the culprit was the 256MB ram module :mad: . I will check with other game performance later :D.

Thank you Harvik for pointing out to the RAM ;)
In future if u want to upgrade the ram then sell ur old ram modules and buy a DDR 400MHz 1 GB ram module.Some might say that it won't improve performance but u'll surely get a higher 3d mark score with 1GB ram and most games won't be choppy(the regular hiccups).The DDR 400Mhz ram module is compatible with the 915 chipset.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^^ the 512 MB RAM is DDR 400MHz its the 256 MB which has just 333 MHz freq. So if I do upgrade I will be chucking out the 256 one and buy a 512 MB and run it in dual channel. There is nothing much to upgrade to this maching :p.

neway thanks for the reply Harvik780.

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Even if the Ram modules are of same speed but are of different brands then the difference in architecture might cause problems.

entrana

M$™ Certified Spammer
3d marks assesses ur system not just ur gfx card with few tests like anti aliasing test and stuff, and ram always helps

shady_inc

Pee into the Wind...
Harvik780 said:
The ram modules might be the cause of the problem,i have a similar condition in my old system and different ram modules cause problems.Even if the system boots,it might be unstable or the performance might be low.Take the 256MB ram module out and run farcry with the 512MB on.It will run fine with 512MB and note the performance.

Different ram modules seldom work out together,i had many problems with them.

I run 128mb 333mhz RAM and 1gb 400mhz DDR RAM and get about 20 fps in HL-2 (on my onboard graphics,that is).Should I remove the 1gb RAM and see the result.??

quadroplex780

Maximum Fame
shady_inc said:
I run 128mb 333mhz RAM and 1gb 400mhz DDR RAM and get about 20 fps in HL-2 (on my onboard graphics,that is).Should I remove the 1gb RAM and see the result.??
Just do the opposite try running ur computer and games with the single 1GB DDR400Mhz ram module and see if the fps improves.HL2 won't run with 128mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom