LONGHORN - can u believe this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

neeravkothari

Broken In
"Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today. "

*www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1581842,00.asp

mariner

Ambassador of Buzz
ya as the expected date of launching is end 2005 early 2006 thats what gonna be the normal conhiguration for the pcs

allajunaki

Journeyman
I seriously Doubt thats gonna be the final requirement...
Forget it...
6Ghz Processors will be High End in Sept 2005.
2 Gb Ram Again will be present only in Mid Range PCs.
1 TB of storage.. Hmm... I have 200 Gigs.. 800 More to go...
No,again 1 TB is doubtful.
1Gbit Lan is OK.
3 times Faster Graphics Core... Thats pretty much possible considering the cut throat competition between Nvidia and ATI....

But what i dont get is, Is avlon presentation going to be really that much better than MAC OS X's Quartz Extreme (MAC OS X Presentation Engine) , which is light years ahead of the competition....
Also what concerns me is the amount of overhead WinFS is going to put on the system. A DB Based Filesystem will not be very forgiving on ur system.

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
It's definate that Longhorn is going to be damn heavy on the system resources ; but ...but but...by todays system configuration not 2005's ( end ) or 2006...i think its going to be damn easy for system then to handle Longhorn...Coz i basically think the OS should not hog more than 20 to 30 % of the system recourses and atleat 70 % of system recourses should be kept free to play playable games and other Heavy appliances....
WinFs may be heavy for now ....but its gonna be so easy on the system then and moreever i think its miles ahead to ntfs...
WinFs is to Ntfs what Ntfs is to Fat....
About Mac coming out with another Os well they rule the roost dont they ? I mean we have Panther and tiger coming up much better than windows XP ...but still how many people have panther....windows will always have that price (when Free ) to performance ratio ..... :lol: And games is still windows Haven ....

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
longhorn will b launched late 2006 but i doubt if these components will b standard by then except 4 the graphics core and the RAM....

G

gxsaurav

no way longhorn will have this much high requirments, this is pure bull, I have runned Longhorn WinHEC beta on my PC fine, & I m sure I only need 1 GB RAM when longhorn comes, rest in my PC is fine, & will run longhorn fine

Now the config of my PC will be lower end in 2006 for sure, well not bad for a 3 years old PC by that time

ShekharPalash

Web Entrepreneur
I don't think tht will be standard for LH systems... and i also don't think above config will be a standard tht time... it will take some time processors to reach 6 or 6 + GHz frequency...

sujithtom

Ambassador of Buzz
Don't belive what microsoft-watch.com says. They are the first to publish rumors about microsoft. If Longhorn requires this much config then no home pc user is going after it. Don't be just stupid. I have read in Microsoft's site that Longhorn will work fine in 128MB ram and 1GHz processor

G

gxsaurav

I m running Longhorn WInHEC beta fine on my 3.06 GHz wit FX5900XT, although now it is removed due to a lot of incompatibility, performance was smooth

I guess the minimum system requirments for longhorn will be somwthing arround 1 GHz CPU, 256 MB RAM, DX 9 based card with 64 MB RAM & 2 GB HD SPace for Windows installation including Page file

VD17

Journeyman
geez... even if that were true... what the hell was Longhorn gonna do with 1TB of storage....
and 2Gs of RAM is justified... Windows and its ever awesome memory management.... ;)

curvenger

Broken In
haha very funny, do u belive that... dont believe it man... I used Longhorh 4051 release and it works fine on 512 Mb ram 2.4 Ghz proc, maybe 4-6 ghz cpu will be there by 2006 (if u believe Moore's Law :)) but what about overheating ... theres a problem there..

G

gxsaurav

Cooling won't be a pronblem, may be by that time Intel will start bundling Water cooling kits with the CPu, in which we can simply pour tap water

theraven

Technomancer
guys
the beta works fine because its not complete yet
the final version WILL require a higher config ...
but i guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens without microsoft ..

ineo

Broken In
neeravkothari said:
"Microsoft is expected to recommend that the "average" Longhorn PC feature a dual-core CPU running at 4 to 6GHz; a minimum of 2 gigs of RAM; up to a terabyte of storage; a 1 Gbit, built-in, Ethernet-wired port and an 802.11g wireless link; and a graphics processor that runs three times faster than those on the market today. "

the article does say that MS never confirmed this only "Sources close" to them (may be even the author)

Nemesis

Wise Old Owl
ineo said:
neeravkothari said:

where did you get this info from?

didnt he give the lin k 2 his source????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom