Local Area Network Notification Icon in System Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
I am using Open Suse 10.2 with KDE. It would be nice to have some sort of network or LAN connection icon in the system tray, you know so that i can visually figure out the network activity. I mean the system tray icon similar to the one in Windows.

What do I need to get that?

praka123

left this forum longback
there may be one called network-manager-kde.but it tries :D to autocontrol ya network!@tleast sometimes.
In GNOME i got a nice network icon on top panel which shows active network.

praka123

left this forum longback
^ I am *very* weak in networking... :
for network manager kde fronted is called knetwork manager
*en.opensuse.org/Projecthttp://en.o...tworkManagers/KNetworkManager#KNetworkManager
A new way

The desktop team at Red Hat realized the current interface in Linux networking is unacceptable. They wanted to create a new application that is simple to use. However, simplicity is a concept that is easier to understand than to define. With this in mind, they came up with some guidelines for their new application. They believe that a network tool should:

* Auto-detect as much information as possible
* Seamlessly switch connections when necessary
* Be unobtrusive
* Provide immediate feedback of network state to users and applications
* Work without any command line interaction
* Offer connection points as a user preference

Another important feature planned from the start of NetworkManager is its ability to function with any Linux distribution. Among the distributions which already offer NetworkManager packages are Fedora, Gentoo, Debian, and Slackware. As NetworkManager was designed with portability in mind, packaging for other distributions should be relatively painless. With such broad distribution support, application developers are able to utilize the features of NetworkManager with the knowledge that their efforts reap widespread rewards.
*www.redhat.com/magazine/003jan05/features/networkmanager/
*www.gnome.org/projects/NetworkManager/
there may be something like GNOME's Network Monitor applet(for panel )
for kde too.see below -icon after temperature monitor:

*img124.imageshack.us/img124/7477/screenshotpg5.png

eddie

El mooooo
Have you added packman repository? If you have...then search for knemo and install it. It will additionally provide you with a Traffic Plotter and Statistics of your bandwidth usage.

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
whenever i open yast software management it always spends over an hour updating its repositories. How do I disable that. Also synchronize with Zenworks is always selected in Installation sources and when i deselect it, it doesn't stay deselected the next time I open it. Is it a bug?

eddie

El mooooo
ilugd said:
whenever i open yast software management it always spends over an hour updating its repositories. How do I disable that.
Next time you open the software management, disable the "auto refresh" in the window. There is a column against every source displaying its status i.e. whether it is set to auto refresh or not. (I don't remember the exact name but I am guessing that it is something like "refresh").
Also synchronize with Zenworks is always selected in Installation sources and when i deselect it, it doesn't stay deselected the next time I open it. Is it a bug?
Zenworks is currently a real POS and will be removed from openSUSE 10.3

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
thanks. Refresh is now disabled. Zenworks is rather a PITA. I am not sure of the POS though. :)

kalpik

In Pursuit of "Happyness"
Remove zenworks and install opensuse updater.. There's a wiki entry for the procedure, or join the #suse channel on irc.freenode.net and type !zmd :)

OP
ilugd

ilugd

Beware of the innocent
yeah, i know. I said that it was a pain in the ass but not sure whether it is a pos since it is there since it must have served some purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom