Logitech Z5500 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

divyeshashiya

Broken In
I recently bought a Logitech Z5500.Now my computer vendor says that as it has a powerful external decoder I would require optical cable to get the best sound from it.The problem is that my Creative Sound Blaster 7.1 sound card does not have any optical out!I also own a PS2 which I want to connect to these speakers.What should be the ideal solution?What is the price of optical cables?

d

Journeyman
optical cables.. dude.. watcha gonna do with optical cables if you don't have an optical out? see if you have Co-AX SP/DIF .. that's like an AV cable.. its coaxial.. that should be just as good as optical.. that's digital too..and.. for your PS-2 i don't think it supports dolby or anything.. so there's really no point in digital.. use analog for your PS-2.. and co-ax for your comp..

Last edited:

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Naa PS2 Does support Dolby ...so you can use digital out of PS2 with Logitech Z5500 Speakers. And those having its own Digital Decoding you should really use its features.
However dont you think buying 27000/- Speakers and not opting for Audigy 2 series card is bit stupidity. After all what is the use of those speakers if you dont use it digitally.

OP
D

divyeshashiya

Broken In
I wanted to opt for an audigy series card but my vendor said that then what will be the use of the speakers digital decoder?Also I have heard about Creative Digital I/O Module .What does it to?Is it available in India?What is its price?

Ch@0s

In the zone
^^Use analog. The analog cables come in the box. Over coax/optical, it'll only run stereo with that card of yours cos no creative card does dolby digital live. Your dealer is a dumbo.

goobimama

 Macboy
I use the speakers only for the PC. I've got the Analog cables connected as well as the Digital Coaxial output. I use the digital output only when the audio quality is high (320kbps or CD) (I use stereox2 or Prologic II Music mode) as well as when there is a Dolby Digital/DTS signal. I also prefer ProLogic II Movie mode but it doesn't always work well....

What one has to do is get a something something plug (link : *www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102693&cp=&kw=gold+mono+r )

and then use a coaxial cable (I use a monster THX certified cable which is much better than the local one's, no matter what Ch@os will say).

Seriously, you have to use the Digital connection to truly make use of this system.

Ch@0s

In the zone
^^Try playing games with the coax enabled... you'll only get stereo. Also analog is a better option than digital simply cos the signal over SPDIF is lossy compressed... Both dolby digital and DTS are lossy formats so there's no way you'll get better quality than analog unless the DAC/analog stage on ur soundcard is extremely poor or it has some severe design issues (read resampling problem on live/audigy/ac97 codecs). One thing to note on analog is that you need very high quality interconnects to avoid electrical interference on the path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom