linux trouble pros help me

Discussion in 'Open Source' started by quantum, Aug 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quantum

quantum New Member

hi their everyone

im a newbie here n also a newone to linux i installed ubuntu frm dvd i got frm digt installing was no problem i had a dual boot option for windows xp sp2
    cause im new to linux

but suddenly after installation my broadband was acting strange

working as if it were a dial up connection a mere 5 mb download became heavy

could this be due to linux and windows both co existing

or was it just due to some coincidence n my cable is distorted

for now i have installed windows again n formatted linux partitions

connection seems to be better again kind of

plz reply u guys r using linux n i am greatly interested but not on cost of my bandwidth plz do help

2. Pathik

Pathik Google Bot

the connection cant be slow due to ubuntu.. 4 more wait till jguru or tyf come here

3. Sykora

Sykora I see right through you.

This is interesting. When I installed linux, my internet speed increased, not decreased. But then, my speed is ridiculous anyway.

Let's see. It's highly unlikely that linux installation is influencing the speed of your broadband in windows. Linux doesn't intrude that way. I don't know if it's a coincidence. If you want to experiment, install only ubuntu, and see what happens.

4. Rollercoaster

Rollercoaster -The BlacKCoaT Operative-

there ia no corelation between no. of OS and download speeds. it is totally independent of each other.

u r telling me that after installing linux ur broadband suffered. this is impossible. another OS does not interfere with the one running. the are completely different entities.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2006
  5. QwertyManiac

QwertyManiac Commander in Chief

No, that cant be at all. I think what you say is right, its your line or maybe your modem. Also since the linux partitions were unidentified by windows it leaves them in peace, no issues what so ever. Can you try again please ?

6. mehulved

mehulved 18 Till I Die............

There is no reason whatsoever that linux, windows or any other OS for that matter can affect your connection speed.
    It could just be that it was a co-incidence or you configured something really badly.
    BTW, which broadband are you using? I haven't really heard of any broadband giving such a bad speed. At the most I have heard is that of pacenet connection limits data transfer rate or linux dialer to around about 20kbps instead of 30 kbps.
    Maybe you can tell which ISP you have and how did you configure your net. Also, you have connected via USB or LAN Card.
    Also, I guess you were using Ubuntu 5.10, which is outdated, try to obtain 6.06 which is newer and has support for longer term.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.