Status
Not open for further replies.

nithishr

Journeyman
I have a couple of problems in linux. Please help..........
I use Ubuntu Ultimate 8.04 Linux.

1. My monitor Samsung SyncMaster 793s (17") is being detected only as 15". I want full 17" display. Now there are black spaces at the ends of monitor. Also I dont want to stretch the image to 17" using monitor controls.

2. I have an XFX Geforce 8500GT 512MB Graphic Card installed. I have installed its drivers using the update manager in Ultimate. Whenever I change the display settings for better looks the toolbar of the program is hidden like the toolbar to close. Please provide me a solution.

Also kindly help me to Auto Mount my Hard Drive Partitions that I use in Windows XP.

Thanks in advance......

NucleusKore

TheSaint
If you post a thread with a title like Linux woes you won't get any help as people won't bother to look. Be specific.

Now coming to your problem, what did you mean by "I have installed its drivers using the update manager in Ultimate."????

You have to install the nvidia-glx-new driver through synaptic

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=930623&postcount=18

Be a bit more specific with your Title to get responses from experienced members :)

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
first thing...

you have to install nvidia-glx-new package.

Code:
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-new nvidia-settings

After installing, restart system. Go to terminal and type...
Code:
sudo nvidia-settings

It will give you nvidia settings panel. Change resolution n your monitor type there...

Another way is that
Go to Application -> Add/Remove. And change there to "All available applications".
then Go to System -> Administration -> Hardware
It will show you nvidia drivers are not in use. Install it n restart... rest procedure is same.

Note : Hope, you will specify a good title for your thread next time...

Good Luck...

And BTW, I don't think there is a Linux called Ubuntu Ultimate 8.04

Either you are using Ubuntu 8.04 or Ubuntu Ultimate 1.8 / 1.9

Last edited:

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Lol I thought this was one of those ... "Bleh Linux sucks threads" . Anyway I see that you have been suggested some tricks to try out.

And BTW, I don't think there is a Linux called Ubuntu Ultimate 8.04
Either you are using Ubuntu 8.04 or Ubuntu Ultimate 1.8 / 1.9
I think what he meant was that he's probably using Ubuntu Ultimate 1.8/1.9 which is based off of HH.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
btw, the Ubuntu Ultimate thingy sucks big time.
it has lot of bugs and has been poorly tested.

ManishSinha

Addicted to FOSS
I second that, its just a bloated version of Ubuntu with all those f**king codecs installed by default.

Also kindly help me to Auto Mount my Hard Drive Partitions that I use in Windows XP.
Your have an external hard drive partitions? If its , then better plug it in and then give us the output of the command

Code:
sudo fdsik -l
Hope you know how to goto terminal and type the command? Applications>Accessories>Terminal

Last edited:
OP
N

nithishr

Journeyman
I have managed to automount all my drives thanks to u guys.
But still after installing nvidia glx driver, my monitor is being detected but its only 15" instead of 17".
Also i want to know how to prevent the OS from ending my network connection automatically while shutting down as i use BSNL BB connection which i switch off after use.Now , everytime i shutdown my pc it shows error in ending my network connection.
Please do help.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
Connect your modem in PPPoE mode. So that, you don't need to dial everytime you starts your OS. It will automatically gets connected when you will start your ADSL router.

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
type
Code:
sudo nvidia-settings

in terminal.

In that window, you can change everything about your display.
DON'T forget to write configuration to xorg.conf file. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom