Linux with SATA

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeepkochhar

In the zone
I want to know that is there any version of Linux supporting SATA HDD. I ve heard that Linux doesn't support SATA drives. My PC config is:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+
512 DDR2 RAM
Gigabyte GA-M51GM (Nvdia 6100 based)
200 GB Hitachi SATA-2 HDD

Plz suggest me a version of Linux good enough for this configuration.
Thanx

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
The latest version of Puppy linux supports sata, eve though I have not personally tested it.*www.puppylinux.org/user/viewpage.php?page_id=1

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Lots of recent distros work with SATA. Whichever fool told you that linux doesn't work with SATA must be still living in 20th century.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah there are some fools going around spreading superstitions about what linux really is. I wouldnt be surprised it Linux gets marked as a worm by them either.
All distros worth thier salt support SATA and whatever they say it doesnt support.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
@Sandeep, all the latest Linux distros support SATA. You can try Ubuntu 6.06, Fedora Core 5,
Suse 10.1 or Mandriva 2006
Linux. Any of these will do.

Last edited:

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^^
fedora core too!

i have tried my seagate HDD with ubutu 5.10,6.06 & fc5 allworked out of box even u dont need to install drivers from floppy:)

OP
sandeepkochhar

sandeepkochhar

In the zone
thanx for ur replies. Infact I tried old distros like Suse 9.1, Mandrake 10 etc and they didn't work. So someone told me Linux is not compatible with SATA. I will try newer versions now.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Older versions do work too but you will have to recompile the kernel and add SATA support to it. That's it.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
sandeepkochhar said:
thanx for ur replies. Infact I tried old distros like Suse 9.1, Mandrake 10 etc and they didn't work. So someone told me Linux is not compatible with SATA. I will try newer versions now.
well i have installed Mandrake 10 and it worked for me without any trouble

praka123

left this forum longback
afaik 2.6 release kernels have sata support for most chips and keep adding...few hdds are missing support in kernel 2.6
*linuxmafia.com/faq/Hardware/sata.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom