lost ram!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepak_m

Broken In
I have a P4 1.7 GHz processoar with 512 MB ram and an XFX GeForce FX5200 GPU. In system properties windows shows just 504MB of ram. Where did the 8mb go?

ashisharya

In the zone
it is showing 504 MB RAM bcz 8 MB is used for cache. I have 256 MB RAM in which is displaying 255 RAM.

In Built Graphics Card.

I am not a computer hardware genius. But I would like to know (if someone can tell me) if that's due to the in-built video memory that comes integrated with the motherboard. And moreover, if I intend to use an external graphics card, this in built video memory has to be disabled through the BIOS. Then I believe that 512MB will be completely shown in the system properties.

Chirag

Cyborg Agent
No as ashisharya said it is used by computer to for cache and other works. I have 256 MB Ram and it shows only 224 MB Ram

q3_abhi

Youngling
I think shoaibjameel123 is right. Its the onboard VGA share. U may disable it from the BIOS n u can see ur RAM as 512MB

Biplav

In the zone
its taken by the onboard vga graphics card.
it can vary from anywhere between disabled, 512 kb, 1 mb and 8mb
so do one thing boot into ur bios.pressing del key
and change this property to 512kb
i am not sure of disabling though as i myself had done once and nothing was displayed on the screen.i had to guess which key i had to press remembering the last time i was there. it was tuff....real tuff to remember and press exactly the key needed.
but since u have a graphics card, so i dont knw whether u will face the same problem.
but i advice u too keep just 512kb.

Techmastro

Journeyman
yes biplav is right it is taken up by onboard graphics.
you can for sure disable onboard graphics if you have graphics card installed

OP
deepak_m

deepak_m

Broken In
there's nothing in my bios that shows anything about cache or onbard graphics.But, i do have onboard graphics which i have disabled from the device manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom