Live CDs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bharat_r

In the zone
I wanted to try Linux.
So I'm going to get Linspire Live CD from my friend.

Is 256 MB ram enough for it.

Also can a live CD be used to permanently install Linux on to the HDD if I'm impressed with it?
ie. can live CD be used as a normal CD too?

Sorry if a similar thread like this already exists,but I had to start this because whenever I search I get an error:

Code:
Could not obtain matched posts list

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1030 Got error 134 from table handler

SELECT m.post_id FROM phpbb_search_wordlist w, phpbb_search_wordmatch m WHERE w.word_text LIKE 'live' AND m.word_id = w.word_id AND w.word_common <> 1

Line : 308
File : /usr/local/php4/htdocs/thinkdigit/forum/search.php

OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
one more question,is the live OS different from full installation in contents,features,etc

Also which is a better Linux than Linspire.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
with knoppix you can install linux off the live cd i suppose. but not wid ubuntu 4.10 (does the new version haf this feature?)

gauravakaasid

Back to l33ching :)
buddy, u can try out Damn Small Linux from *www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ,its a live cd but u can install on hdd if u want 2. read it sumwhere here only.

OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
@vandit,I found this in another thread,but don't know where to put this text.I'm using the live CD itself & not installed it to HDD.

GNUrag said:
Knoppix v3.3 and earlier used
$ su -
# knx2hd

and Knoppix v3.4 onwards use
$ su -
# knoppix-installer

for cloning the Live Knoppix onto an existing ext3 partition on the harddisk. Other popular Live CDs like Morphix too can be cloned likewise. With some live CDs like Dyne:Bolic installing onto harddisk is as simple as copying the contents of CDs onto existing ext3 partition and adding its entry onto Grub/Lilo

OP
bharat_r

bharat_r

In the zone
-

I tried Knoppix Live & it was good.
I now got ubuntu live.
When it runs it does not detect by Windows hdds.
Knoppix detected them as hda1 & hdb1 ,etc & I'm also able to open files from my windows partitions like music videos ,etc
But Ubuntu dosent have anything execpt it's cd.

How do I access the hdd with the live Cd.
or do I have to install it to my hdd.

I don't want to install it fully on my hdd.It must be like if I want to start ubuntu I have to insert the CD only.

can it be done?

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
U can use the mount command i the bash for mounting HDDS and accesin them...

U must know the partitions and HDDs name for that though...

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
ubuntu live cd can't be used to install onto the hdd and no settings can be saved if you are using ubuntu live cd.

you can access ur fat32/ntfs partitions in linux. just haf a look at /etc/fstab file. type cat /etc/fstab and look for the mount points of windows partition. then do a "mount <mount label>" and voila! ur windows partitions are accessible in ubuntu. or easier way is to goto computer>disks and right click and mount all the instances of "hdxx".

one thing tho, mp3 playback is not supported in ubuntu live due to some legal issues. therez no way to haf it in live cd.

tuxfan

Technomancer
vandit said:
can u tell me how to install knoppix from a live cd....
Knoppix is the best when it comes to live distros. But if you want to install a distro on your hard disk, there are far better alternatives available. Don't install Knoppix. Go for PCQL2005 or SuSE Pro or Mandriva (Mandrake) or Ubuntu or Debian or .....

All these are far better for HD installtion :)

tuxfan

Technomancer
:shock: Some people say FC4 is awful!! I think there are better distros available now. Ubuntu is becming more and more popular. There must be some reason behind it. Right? ;) :)

I will also recomment PCQLinux 2005. Its a customised version of FC3 and much better one.

cool_dude_prav

In the zone
Try Kanotix, although it is derived from Knoppix, even Knoppix has been learning more from Kanotix...

It is very good!!! Try it out!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom