Status
Not open for further replies.

varunprabhakar

In the zone
i m totally new to linux. i ll like to install linux on my machine. i ll like to use linux which is graphics based n i dont ve to do any commands. also it shud b easy to play media files n use net

red_hat

Broken In
I think u should go for Ubuntu coz its easiest distro for newbies.
installation of Ubuntu and softs is easy.If u have proper net den u can easily update or install listed softs. Since u r going 2 use linux it will be better if u learn commands .

Suse ,Mandriva are also good distros for newbies but since I havent used them I dont know anything.

Refer sticky threads ,it will help to solve u r many queries.

mediator

Technomancer
well @varunprabhakar, if u don't want any pain, then go for propreitary linux, suse! But if u can handle a lil pain in free linux distros, then u'll be promised lifetime of freedom.

Neways for Linux distros, its actually upto u, which u see as most easy. I find fedora 5 and knoppix most easy and comfortable for me! Most people think Suse and ubuntu are easy . So its upto u to decide. Don't worry media files and net are as simple as in windows. Neways to be frank, I find them much simpler and easier than in windows!

praka123

left this forum longback
well u want all media files to play right on start-then download and install
freespire

using commands is a privilage that u get in *NIX based and Linux.so dont fret away from COmmand Line.

And when u mature on GNU/Linux use debian and/or Ubuntu
using dpkg package is good as is with the case of aforementioned distros.

Desi-Tek.com

In the zone
command makes the life easy. eg if u r r logged in as user and u want to edit any file on on etc directory than u will first log off and login as root than u will open that file on gedit or open office.

but with command u will enter
su
password
than
nano /etc/filename.ext
or
gedit /edit/filename.ext
and if u r using ubuntu than
sudo gedit /etc/filename.ext

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
You can try FreeSpire, it can play almost all media formats out of the box.
Knoppix, Mandriva, Suse Linux are also good distros for beginners.

shaunak

Tux Fan
Get Ubuntu. I am also new to linux and so far i havent had any major hiccups with ubuntu. I been using it for a while, fully graphicaly and havent faced any problems.I have also learnt a few basic commandline commands.
Ive heard FC5 is also very user friendly.
For multimedia, not matter which distirio you use, download VLC media player.

executioner

Journeyman
mandriva is the best.i am also a newbie and i find it to be the easiest.In suse u can't open windows partition for default and so u cannot play files on windows partition but u can do it in mandriva

kumarmohit

Technomancer
I think You should try a live CD first to get the hang of things like - Knoppix or Damn Small Linux before you straight away jump @ installable distros. Similarly you should read about it a lot first

gaurav_sood91

Broken In
try Freespire and Knoppix as they are gr8 for getting used to the feel pf linux and for multimedia files. u may also try debian. mandriva also may not be a bad choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom