Linux To Power Google GPhone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gigacore

Dreamweaver
One thing which hasn't been nailed down in all the reports about Google's expected mobile phone announcement is exactly what operating system will run the thing. Turns out, it could be Linux.

That'd be a huge boost for the open-source OS. Reports that Linux would be at the heart of Google's gPhone first surfaced this August, in a report out of Asian by Jennifer Tan of Anian Research. (Tan's article is no longer extant, but LinuxDevices.com has the story.)

Subsequent Gphone story haven't focused much on the OS, chattering instead about the who, when, and where of the announcement. eFluxMedia is reporting that, along with the Gphone, Google will launch a development platform.

Read More

praka123

left this forum longback
will be nice if so.but embedded linux is yet to take off :-| although many linux fones are there.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Maybe they will tie up with Canonical to use ubuntu embeedded edition. Already there are rumours of google using ubuntu internally.
But, well all is speculation till we really know.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Openmoko would be good too. But, it should be ready on time. There's a lot of work going on with the project but of what I've heard it's lagging behind a bit. But, yeah openmoko should provide a nice platform too. Also, if such a thing happens then openmoko will surely get a boost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom