location of hotfix files for sp3 slipstreaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I am in the process of slipstreaming SP3 into an ISO file using nlite, but I am stuck at insertion of hotfixes and update packs. The automatic updates had downloaded plenty of KB**.exe files and they show up in Add/Remove programs. I want to add these hotfixes in the slipstreaming process, where are these files located in the hard drive, help please!:(

slugger

Banned
if they have been installed thru auto upate, hen i am not sure if there is an offline copy of the update setup

u can download them all and slipstream it

the complete list

or u can use AutoPatcher XP

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I believe that the hotfix providers (RyanVM's & Autopatcher) provide a facility to install the patches to the system. Nlite was perhaps expecting me to add a folder containing all the *KB*.exe files.

Since I did not find them, I left the hotfixes and updates blank (hoping blindly that SP3 would contain all of them) and finished the ISO. This was intended to be a backup in case the system crashed.

The XP installation CD came with Laptop, can the slipstream ISO prepared from such a disk be used to install windows on a new desktop (besides legal issues).

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
You own the copy of windows, and if you install on the desktop using the serial that the cd came with, its legal.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
The technical point here is whether I can use that ISO file to install XP on a newly partitioned hard drive on desktop? Will there be any problems, since may be XP installation was tailor made to be installed on Laptop?

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
@sridhar

It is safe to install on a desktop. You might want to delete the OEM folder in the CD beforehand, though.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Thanks for the posts, but the main question still remains unanswered. How can I include the hotfixes that were automatically installed by system update and how can I include other drivers and updates apart from OS updates? Remember, I am using nlite to slipstream.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I have xp2 running on my system and automatic updates are on. All the updates released by microsoft are automatically installed on my system. I recently installed SP3 on the same system. After this I tried to slipstream them.

A) I decided to slipstream all the updates into an ISO file and used nlite for the same. I chose the XP installation CD and not the i386 folder in C drive for source files. During the process, I was asked to select the folder containing all the updates (knowledge base i.e *KB*.exe files), since all the updates are automatically installed, I could not find any such file or folder and went ahead with it. I selected the sp3 service pack file (.exe) and continued. I have successfully created the ISO file (560 MB). Now, I don't know if all the updates were incorporated into the ISO files.

B) I also decided to check the RyanVM integrator and downloaded the RVMUpdatePackSP3_1.0.1 as well as the integrator. Here, I chose the i386 folder on the C drive and not XP installation CD. I selected the RVM update when prompted for service pack source. When it asked for SP3, I selected SP3 (.exe) file and it gave an error "The service pack level of the source is the same as it was before integration began. Make sure you have the proper access rights to the folder you're attempting to slipstream to." This was probably because SP3 has already been integrated into C:/i386 folder. The ISO file was successfully created (798 MB).

I have three questions here,
1) Which of these two ISO files is better, I mean which should I burn into a DVD and which to discard.
2) Nlite created a folder that contains several files (including setup.exe) and several folders (including a i386 on D drive) apart from the .iso file. Should I delete this folder or burn it along with the ISO file?
3) Similarly, RVM integrator too has created a i386 folder on D drive apart from ISO file, can I delete the folder?

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I don't know if all the updates were incorporated into the ISO files.
Updates installed on your comp cannot be slipstreamed. You need to have the update setup file inorder to slipstream it.
1. Both are the same - xp sp3, with no additional updates installed.
2 & 3 - delete the files, and burn only the iso.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
You have to download them from microsoft website one by one. Autopatcher can help by downloading them all automatically for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom