Lot of Windows XP Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

delivi

Broken In
Recently my computer got infected by a virus. I've completely removed the virus using AVG Free Edition 7.5 with latest updates and also scanned with Spybot - Search & Destroy and removed the adwares.

Now I'm facing the following problems,

* When I click on the Turn Off Link in Start Menu, it takes nearly 2 minutes for the Turn Off options to appear.

* After the Turn Off Options is displayed, If I select hibernate it is carried out immdiately, If shut down or restart is selected then it takes nearly 3 minutes to shutdown.

* I've also upgraded my IE 6 to IE 7, after the upgradation the Connect Internet Dialog appears each time the IE makes a request to the website.

Please help me

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
if possible ..i am saying iff possible...reformat ur HDD...also if possible repartition..adn doo all fresh install......
How much ram u have ...any system memory hogging s/w 's???

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
i think ur system still contaions some virus and spywares...Or it may be possible that ur Xp has been corrupted.
I will suggest u to do a fresh installation of XP.

47shailesh

Security Exp
Try using a s/w like System Mechanic to free Clutter from ur disk, use a decent registry cleaner to clean and repair registry, Defrag ur system once...

It may also be a issue that ur system runs a lot of unwanted prog at startup and, that y ur sys take times while shutting down(as it closes all the running prog). remove unwanted prog frm the startup..

if possible post hijackthis log....for further analysis.....

OP
delivi

delivi

Broken In
Hey friends, I've just made a fresh installation of XP Pro SP2 after foramtting the C Drive.

I've 512 MB RAM.

My Problem with IE 7 is rectified, I updated IE 7 Beta 3 to IE 7 Final. Now I dont face the problem with The browsers.

But still the Turnoff options and Shutdown delay is there.

wizrulz

GUNNING DOWN TEAMS
delivi said:
Hey friends, I've just made a fresh installation of XP Pro SP2 after foramtting the C Drive.

I've 512 MB RAM.

My Problem with IE 7 is rectified, I updated IE 7 Beta 3 to IE 7 Final. Now I dont face the problem with The browsers.

But still the Turnoff options and Shutdown delay is there.

Do these things

1>To make Windows automatically end hung processes, launch the Registry Editor as described previously, and navigate to and select HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop. Double-click the AutoEndTasks icon in the right pane, change 'Value data' to 1, and press <Enter>.

2>double-click the HungAppTimeout icon in the same pane, and edit the 'Value data' field to reflect the time (in milliseconds) you are willing to wait for an unresponsive application (see FIGURE 1). The default setting is '5000', or 5 seconds. To reset the wait time for a program that is slow to shut down when Windows exits, double-click the WaitToKillAppTimeout icon in the same Registry pane, change the default of '20000' (milliseconds, or 20 seconds) to the maximum wait time of your choice, and press <Enter>.

3>To designate a maximum wait time before Windows ends (or prompts you to end) services at shutdown, open the Registry Editor, and navigate to and select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. Double-click the WaitToKillServiceTimeout icon in the right pane. Adjust its 'Value data' (also 20000 milliseconds, or 20 seconds, by default) to the wait time of your choice, and press <Enter>.

See if this helps

OP
delivi

delivi

Broken In
hey friends, thanks for your efforts to help me, i've found a solution and solved the problem. Now my system is back to normal. Here is the solution.

I just disabled the Terminal Services, and pingo the shutdown dely has gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom